"RV Parks and Pets???"

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by BankShot, Jul 31, 2015.

1. GA-RVers

GA-RVers
    Expand Collapse

Please post the name of this park for those of us who LOVE NO PET RV PARKS! I for one am fed-up with dogs when I am in a park to relax and enjoy when I have to listen to a bunch of barking dogs and disrespectful dog owner who takes their mutts to other peoples sites to let them take a leak or poop instead of keeping their useless mutts on their own sites! Dog owners are the most dis-respectful people in the whole world, all they care about is letting their mutts bother other people who don't and won't have a useless dog!!!

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey there GA-RVers - Ask and yee shall receive. Here's the link to their website. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you will find what you are looking for in big bold print................

http://www.meeksbayresort.com/rv-tents

Travel safe and enjoy the wonders of our Lake Tahoe. To each their own, beware the summer crowds but rest assured you won't be bothered by dogs and other pets in what is really a very nice RV park and facilities.......................

Regards, BankShot (aka Terry)

3. bonabob

bonabob
    Expand Collapse

Hey, we should list parks via pets, kids, old people etc. We can even narrow it down more than that. How about a campground with one site and the next campground miles and miles away. I've been managing a recreation facility in Ft. Lauderdale for 28 years. I heard it all. The old people wanted the young people out. The young people want the old people out. No dogs or for that matter no animals of any kind. Talk about hate crimes, if we could only read their minds. Well now that the old and young are forced to tolerate each other and we have a dog as our mascot who has a better attendance record than most of the employees, it became wonderful to see everyone enjoying each other and respecting each other. Oh yea, when someone gets a little lonely, they visit the mascot. Oh, breaking the rules....look at your speedometer....maybe we should keep you off the road.

gemsinger and Mr. Wolf like this.
  4. beach89bum

beach89bum
    Expand Collapse

I don't go anywhere with out my well behaved dogs. if a park does not WELCOME them, then I do not even give it another look.

maine charactor likes this.
  5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Same here, our 7 lb "ChiPit" goes wherever we go and if she isn't welcome the we feel we aren't either so we simply move on. or don't make a reservation to stay there. I feel the main thing that causes problems with pets, especially dogs, is that some people don't respect other people's space and think that the park rules don't apply to them. This has all been hashed over on this and several other threads so no need to take it any further. We keep our pet on a leash when it's outside and we pick up after it when it drops a small load. And we also try to take it where that small load won't be dropped in another site or space. There is no real reason why the two factions can't get along in an RV park or campground but the way the world runs today, that's highly unlikely to ever happen. Kinda sad if you ask me................

Enjoy the summer and your well behaved dogs. I'm sure they love traveling with you, ours sure does.......................

Regards, BankShot (aka Terry)

6. maine charactor

maine charactor
    Expand Collapse

I like pets better than people so someone staying in a no pets park is a great idea if they don't want to be around dogs. Thats one less a-hole to have to be
    Its always better staying in an rv park that has mostly animal lovers. That way you can avoid talking to people
    Me neither, and the park where I stay for the entire winter does welcome pets, no size limits. The residents are all animal lovers even if they do not currently own one. Pet lovers are just simply much better people no doubt about it. I do not trust people who do not LIKE animals.

Mr. Wolf likes this.
  7. Kevin2

Kevin2
    Expand Collapse

8. Kevin2

Kevin2
    Expand Collapse

No dogs makes me happy. Sorry dog owners, but I'm sick and tired of your barking dogs and the dog crap you leave behind. I am in no way required to tolerate your animal.

9. Mr. Wolf

Mr. Wolf
    Expand Collapse

Why do people go to an RV park and expect it to be a perfect slice of heaven? Fortunately, the places we visit are pet friendly, and even the off leash ones have nothing like the issues the pet haters here describe.

10. Kevin2

Kevin2
    Expand Collapse

Maybe it has something to do with the current cost of RV parks. But, no one should be subjected to other people's decision to own a pet then inflict that animal upon others. I absolutely hate barking dogs, period. I do not expect to be imposed upon in that manner after paying the high fee for a relaxing night stay.

