Rules For Pets....what Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by navypilot, Nov 23, 2013.

1. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

[QUOTE="Tara Jean,Why do people overlook this rule! The rule is for the safety of everyone and every animal!!!! Thanks for letting me vent! :)[/QUOTE]

Those people always say "my dog won't run off", "my dog doesn't bark", "my dog would never hurt anyone or any other animal". As a park manager we get that all the time. Our rule is, if your dog is outside it must be on one end of a leash and you must be on the other end". We used to say it must be on a leash but found that people would put the leash on the dog and let it go and then claim the dog got away from them.

Ellistea likes this.
  2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I just wanted to add one more thing on this topic of pets and leashes. We use a retractable leash with our dog when walking. We let the dog wonder at times to go do her "dog sniffing" thing but mostly we keep her on a short leash. I think the main thing here regarding leash lengths is that the owner should have control at all times over their dog, big or small. Most retractable leashes have a built in stop button that you simply push when you want to stop the dog from going any further out. "Control" is the issue we personally have with other dog owners walking their dogs. I for one don't care to have someone's large drooling dog come over to give my pant leg a smell or to jump up on my chest to give me a kiss, etc. Who likes dog slobber all over them, I sure don't. Anyway, like someone else above noted, I don't need or want anyone telling us how long our leash is supposed to be as long as we are "in control of our dog" at all times, and we are. That's my added two cents on this subject.......................

Regards, Bankshot

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I'm starting to see more parks with rules regarding extendable leashes now. Most simply restricted extending them to no more than 6 feet, the usual limit for standard leashes, but I do recall one park in AZ I think, that didn't allow them to be used at all.

Ellistea likes this.
  4. cgrubbs

cgrubbs
    Expand Collapse

We expect fellow campers to be respectful of others, dog owners or not. We have had horrible experiences with excessive barking dogs with owners who do nothing. Once we asked a pet owner to calm their barking dogs and we were told that is what dogs do. Usually we turn out to be the bad guys as if we were being unreasonable. It has definitely ruined many a campground stay for us. Now, we go straight to the campground office or call the police. If a campground rule states no barking dogs, then it should be enforced. We can then choose where we want to camp based on the rules. If you aren't going to enforce the rule, then don't have it in place.

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  5. Brenda Hickernell

Brenda Hickernell
    Expand Collapse

Hello, We are new travel trailer owners (actually still waiting for it to be delivered) and up to this point in our life (ages 65 and 66) never really went many places as we have multiple dogs. The largest is 38#, then 21# and 3 at 15#....so, yes, 5 dogs.....and now that is our problem. We were so excited to be finally able to take our pets with us but are finding lots of places with pet limits....so my question is this....do any of you all out there know and recommend any campgrounds in the mid-Atlantic area that allows multiple dogs?? I know, have read and am in agreement with all the rules and regulations in place for dogs (and with 5 dogs, walking them on anything longer than a 4 foot leash is asking for a tangled mess)....so, can anyone help me with my worries???? Thanks!

6. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I don't know of any particular campgrounds that allow up to 5 dogs, usually it's just 1 or 2 that said the only recommendation I would make would be to check the website campground pet policy and call in advance. Might explain your situation and your awareness of the pet policies and they might be more lenient.

Mike

7. drfife

drfife
    Expand Collapse

Texas State Parks don't have dog limits as far as I know.

8. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

Being a couple that do not have pets and never have had them, I'm happy to see others enjoying the time they spend with theirs but please don't let them come near me or interfere with my relaxation. I'm not going to be approaching them and I'd rather they didn't come and dump on the site I have paid for, whether or not you always pick up. If you're going out for the day, take your pet with you. Walk them on the roads of the campground and let them run off leash in a secure area.

Whatever the rules of the campground or resort are abide by them or I will hope they will be strictly enforced.

To be fair, some pet owners are way more responsible than some parents with young kids. Their feral children running wild are often more of a nuisance.

9. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Currently overwintering in our favorite park/resort in southern California. Park has a 2 dog limit. Occasionally someone gets themselves settled in, w/o that key piece of dog limit information coming to light. In that case, they ask you only WALK two at a time. Keeps everyone happy.
    I cannot imagine 5 dogs and two adults in a space as small as most RV's. You are a better woman than I! Good Luck Brenda! :D

Ellistea likes this.
  10. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

The park in TX where we winter is pretty "easy" with respect to kinds of dogs, etc. But it does ask that owners clean up after their animals. It's amazing how many people still think that is a rule that doesn't apply to them.

Last winter, one of the long-term snowbirds was routinely using a trowel that he carried with him to toss his dog's "stuff" into the large birding pond that occupies the center of the park. We all saw him repeatedly do it but none of us felt it was appropriate for customers to be enforcing the park's rules.

So one day I just "happened" to have my camera outside in the when he and his pup usually took their evening stroll. With a 270mm lens you can get a photo that is quite upfront and personal and with 5 frames per second capability you can get a nice sequence of "flying poop" photos. I printed a few of the photos and gave them to the park's management. Now when he takes his walks he carries a poop bag rather than a trowel! :cool:

dalsgal and FosterImposters like this.
  11. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Some of the local campgrounds in our area have strict & enforced pet policies. I would be almost certain they would not allow any exceptions to their pet policies, especially concerning having up to 5 dogs.
    I have talked to a few of the owners at camping shows concerning their pet policies over the past yrs and their concern was irresponsible campers & liability.

