Dump Fees?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by solo_on _the _road, Jun 24, 2016.

1. solo_on _the _road

solo_on _the _road
    Expand Collapse

Question for campers only, if you please.

I've been using an Ohio Travel America, other truck stops, and a few other places to dump my motor home lately. But right now it's a bit of a trek. I called a couple of campgrounds a little closer and was told $20 just to dump.

Are these folks serious? It would be a cold day in Cleveland before I give those folks a red cent- for anything.

I think it's been almost a year and a half since I hosted, but dump fees were $5-$7.50. Even the last overpriced KOA I was in only wanted $10.

Long live Walmart.

solo on the road

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Quite a few states have dump stations at rest areas on the interstates. I don't know if Ohio is one of them.

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

The non-guest dump fees charged by private RV parks usually reflect how much they want to attract that business. The higher the fee, the less they want to deal with it. It's called "free enterprise"... ;)

Have you checked either of the online dump station directories below for other locations in your area? Municipal waste treatment plants sometimes have a low or no fee RV dump facility.

Sanidumps.com

RV Dump Stations

4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Do you have a friend with a septic system at his/her home? If you can access the system with a hose you can dump into a residential septic system. It might even be worth considering purchasing a macerator pump to handle a longer distance run.

5. Nineoaks

Nineoaks
    Expand Collapse

If you are a member of Good Sam, Camping World lets you dump for free...

Bernadette Newman likes this.
  6. westernrvparkowner

westernrvparkowner
    Expand Collapse

Don't much like RV Parks do you? As a park owner, I can tell you I have no interest in taking anyone's S , either from their black tanks or from their poor attitude. If you don't want to pay the going rate, don't. But don't expect businesses to price according to what works for you, they are going to price at what works for them.

7. Todd and Heather

Todd and Heather
    Expand Collapse

Most businesses (including campgrounds) exist for the purpose of making a profit. Often, people outside a specific industry haven't had the opportunity to understand why and how goods and services of a certain perceived value end up being priced 'outside' what one would expect.

Think of it this way:

Easy, Low Cost, Non-Time-Consuming, Simple, Non-Pain-In-The-Ass = Inexpensive (sometimes free)

Difficult, High Cost, Time Intensive, Complicated, Extreme Pain-In-The-Ass = Expensive

Depending on location, campgrounds may be connected to Municipal Waste Management Systems (read: billed by water usage) or have their own Septic System (read: increased usage leads to more frequent pump outs).

In either scenario, use of a dump station adds to the campground operating costs. The 'Fee' charged for said use, not only needs to cover these costs, but also often indicates how interested a particular campground owner is in dealing with those who may (or may never) use their specific campground for anything other than 'dumping.'

A campground owner may feel getting you onto the property during a 'dump' might lead you to the realization, "Hey! This is an awesome place! We should plan a weekend here." As such, this dump location might choose to undervalue their dump fees. Another RV Park owner might determine dealing with campers who only wish to 'dump' at their campground represents, "too large a pain in the ass." As such, this owner may choose to significantly overprice their dump fees in an effort to discourage non tenant usage.

You could dump through your home sewer system - provided you have an outdoor clean-out (or chose to install one) nearby where you park your RV.

Near Cleveland, two locations exist for "Rest Area" Free Dump Sites: Amherst & Mantua

8. solo_on _the _road

solo_on _the _road
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the helpful replies. However no campers listed their local dump fees.

I've noticed on this and other sites if one comments on outrageous prices, some (likely those who have never owned a business) insist on "teaching " their version of Business 101.

All is not lost, I did manage to populate my ignore list. LOL!

solo on the road

9. Todd and Heather

Todd and Heather
    Expand Collapse

Probably because you never asked the question .....

T Spencer and Bernadette Newman like this.
  10. Jack B

Jack B
    Expand Collapse

Many smaller town sewage treatment plants will let RV's dump. We have experienced this a couple times and when we visit our daughter we drive down to the sewage treatment plant to dump.
    We discovered this by accident. We were looking for septic pumpers who might come to us as we sat at our daughter's. The guy said yes he would for a fee, but why don't we call the city clerk, "I think rv's dump at the sewer plant." Oh yes they sure do! We were very welcome there, even signs directing rv's where to go. Now we have found this at other small towns.

solo_on _the _road likes this.
  11. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

If I'm not already on your "Ignore" list, the eight Escapees RV Club owned parks charge $5 ($2.50 under 24') for members to dump only and $10 for non-members. Many parks list their dump only rates on their websites. All parks are "local" to us since we travel and live in our RV, but I believe the Johnstown, NY waste treatment plant about 10 miles from our vacation cottage in upstate NY charges just $2 to dump. We have full hookups at the cottage, so we haven't used it in years. The RV dump site at the waste treatment plant in Mt Pleasant, MI though, is free.

