" It Be On The Road Again Time "

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by BankShot, Apr 2, 2017.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

It be Spring and I can smell that lovely desert air already and we still have a month before we leave. Just a quick note to say that if any of you folks on this forum are by chance in the Tuscon area and just happen to be staying at the Gilbert Ray Campground between May 11th and 17th, old BankShot and his trusty co-pilot and chief navigator will be anchored down in one of our favorite spaces in Loop A. You can't miss our coach, it's the one with the "RVPR-BankShot" plaque emblazoned on the front..........:D So stop by if you are friendly folks and are curious to find out who this BankShot character is, etc. We'd be staying longer but there's a 7 day stay limit and then we have to leave and either come back a week later or move on, and we usually move on and visit new places. And if we don't get to meet any of you fellow RVPR folks and shake a hand that's okay because after a glass or three of fine wine we become our own good friends and then the real games begin........... :rolleyes:

Have a great RV season everyone, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

#1 BankShot, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    CyndiTad and FosterImposters like this.
  2. momdoc

momdoc
    Expand Collapse

Sorry we will miss you. We get to the Tucson area mid June.

momdoc

3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Terry if we were out in your neck of the woods, we would definitely stop by! Now if we ever get out your way some day keep in mind we enjoy a good craft beer! :D

First trips of the year are always awesome! especially when you have had a long cold winter! Have fun on your upcoming trip!

Mike

4. Russ60

Russ60
    Expand Collapse

Keep us updated on your whereabouts.... we will start our wandering soon.

5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We plan on taking 3 to 4 days before arriving at Gilbert Ray Campground on 5/11. Will leave there on 5/17 and haven't as yet chosen our route home but we plan on about a week to get back. We love Gilbert Ray, have been there many times in the past but missed last year due to roaming around further north in AZ. Where will your "wanderings" be taking you.........?

Regards, BankShot............(aka Terry)

6. Russ60

Russ60
    Expand Collapse

We are looking at the trip now but would like to hit Az in. June and the make our way north. Still in the formulation phase. We have some family challenges to overcome.

7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

June is when it starts getting hot in the southern part of the state so May is about the last month we go there. It gets "warm" in the northern part also but not to the extent it does down south. We've done the Camp Verde/Sedona/Cottonwood/Jerome run in May and found the weather to be very nice both in the daytime and at night. We are doing the CGR thing this year albeit a tad later than we usually do but there's this little donut shop about 4 miles from the campground and I for one need my donut fix for the year............. :D

Regards, BankShot...............(aka Terry)

8. Russ60

Russ60
    Expand Collapse

We will stop in Tucson to see some relatives, but will head up to Sedona after that.... really like the high plains. Our plan is very much in the rough stage.

9. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Have you done the "Jerome" thing yet? If so then you know what I'm talking about but if not and you have time, by all means take the short drive up there. But not in the RV of course. Have a great trip, the Sedona area is beautiful but normally pretty crowded. Have you ever stayed at Distant Drums RV Resort in Camp Verde......?

Terry

10. Russ60

Russ60
    Expand Collapse

We haven't done Jerome so more info is appreciated. I have not stayed at Distance Drums --- but i guess I will now!

11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Jerome is an old copper mining town situated on the side of a mountain at a little over 5,000 feet elevation and about a 6 mile drive west of Cottonwood. Good road but not one that I'd be taking a larger RV on as it is a long grade and with some tight turns, etc. Lots of shops and great places to eat. A tourist place of course but the view from up there is spectacular. Google the town and you will find lots of information on its history, etc. If you want to give Distant Drums a try make your reservations as soon as you can as they are usually booked ahead and full up during the late spring and early summer months. The location is great for exploring Sedona, Cottonwood, Jerome, Montezuma's Castle and several other points of interest and all are very easy day trips....

Hope this helps a tad...................

Regards, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

12. Russ60

Russ60
    Expand Collapse

You helped allot bankshot and thanks...looking foward to seeing you on the road1

13. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

You guys are really making me envious now. We love AZ, usually going to the Phoenix or Sedona area in June, July or August, albeit not in the RV. Jerome is a great little town to visit that even my DW enjoyed. The 89 from Sedona to Flagstaff is a nice drive but not one I'd do with a big RV. A place worth checking in Sedona and not on the main tourist list is the Amitabha Stupa and Peace Park. No fee but a donation is welcome.

14. Russ60

Russ60
    Expand Collapse

I spent a couple of days in Sedona but missed the Amitabha Stupa and Peace Park. i will check it out! Prepping the new rig to head out this weekend for a short trip to western Virginia.

15. momdoc

momdoc
    Expand Collapse

Sedona will be one of or first stops mid June in the beginning of our next 3-4 month trip. The rig is now under cover Chandler.

momdoc