" Playing it safe.....hopefully? "

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by BankShot, Mar 18, 2017.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I always use great caution when it comes to propane and am asking for some thoughts on what I am hoping is the correct way to proceed. I inadvertently ran our propane tank dry last week and I mean dry to where I was turning on the furnace and the stove and finding out the furnace would not stay on and the stove refused to light. Took this old brain a minute to figure out that we were out of propane. So by trying to get both turned on I surely let air get into the lines. We got the tank filled yesterday and before I proceed I am asking if what I plan to do is correct. I will turn on a burner on the stove and let it run for about 10 seconds. Door and a couple of windows open of course. Then I will turn it off and wait a few minutes and repeat this. Then I will try lighting the burner on the stove as I think the line will be purged and propane will be flowing once again. It should light. My main question is will this also purge the line to the furnace and the fridge or is there something I need to do to get them both running on propane again? I haven't called an RV place as yet and thought some of you would know the proper way to do this so please jump in and let me know. I know that most of you don't want to see old BankShot go BOOM.......... :eek: Your input would be greatly appreciated as I don't want myself to go BOOM either......... :D

2. Fun finders

Fun finders
    Expand Collapse

Going BOOM is never a good idea (I sort or frown upon that). I've run out of propane a few times myself. You are on the right track by lighting the stove first. Although it may not purge the lines to the other appliances they should light up by themselves after a few minutes. Just be sure to turn up the thermostats for the fridge and furnace, then once they start return them back to their normal settings.

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

The fridge, furnace, and water heater have gas valves that will close when the appliance doesn't light, preventing air from entering the lines other than the last few inches. The stove usually has it's own secondary regulator that also prevents air from entering the lines. Just hold a match in front of a range burner or press/ turn the igniter while you turn it on and it will ignite quickly. We frequently run our add-on external cylinders dry and have no relighting issues with anything when a fresh cylinder is connected.

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Fun Finders and NY Dutch for your input. I have successfully purged the propane lines as I outlined I would do and all is working fine once again. This was a first time doing this for me as I have never let the tank run empty before and, as I mentioned in my original post, I always exercise great caution when it comes to messing with propane. We are ready to get the heck outta Dodge for a few weeks starting early May and I am currently checking all pertinent systems to make sure everything is working and running correctly prior to pulling in the anchor and sailing away. It's been a tad longer than our normal stay at home so we are both anxious to get out on the road again.............

Regards, BankShot............(aka Terry)

5. Fun finders

Fun finders
    Expand Collapse

Lucky you for getting out on the road early. Our trailer is still in winter storage. Although we will do quite a few short trips beginning mid May our month long road trip won't start until July.
    Safe travels..Greg & Miranda

6. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Were less than 4 weeks from our first local camping trip, Snow is finally starting to melt away. After a warm January & February winter has paid us back. Last year was a cold spring and I had to dewinterized 2 days before our first trip. I have a feeling this spring will not be any different.

Mike

7. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I sincerely hope everyone up north gets a chance to get on the road soon! (He says just a bit smugly as he sits in his motorhome in Silver Springs State Park near Ocala, FL cooling off after another 80 deg plus day outside.) ;):D

BankShot likes this.
  8. Fun finders

Fun finders
    Expand Collapse

That's okay rub it in I can take it. Today we hit a high of 0C (32F)

9. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Yep, I monitor the remote indoor and outdoor temp sensors at our Adirondack cottage in upstate NY. It got all the way up to 34 deg F there today. We're not in any hurry to get back there... :cool::)

10. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We started our first trip out yesterday. Spring has sprung in Victoria, Canada (about three weeks later than it should have). Cherry blossoms and Daffodils are out in plenty now though. I'm hoping for a long dry summer.

Darrell

11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Normally by this time we would have been over to AZ, spent about 2-1/2 to 3 weeks tanning our old bones and sipping margaritas, etc. and be ready to get going on our second trip of the year, but this year the weather just wasn't up to par and it made no sense to drive there in back in the rain, snow and wind only to be in more rain where we like to go. So we are already a trip behind and it's Springtime already for cryin' out loud........:( Oh well, like the rest of you, we be patient and just thankful we can both still climb aboard and take trips as we do......

BankShot...........(aka Terry)

12. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

Kinda sounds like the normal purging of lines that I do almost every time we camp? We don't fulltime, so when we park our TT between trips the propane lines usually get some air in them.

I just turn on one of the stove top burners and use a lighter against it (so I am not constantly using the normal starter). It will light after a few seconds. Then I ignite the other burners. Shut them off, then turn on water heater. May take a couple tries to light, but then it works. Same with refrig.

Once I go through that, which usually takes less than 5 minutes, our propane system is fine for the weekend. Sometimes I don't have to "purge", everything will just light up.

BankShot and HappiestCamper like this.
  13. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Tom - This was the first time I have let the tank run completely empty, and it was by accident. Normally I have it filled when we get to 1/4 tank. Never have had a problem with air in the lines from just sitting for a month or two but this time I knew I had let every last drop and fume get used and the burners on the stove were sucking pure, clean and probably breathable oxygen. Thanks again to everyone who posted here, I feel much mo betta now knowing that if it ever happens again, I won't be blowing the coach into the next county................:eek:

Regards, BankShot............(aka Terry)