#11 NYDutch, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  12. westernrvparkowner

westernrvparkowner
    Expand Collapse

Why do you consider $20.00 outrageous? And what do you feel would be a non-outrageous fee? And on top of that, you obviously dislike RV parks, so why would you give them any business at all.
    Why don't you dump your tanks at your beloved Walmart. Every Walmart has a sewer system of some kind, ask the manager how to tap into that. Explain to the manager that you using their sewer system for free might encourage you to shop there sometime. I am sure he will see the logic of your argument and get right on it since he would have to be a good business person, unlike the local RV park owner.
    BTW, I don't really expect a reply, since I am on your ignore list.

VATom, Bernadette Newman and drfife like this.
  13. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

There are two RV parks in our area that charge $12.00/dump. One place is run down and the other is fairly fancy.

14. Bluebird Bob

Bluebird Bob
    Expand Collapse

Being in the desert, we get people who camp out in the boonies and need to dump. We charge $5 to dump and $5 for all the water you can take with you.
    Only had one camper in 5 years bitch about the price.

15. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Well, Solo Road, if you are ever in the Astoria Oregon area, we successfully use the local sewage treatment portal, which has been set up (and advertised) for RV dumping. Free.

16. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Hello Solo;
    If you were to purchase a Garmin RV660LMT is will list dump sites and their cost inc free ones. Cost of the unit is around $450.00 Cdn. If it were able to locate Free or less than $10.00 sites for you it would pay for itself in 45 uses or less. Plus you would get the benefit of being able to use the other uses a GPS is good for. And it will be probably more reliable that expecting replies to your query here.

Darrell

drfife likes this.
  17. solo_on _the _road

solo_on _the _road
    Expand Collapse

JackB, Thanks for the idea. I shared your post with another full timer and he also sends his thanks.

I invested a bit of gas, dumped for $5, and had an excellent meal. That meal was made doubly satisfying by keeping a few pennies from the pockets of those who shamelessly exploit honest customers rather than fill legitimate needs at a fair price.

I checked the miles travelled and the truck stop worked out cheaper than the overpriced campground dump fee- except for the meal. But I also got a good nights sleep out of the deal, paid 15 cents a gallon less than average on my fill up, and received "service with a smile."

I'm not wealthy by any means but I'm quite comfortable because I don't waste money. Paying more than something is worth IS wasting money.

solo on the road

18. westernrvparkowner

westernrvparkowner
    Expand Collapse

How can a business "shamelessly exploit" honest customers when they aren't holding a gun to their heads forcing them to buy their services? You apparently found an alternative to dump your tanks and many other posters have offered additional options, so a campground having a low priced dump station is not really a legitimate need. BTW, we do not allow any public dumping so we aren't shamelessly exploiting anyone. Again no reply expected, since I am on the "List".

19. RickB

RickB
    Expand Collapse

We have never paid to dump.
    I've noticed that most RV parks charge a small fee for non-guests to dump and that seems fair.

A question for Park Owners. If you have a high dump fee, is the price clearly displayed so that the customer isn't surprised? So long as there are no gotchas I couldn't complain.

We mostly camp in western Oregon at Oregon State Parks and occasionally at county parks and RV Parks. Most of the state and county parks have dump stations but occasionally they don't. When we need to dump in a different park we save our reservation slip and drive to the nearest park with a dump station. We've never been questioned.

A comment for reviewers. I add information to my reviews indicating where the nearest dump station is when the CG we stayed at didn't have one or if their dump station was out of service. If we ever stay at an RV Park that charges a high or hidden fee to non-guests for dumping or fresh water we should be sure to add that information too.

20. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Most of the parks we've stayed at don't charge those that are staying there but do charge if you aren't staying there and just drive in off the road to dump. We've found that the dump prices range between $5 and $10. One campground we stay at has electric and water but no sewage connections so they have a free dump station. And I have seen a a few RVs drive in and use that dump station for free and then drive out and on their way. I've never seen a park that charges over $10 to dump if you are an outsider but my feelings on this are that the park is there to make money and it does cost them money to have that dump station cleaned out every so often. So if they feel charging $20 to someone who comes in off the road just to use their dump station is a fair price for offering them that service, then that's perfectly fair IMHO.

BankShot..............(aka Terry)

rvking01 likes this.