Bath House Hours?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Cyclonic, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

We have plans to travel out to the San Antonio in June and I thought I had figured out which campground we would use for the week we are there for an event. Since we were in San Antonio this weekend I figured I would pull in, check them out, and just make a reservation right there.

The campground looked great, so we went into the office to make a reservation. Since it will be June in Texas I asked for a site with lots of tree and was presented with a few options, and choose one saying it also looked good as it was close to the bath house and our small travel trailer does not have facilities. I was then told the bath house is only open 8am-9pm.

Never run into that before, and pretty much a deal killer for us. It also was not mentioned, so I was glad I stopped, though it now makes me think it would be wise to call campgrounds ahead of time more often, I rarely do.

I know it is not a concern for most folks here, but has anyone ever run into bath houses being completely closed at night? Why would a park do this?

2. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We have been to parks where the facilities have always been locked but the guests have always had access via code for the lock. I have never heard of a place being locked down for the night. That's crazy.

Darrell

3. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

Could be that people who aren't staying at the park are coming in late at night to take free showers. Messing up the bathhouse. Have seen this at campgrounds I have workamped at.

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We don't use park "facilities" but on rare occasions as we are fully self contained. However in all our travels when we sign in we have either been given a special code to use or an actual card that is inserted in a slot, to gain entry 24 hours a day. One park we stayed at the card had to be "waived" over a small area on the attached pad on the door to get in. I can't remember ever staying at a park that had only limited special hours. As Tallboy indicated in his post, troubles with outsiders may have been what caused the park to take this position? I doubt you will find this to be widespread but it would not be good to come in late at night off the road in an RV with no self contained bathroom and find that you are locked out of the park's facilities and can't take a shower...Phew!!!. Of course Cyclonic, you could always sleep outside on the picnic table................. :D

Regards, BankShot..............(aka Terry)

5. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

When they said bath houses were closed, did they mean just the showers, or did they mean showers and toilets?

6. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

That has always been my experience as well, they give out a key or a code.

If they were having trouble with people coming in late to use the facilities, it is not that expensive to put a key code lock on it that would solve the problem.

Just found it very odd and very glad I didn't just reserve the place online.

7. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

Asked that, and yes, both.

8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

It's a concern for us too. Though we have a shower, ours is just small to move around in so we use it for storage. We always use the facilities showers.

I have never come across a bathroom/shower being locked up at night. Sounds like this campground has had some problems at night in the past.

I guess this is one of those odd 10% rules you find at private campgrounds.

Mike