Pet friendly winter resort between Tucson & Mesa Az for newbies

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Lenora Butcher, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Lenora Butcher

Lenora Butcher
    Expand Collapse

Asking for personal opinions for 55+ parks/resorts between Tucson & Mesa for 1st time snowbirds.
    We have friends that RV full time and spend their winters at a Cal-Am resort in Mesa. We love the amenities, but a little too much concrete everywhere & the "in town" feel for us. We plan on seeing our friends often....and an hour away is not too bad. Recently retired and plan to stay Feb. thru Apr (or May) in Az. Would you recommend making reservations monthly or 3 mos for first timers? We want a place where the motorhomes aren't on top of each other, welcome newbies to join in & pet friendly to a boxer dog. TIA......
    Lenora & Ray from Ohio

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

You might want to check out Gilbert Ray Campground located just a few miles south and west of Tucson. It's a county run desert park and a great one. Located near the old Tucson movie studios and close to various shops and stores, a market, and even a Dollar General store. You park right in between the cactus and there is 30 amp electric, water spigots to fill your tank, and a on site sewage station. Check it out on RVPR, just type in the name up top and it will take you to their website, aerial views and lots of good reviews. We have stayed there many times and love the place. And at $20 a night it's a real bargain. The sunsets are magnificent by the way. The only negative is that there are no showers, just restrooms and you can only stay a maximum of 7 days and then leave and wait a week to return. Nice thing is there are several other nice parks in and around Tucson to where you can leave and stay at one of them and then return again if you choose to..............

Regards, BankShot..............(aka Terry)

3. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

http://www.sunscapervresort.com/ Have lots that are renting out in the office and private lots that owners rent theirs. Owners who have nice friendly quiet dog(s) and pick up it's poo are most welcome.:) I would email or call for reservations or/and look under the classifieds for private lots.

4. Lenora Butcher

Lenora Butcher
    Expand Collapse

Thank You! Hubby & I looked at some images on Gilbert Ray and it looks beautiful. I think it would be very do-able for a week visiting around the area, then head a little closer to Mesa area for a few more amenities. Definitely a consideration as our first place in Arizona. Thanks again!

5. Lenora Butcher

Lenora Butcher
    Expand Collapse

WOW! Thank you for the link! I never heard of a RV resort that offer private lots for rent. I noticed many were fenced in encouraging pets. This would be perfect for our senior boxer that is traveling with us. He's gentle and we are clean up fanatics...even in our own yard...lol And the location sounds great. Appreciate the info...