On the flip side some of the smaller private out of state campgrounds that we have been to might be more lenient. As I mentioned before explaining your situation and your awareness of the pet policies (an old fashion hand shake) might go a long way.

Mike

#31 mdcamping, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  12. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I've already commented twice in this thread but did want to add one more thing. We have noticed over time that in just about any given situation, there are those that feel the rules don't apply to them. In other words, the world evolves around them and everything they do is okay, whether it interferes with others or not. The old 2% rule seemingly applies in this pet/dog discussion also. Go into just about any park or campground and there will be at least one camper who is in that 2%. Not to be redundant here but the best thing we have found to do in handling an annoying situation with pets/dogs is to go directly to the owner/mgr. and let them handle it. Getting involved directly with the offender can only lead to troubles you really don't need or want. If they refuse to handle it, then simply just don't go back to that park again. But by all mans let them know the reason you won't be coming back when you leave. And then go one step further and post it on RVPR so as to inform anyone else planning on staying at the park, what to expect from management should they choose to go there. There, that's my additional one cent's worth on this subject and I'm sticking to it................... :D

Happy Jan.17th Everyone................... BankShot

13. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

That's the best advice for any problem. You are renting a space from the operator and the operator is responsible for rule compliance and holding up his/her part of the agreement. If I don't like where I am, I move on .

Darrell

14. Ellistea

Ellistea
    Expand Collapse

Just as a point of information, some jurisdictions have banned retractable leashes entirely. Where I live, Redondo Beach, California, the city has banned them. I saw a website (I think in the state of Arizona, but don't quote me on that - could have been Texas) that reprinted the state law banning them. So if you see a pet policy that says no retractable leashes - it may not just be snootiness, but in compliance with a state law or local ordinance.

Someone mentioned how easy it is to control the dog by using that little button on the leash. Up to a point, that's accurate, but . . . the biggest problem with them is that retractable leashes can very easily "snap" and break, and the dog can get loose. I mentioned this elsewhere, but this happened with a dog who snapped the leash when he saw my rather tasty cat, and took off after Buster (the cat), terrorizing the poor animal. Luckily there was no physical damage, as Buster found a hidey-hole, but he really suffered from kitty PTSD for awhile. And my 12-pound jack-chi has had a few close calls on our daily walks with larger dogs on retractable leashes. So far, none have been a snapping incident, but in the heat of the moment, owners can't get to that little button fast enough and a larger dog can approach very quickly - I've had to scoop my dog up at least three or four times when this happened.

The bottom line is that more and more places are banning them - and with very good reason.

15. edj

edj
    Expand Collapse

control with leash-whatever size
    pick up after
    limit barking-at least at night
    no dangerous dogs

keep campground safe and clean for all

edj

drfife likes this.
  16. MIke-Sunstar35F

MIke-Sunstar35F
    Expand Collapse

We travel with two rescued Greyhounds that are Large dogs. We live by the rule of being "respectful" of others. ALWAYS clean up after your dog. That is being respectful of others. By "Always", I mean Always whether it is a rest area off the highway, a campground or the woods around the campground. It is just common courtesy. It is so easy to snap on a bag carrier on your leash so you always have a bag available. (Amazon sells really inexpensive bulk bags). All dogs bark to some extent but excessive barking is annoying at the very least. CONTROL your dog(s), don't let them bark excessively. Be respectful of others around you. Our greys are very friendly with other dogs and we only seem to have issues with the much smaller breeds who are very vocal. We appreciate those owners who pick up and hold their small dogs who get aggressive. Our dogs are always on a 6 foot leash or inside the temp fenced-in area we put up under our awning area. The vast majority of dog owners really care for their pets and do follow the rules. It is a shame that a small minority are ruining it for the rest of us.

17. BCRVers

BCRVers
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at a park near Parker, AZ, I believe it was community-run. They required a deposit for our dog. What a good idea!!! It had to be cash; the money stayed in a separate envelope in the office. IF we had no "issues" during our stay, the money would be fully refunded to us upon our departure. Like that idea??
    I think this makes the owner much more attuned to the rules and likelihood of following the rules. It also empowers the other RVers to know that if they take their complaint to the office there will be some consequences.

18. MIke-Sunstar35F

MIke-Sunstar35F
    Expand Collapse

I like that idea! As a dog owner, I wouldn't object to that.

19. Jack B

Jack B
    Expand Collapse

Much better than a Per-Dog-Charge! We stayed a small park in Minnesota that charged $2.00 per day for each dog. So a five day stay was $10.00 extra regardless of whether your dog was an expense to them in anyway. And for those with two dogs, $20.00 for five days! and so on.

20. westernrvparkowner

westernrvparkowner
    Expand Collapse

This would work until the first time the park said there was an issue. That is when the fur would fly.

Tallboy, NYDutch and drfife like this.