It's just to hot to go camping

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mdcamping, Aug 12, 2016.

1. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

We have been in a brutal heat wave here in CT, (by CT standards) yesterday went with my oldest son to Fenway Park to watch the Red Sox, Yankee's game. Game time temps were in the mid 90's with tropical humidity... yuck!

Short story, with a late game last night, took today off from work and we were thinking of sneaking out for a local weekend camping trip. But with this heat I just couldn't bear hooking up the trailer, loading the kayaks, and re stocking the truck/trailer with our usually camping stuff. Plus with severe T storms forcasted for the entire weekend I figured it just wasn't worth it.

I have been reading there has been some tough weather elsewhere in the nation, so how has the heat & humidity effected your camping/Rving plans?

I'm staying home inside with the A/C this weekend.... :cool:

Mike

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey Mike - You should to come out to my area where the humidity is much lower. Instead of being in a sauna like you are, us folks out here just bake in our ovens. :D Temps last week out on my deck were 108 degrees plus for a week straight. A tad cooler this week, we are only barely breaking 100. At least our nights cool down to the upper 60s so we can open the windows and sleep well. We've been sticking close to home since late May when my navigator had knee replacement surgery but we are ready to take off for Oregon mid Sept to spend some time sipping wine by a really nice lakeside RV park we found. Enjoy the remainder of your summer back there but be prepared to batten down the hatches come winter as I understand your winters can get pretty nasty also...........

Regards, Bankshot............(aka Terry)

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

About the only thing the higher heat and humidity here in upstate NY changes for us is deciding if we turn one or both A/C's in the motorhome. We've just gotten back to our lakeside cottage, and as usual, we're staying in the motorhome. I expect we'll spend a bit more time in the water until the weather breaks or we leave again the day after Labor Day. We had a fun swim around 10:30 last night that cooled us down nicely before bedtime.

4. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

Live full-time in our trailer.

Was stuck in Lapeer, MI. for about a month. Was hot and humid. Did have a couple of nice days. Only planned to stay a week and then go into the UP, but I got nailed with a infected tooth and that bought along shingles so didn't go anywhere for a while, until I felt better.

We are now in Iowa visiting family and friends. Days 80s to mid 90s. High humidity. Have been gone most days so being in an A/C car or homes hasn't been to bad. Have had to run one or both of the A/Cs in the trailer. Some nights if the temp gets down to low 70s and if the humidity isn't to high can sleep with the windows open.

5. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Here in Sooke B.C. right now at 71 f with a light refreshing breeze off of the ocean. It's a lot warmer inland. Last week in Kelowna BC it was in the mid 90s.

Attached Files:

6. fanrgs

fanrgs
    Expand Collapse

We don't get "71 f with a light refreshing breeze off of the ocean" in Colorado. Since we can't depend on ocean breezes to keep us cool, we rely on high altitude and our extremely low summer humidity. At 5:00 PM, it is 70 degrees F in Grand Lake (elevation = 8400 feet), with a humidity of 16%. And, just before noon today, we drove to the top of Mt. Evans (>14,000 feet) and it was 58 degrees F (light jacket weather).

7. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I was in Colorado Springs a couple weeks ago. That's about 6200 and the temps were in the 90s. So what you are saying is that I have to go to an altitude where I can't breath in order to beat the heat?? :)

8. Moose and Squirrel

Moose and Squirrel
    Expand Collapse

9. Moose and Squirrel

Moose and Squirrel
    Expand Collapse

Yep, agree! We bought a new Class C earlier this summer but it's just TOO miserable to go out camping. Spent two days out the first week we brought her home (she's Maggie May) and ended up with heat rash that took 5 weeks to cure. Staying home until weather is better. Why pay $$$ to go somewhere and sit inside to stay cool. Can't wait for Fall to hit the road.

Banditoman60 likes this.
  10. fanrgs

fanrgs
    Expand Collapse

You don't have to go to 14,000 ft. in Colorado to have comfortable temperatures. Denver and Colorado Springs are obviously not in the mountains, they are on the plains. If you go from Colorado Springs to Woodland Park, the temps are at least 10 degrees cooler. That's a highway distance of only 19 miles, but an elevation difference of 2200 feet. Today it is 90 degrees at 17% humidity in Denver; Woodland Park is 75 degrees at 29% humidity.

I've lived here 53 years and had no problem breathing, but I certainly realize that some people do. All I am suggesting is that, if it is too hot to camp where you are, get in your air-conditioned truck or motorhome and come to Colorado. We have plenty of inexpensive Forest Service campgrounds in the mountains that will have temperatures and humidity that are very comfortable for camping. You may even need a light blanket to sleep at night.