Directions??

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Gary Stanton, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Gary Stanton

Gary Stanton
    Expand Collapse

Just wondering why the link to view the campground location on a map has disappeared. It was so easy to just click it on and see where the campground was located, instead of having to go to Google maps.

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

The maps we display on our site were and still are Google maps, but we have a new way of presenting them. The box with the link to the map has been replaced by an actual map on the right side of the park's listing. There have been times when the new maps were not displaying correctly, but we are trying to work out the kinks, and when I checked them this morning, everything seemed to be working fine.

With the old link, no map was visible so you had no idea where the park was located unless you clicked on the link. Then a small map appeared which you could expand to a larger view. Now the small map is seen on the park's listing so you will immediately get an idea of where the park is located, and the View Larger Map function is still available if you want to expand your view.

That said, what type device are you using? Computer? Tablet? Smartphone? and what operating system and browser are you using? Since this is a new function, we are trying to be sure it is compatible with everything, so if you are having trouble with a specific device we would like to know about it.

3. Gary Stanton

Gary Stanton
    Expand Collapse

I use an android tablet. On my tablet there is not any type of map that shows up on the site.

4. Jerry S

Jerry S
    Expand Collapse

I use a notebook and Google Chrome browser. The box with the maps dshos a message saying that the Google map will not load. This has been happening for almost a week.

5. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I was using Windows 10 with Explorer 11. Any google map that was embedded would not show. I switched to Firefox and bingo. No problems. I did try playing around with Explorer 11 but everything I tried failed. I'm not impressed with Windows 10.

Darrell

6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I use Windows 10.1 and the latest version of FIrefox and everything works just fine. For what it's worth I like this new map feature as it does everything that Texasrvers said it does and does it well. Much more convenient to be able to take a quick look at where a given park or campground is basically located and then by clicking on "View Larger Map" we can go to a full screen version of the map for a closer look, etc. As with any changes made it takes a short while to become accustomed to them but from what I've seen with past changes on this forum, they have all basically been implemented for our benefit and to make things just a bit easier to go from point A to point B, etc. Just my opinion on this of course, someone else using it may not agree. But then again not all of us can be pleased and content at the same time. Or can we.......... :rolleyes:

BankShot............(aka Terry)

#6 BankShot, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  7. Russ60

Russ60
    Expand Collapse

I agree Terry. It is also very helpful to look at the state map and see where/what other CG options are available as you are traveling down the road or doing trip planning.

BankShot likes this.
  8. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

You bet, its always good to have a backup plan in place, especially during certain "tourist" seasons in various areas of the country. I feel this is the best forum for sharing, planning, and discussing ideas, adventures, and overall friendliness. Great group of folks on board, any of who are only too happy to be of assistance when asked or needed. Travel safe Russ60 wherever your travels take you............

Regards, BankShot.........(aka Terry)

9. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks for the input about this. We are still tweaking the map setup and hope that it's a good addition. Thanks for your patience.

10. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

FWIW the large maps put the map pin for a park at the location contained in the RVPR database, not the location of the Google Maps pin for the same park. There's nothing particularly wrong with, other than the fact that the some users might be confused. See the attached screenshot for an example.

ramblin.PNG

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

This is good to point out, and is mostly due to the fact that when RVPR first started, pins were usually put at the entrance to the park's driveway whereas Google tends to put their labels right on top of the camp. Unfortunately some driveways are very long which sometimes puts these two markers quite a distance from each other as this example demonstrates.

12. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Isn't this still where we place our pins? That's what I was told when I first became an admin and no one ever told me it had been changed.

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

As far as I know that guideline for placing pins has not been changed.

14. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

That's what I thought but I was puzzled by your choice of words "......when RVPR first started, pins were usually put at the entrance to the park's driveway...." as if the current rules were somehow different.

15. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Sorry for the confusion. I was simply trying to explain that when RVPR first started, it was decided to put the pin at the entrance to the park's driveway so that members would see where to turn into the park, but sometimes the entrance is quite a distance from the actual campsites. This means that when maps open, you will see our pin, but the actual campground may be nowhere in sight leading you to believe that our pin is in the wrong place when it is not.

Again yours is a good example of this. If you go to the park's listing and open the larger map, our pin is shown at the entrance to the park. Using the "earth" view you can see some RVs in the bottom left corner of the map, but I think they are stored units. To see the actual campsites you have to zoom out a little bit or drag the map up from the bottom. If someone did not understand that our pins are set at the entrance, they might miss seeing the actual location of the park.