Rv Fireplaces, what's the appeal?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mdcamping, Nov 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

HeyJoel -

Wouldn't you have to be looking up at the flames...... :rolleyes: Much nicer if the flames are at ground level where they normally are.............. :D

Happy Trails, BankShot...........(aka Terry)

Jason Goodwin likes this.
  2. Vicki K

Vicki K
    Expand Collapse

That is true, but think of it as an all in one! LOL

3. Ghettomedic

Ghettomedic
    Expand Collapse

We use ours often and it is very effective in keeping our entire rig warm down to about 32 degrees outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vicki K likes this.
  4. Damon-Becky

Damon-Becky
    Expand Collapse

We sure used ours a few weeks ago when our propane ran dry. Surprised me as we thought both tanks were full but then stovetop went slam out while cooking. The forced air heat kept us warm into the next day. Fireplace is ELECTRIC and thermostat controlled.

5. Fun finders

Fun finders
    Expand Collapse

Besides being a source or heat it's sort of romantic snuggled up on the couch watching a movie with your other half.(she made me post this)

Onemoretrail and momdoc like this.
  6. momdoc

momdoc
    Expand Collapse

Smart other half :)

7. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

Have to say I really dont get the whole internal electric fire thing but each to their own......LOL. These are the only RV fires you need...LOL
    1048140_10201419432430352_1158988629_o.jpg
    Van
    1040881_10201419457910989_1260052044_o.jpg
    Kids
    1015003_10201419421870088_514265943_o.jpg
    Fire

Ellistea and mdcamping like this.
  8. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

The difference between Camping and Glamping. It matters what type of park I'm in, where I am and then I guess the mood I'm in. What I don't like is my neighbors smoke in my coach. :)

Darrell

Jason Goodwin likes this.
  9. momdoc

momdoc
    Expand Collapse

What did Kit Carson once say...."if I can see the smoke from my neighbor's chimney, then he is too close"
    That is one of the reasons why I like the state parks and national parks . The sites are usually far apart that noise and fires are usually not a problem

momdoc

10. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

Hey Jason! I can match you, we use our Wilcor tri-pod grill for our outdoor cooking! :cool:

There are situations when campfire smoke can be a good thing, adds a good flavor to our chicken and steak meals!

Mike

Rollin Ollens and Jason Goodwin like this.
  11. Concretia

Concretia
    Expand Collapse

My husband is slowly dying of a lung disease brought on by chemicals in his workplace (he was never a smoker). We don't "whine" and have never asked anyone to put out their campfire. Styx believes that they must be burned to enjoy the camping experience. I'm sorry that anyone would project their negative feelings enough to assume we would go all "Sierra" and try to legislate anyone else's good time. Please do not make assumptions about other people's situations. I'll chalk it up to you having a bad day. BTW, we do enjoy an Amazon Fireplace app on the tv, yup, it crackles too! Happy camping!

Ellistea likes this.
  12. Jason Goodwin

Jason Goodwin
    Expand Collapse

@Concretia I think I would speak for many when I say what you are going through is both heart wrenching and admirable for yours and your husbands bravery at this horrible time of your life. I honestly believe that nobody here would offer any offence to anyone who makes a personal choice for one of these items. I think more than anything the posts here involve light hearted fun and the odd chest poke and giggle. I too have been known to warm my hands on an amazon fire........We send nothing more than best wishes to you and yours.

Jason

13. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

This whole campfire thing in campgrounds has strong followings on both sides. From my experience in building fires in my own backyard fire pit over the years I have learned one thing. The amount of smoke that is emitted is directly related to what is being burned in a fire. I have neighbors who burn fires that send up smoke plumes that inundate the entire neighborhood and yet others who have fires burning send up hardly a trace of smoke. Burning wet or uncured woods and other scrap materials is the primary cause of smoke. Burning dry and/or cured wood with no additional "additives" makes for an almost smokeless fire. Also how the wood is stacked to burn also contributes to how hot the fire burns and how much smoke it will put off. Some folks simply gather up a bunch of wood, wet, damp, and dry and toss it in a pile, take out the old can of charcoal lighter fluid, spritz that pile, and then stand back and toss a match on it. Oh and of course instead of using kindling on the bottom and gradually increasing the size of the logs, etc. as the pile is built, they cram as much paper goods and used pizza boxes, on the bottom as they can, hoping this will be enough to get the wood going, etc. Nobody likes to have smoke coming in thru their windows or door, or billowing thru their campsite on a beautiful evening that has been planned outdoors but sometimes it happens and that's just how it is. I think some "edumaction" on how to properly build a campfire is in order for many who don't know how but, unfortunately, I doubt too many would pay attention anyway and just go on using their own smoke producing ways. To Concretia: Our prayers to you and your husband for many more smokeless camping experiences. May the fires burning nearby your campsite be from those that do know how to burn a smokeless and enjoyable fire...................

Warmest regards, BankShot............(aka Terry)

14. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Anyone who has ever owned a wood-burning stove is well-aware of the relationship between what you burn and its emissions. A key problem at CG's is that campers are dependent on obtaining wood locally because of "don't bring out of area" wood restrictions in so many locales. For many that means buying wood at the CG store and quite often that wood isn't kept particularly dry, nor has it been adequately seasoned. Adding trash to it definitely makes it worse, but if you're burning wet, green softwood instead of aged hardwood your fire is going to smoke regardless of what you add to it.

BankShot and Jason Goodwin like this.
  15. momdoc

momdoc
    Expand Collapse

We have found on occasion that we have gotten "wet" wood from the local stores (Publix, Safeway etc). If you purchase a bundle of wood and it is very heavy then chances are it is "wet". One of he things we do is take the wet wood and lay it out around the back of the fire ring when we are having a campfire. The heat it is exposed to will help dry it out. After several "drying fires" the wood burns much better as lots of the water content has been leached out.

momdoc

BankShot and mdcamping like this.
  16. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

The worst experience I had was with a local campground selling fire wood (noted on my first review here) where I paid somewhere around $25 do have the campground deliver wood to my site... obviously my big mistake was not inspecting the wood in advance. After an hour of exhausting all my fire starters and watching the wood foam I gave up. I swear they must have pulled the wood out of the local pond! LOL

The best experience was a few yrs ago with another local campground (also noted on a review here) where he was selling raw lumber out of a 100 year old hotel he was tearing down. Wood was so dry all I needed was to put a lighter to it and it would light! Made that nice popping sound!

Mike

#36 mdcamping, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Jason Goodwin and BankShot like this.
  17. Richardae

Richardae
    Expand Collapse

after reading your all conversation I think most of the people having problem with fireplace . I also had same issue but now I installed a electric fireplace after reading this article https://sortedforyou.com/best-electric-fireplace
    some benefits I found by following these steps:
    Keep indoor temperature at 65 degrees or hotter.

Remain dry since wet dress chills your body all the more rapidly.

Dress Smart – shield your lungs from chilly air. Layer up! Wearing 2 or 3 more slender layers of baggy apparel is hotter than a solitary layer of thick attire. Consider getting your thermals!

Fundamental winter wears: caps, gloves or ideally gloves, winter coat, boots, and a scarf to cover your mouth and nose.

18. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

This thread is over a year and a half old. I'm going to close it. It you wish to open a new thread on fireplaces feel free to do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.