Finally Free likes this.
  11. Finally Free

Finally Free
    Expand Collapse

First of all let me state - I am a dog (and most other animals) person. I've been raising, showing, training dogs, conducting obedience classes, founding dog clubs, etc., for more than 50 years. And we've been workamping now for 5 1/2 years. So I can tell you why more & more parks and/or "resorts" are either banning pets outright or restricting them to a distant section of the park - irresponsible owners! Not saying, at all, that you qualify, but enough do to ruin it for everyone else. Despite signs everywhere asking folks to pick up after their dogs, I watched the owner of a Shih Tzu - at a GA State Park - look into the distance while his dog pooped just off the edge of a campground road - within 50 feet of a campsite - and then, when the dog had finished, the man carefully kicked leaves over the deposit. I've had to speak to owners who went off and left their 2 Labs tied out for several hours, alone. The dogs howled and barked, almost non-stop, for more than an hour (alone, hot, and bored). The owners were "surprised," because they leave the dogs home alone all the time (HINT: dogs behave very differently at home than they do in/around your camper, unless they are VERY used to the RV). Spoke to other owners whose Lab went ballistic anytime anyone passed their campsite, in addition to every time we went out our RV door (100 yards away). The adults did absolutely nothing to try to shut the dog up (their 9-year-old son DID try his best). I could go on and on and on. And then there are the yappers (of all sizes) - outside on a tether, in a pen, etc. - who are bored and want to either come inside or go for a walk or SOMETHING, whose owners must be deaf because these dogs are left to yap and whine for (sometimes) hours. Frankly, I'm amazed that MORE RV parks/resorts don't just ban dogs! Believe me, it's not because the park owners don't like dogs, necessarily, they're just tired of dealing with the irresponsible owners.
    A cure? If every RVing dog owner picked up dog poop (whether your dog left it or some irresponsible owner failed his/her duty), spoke up when you saw another owner start to walk away from poop, said something (politely) to anyone leaving a dog alone at the campsite or outside & ignoring it, we might make some headway (besides improving the lives of the dogs involved!).
    And if you have a dog and are not willing to pick up after it, keep it with you, provide for it when you leave the campsite (INSIDE your RV, with the air on and curtains CLOSED), then you need to make other arrangements for your dog while you and the rest of you family go camping/RVing. Because YOU are ruining it for the rest of us!! (P.S. Your dog isn't happy, either, and you're not a good dog owner; get a fish!)

BankShot and Organic1 like this.
  12. Joseph Leto

Joseph Leto
    Expand Collapse

I read a lot of people leaving pets in there vehicles, I think that's against the law, I have folks tell me O my AC is on in my unit,,,,,,,Daaaaaaa when there is a power failure or your breaker pops THEN WHAT.
    Many C G's have rule's ( if you go the pets go with you )
    I feel bad for responsible pet owners but bad pet owners numbers are getting worse.

13. apkperry3

apkperry3
    Expand Collapse

I wish People that own a dog or many dogs would have a little respect for the other half of the people that do not like dogs or are medical allergic to the little poopping or big poopping thing. It is the rudest thing to have someone come up to you and let there dog do things to you THAT if I did that to them I would be arrested for assault. Please keep your dog on a leash and pick up the poop and take them to the dog area before the have to go so bad the do it in the street. That would be animal cruelty and you should be punished for not letting them out sooner. SHAME ON YOU

Dont respond to me because you know you are wrong

I would like to stay at RV RESORT that were dog gone HAHA DOG FREE

14. apkperry3

apkperry3
    Expand Collapse

The people that leave there dog in the camper wile you are out playing your dog is barking nonstop until there here you pull up. These people know who there are and that is wrong and I hope it happen to you too. Most DOG PEOPLE are rude and have NO RESPECT FOR OTHERS.

15. Jack B

Jack B
    Expand Collapse

This thread was started by BankShot nearly a year ago. Joel added some thoughts then it sort of lay fallow. Boy! It really picked up steam. 52 posts later I can't help but notice how many members were drawn in that had never participated before. Some folks have been members 5 years or more and this was their first post. Welcome to the forum!! We all hope you take something away and return for other discussions.

I'll add a wrinkle that no one has mentioned..."Service Dogs". They can not be refused right?
    We have often read of people who abuse this aid for the disabled. People have been challenged when they attached a banner proclaiming "Service Animal" to every sort of pet with no visible training as a medical aid. It is a ploy that has become common as animals are more often refused.

Disabilities that are not obvious would be most difficult. I am aware of a Service Dog used to mitigate panic attacks. It is not something you could see or subject to some sort of test.
    I would hate to be the park owner who doubted a person who stated that his service dog warned him of an oncoming seizure. I have served people who suffered from grand mal seizures.
    Should park owners question Service Dog claims? Is there a nationally accepted documentation for Service Animals?

16. a737flyer

a737flyer
    Expand Collapse

We were probably a bit of a minority because or cat travels with us. As full-timers we were occasionally asked if we had a pet. The first time I said we did and we were parked in a "pet" area that smelled so bad as to defy description. After that, and for the next 6 years I lied! I can only say that in the context of the question, no we didn't have a pet. It was never a problem.

17. redrocks

redrocks
    Expand Collapse

We are full time in our motorhome, do NOT have pets, and have visited many parks over the years. I think it is a good option for RV parks to have the choice of not allowing pets, and would choose these over "pet friendly" parks. What we have observed are two problems: 1. Not all pet owners follow the park or basic courtesy rules for their pets/dogs especially. 2. Not all parks enforce their park rules concerning leashes, poop, leaving dogs in RVs all day while owners are gone, and noisy pets. Pet owners....Don't let your dog pee on our chrome rims, don't leave their poop in our camping area, take them with you when you are gone for the day just as you would your kids, and keep them leashed at all times. This would make our stay at a pet friendly park tolerable.

18. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

This thread has indeed brought a few older members out of the woodwork to comment and as JackB noted, welcome to the forum. One other comment I'd like to make here is that in our years of RVing and staying at all sorts and types of parks and campground we have, for the most part, found most pet owners to be courteous and respectful of others in the park when it comes to their dog or dogs barking or acting up, etc. Yes, we have seen a couple of owners here and there at times who just look the other way when their dog drops its load and then walk off without so much as even covering it up with leaves as Finally Free mentioned watching. Dogs behave as they were raised to behave. The small percentage of owners who fall into the 1% category and that have no respect for their fellow campers, etc. are the ones who make it tough on the other 99% of dog owners who do care and who do follow the rules of the park or campground. Our little pooch is family to us and was raised as family. She drops her little load just as any other dog does but we are right there with her to pick it up and we certainly don't let her outside alone or run loose, etc. When we walk she is usually carried about half the time as her little legs go a mile a minute trying to keep up with us much longer two legged animals. She tires quicker than we do. To me It all boils down to that one key element in camping, that being to be respectful of your fellow campers. Most have it, a few don't and those of us who do I guess are just going to have to put up with those that don't and keep our distance from them whenever possible.......

Safe and happy camping to ALL out there..............BankShot (aka Terry)

gemsinger likes this.
  19. logger1939

logger1939
    Expand Collapse

SO SO TRUE ... I obedience trained and showed German Shepherd Dogs and Keeshonds for over 35 yrs. Since I've retired I have found there are "dog people" and "people with dogs" ... the latter has ruined it for dog people. I will not tolerate dogs that bark and/or "yappers" ... will not. Dogs are very intelligent and should be "schooled" to at least the 1st grade. And I can understand why dog droppings are disgusting to non-dog people. I have graduated down from the larger dogs to a Miniature Schnauzer who will wear a citronella spray bark collar when I leave. Yes, It's the "people with dogs", not the dogs, that need to be banned.

BankShot likes this.
  20. Mr. Wolf

Mr. Wolf
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for your welcome.

There may be documentation for service dogs and emotional support dogs, but an owner can be sued for requesting it. The ADA was created for inclusiveness. It is not the owners business how a person is differently-abled.