One of the worst camp grounds ever

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by momdoc, Jul 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. momdoc

momdoc
    Expand Collapse

Alpine rose campground in Durango Colorado is one of he worst campground/RV resort we have ever stayed in (or tried to stay)

First the pros:

The grounds looked well kept and clean. That is it for the pros.

Now the Cons:
    1. We made reservations in April for a shady, level site. When we arrived our site was shady (but not where you had to park the RV) and not anything close to level. Though other sites appeared to be more level. The management comment was…”the campground is on the side of a mountain”
    2. Site was basically unusable. No where level and in fact I could still not get level after using 3 blocks under the back wheels. That was just front to back. The pitch of the site we did not even get to.
    3. Utilities (water, electric) are shared between sites and the sewer was so far away I would need a 20 run. Plus it was all up hill. Sorry but empting you tanks uphill does not work
    4. With the units coming into sites in opposite directions (because of the Utilities) you shared a common space between rigs and a “community dining area.
    5. The staff was pretty useless as well and told us “the site is fine.
    6. They also advertise wi-fi…don’t believe it.
    7. So we made arrangements at another resort and left as it was unusable.
    We were told we were going to be charged one night stay and a cancellation fee. What ????? For a site we could not use???? Nor could anyone else. It was not what we were lead to believe we had reserved.

I would not stay here again.

momdoc

mdcamping and BankShot like this.
  2. Wildfire

Wildfire
    Expand Collapse

I know them well . Stayed there in 88' sites were as you say not close to level, Sewer was backing up on the ground , complained and was told too bad . We moved to KOA North and it was great. I live outside of Durango and Alpine (not a rose) was one of the leaders in trying to prohibit WalMart from letting people overnight in the parking lot. I guess in all these years they have not improved at all. Sorry you had a bad experience and hope that the rest of your visit was better.

3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hey momdoc - After reading your post I could relate 100%. Just this past May we had made reservations at a park that their website and most all of the reviews made it look like a little piece of heaven. My review stood out like a thorn in bed of roses. The other reviews raved on and an about how wonderful this place was. It was for the most part, a dump full of dirt and like your space, the sewer flowed uphill also. Like you I'm still trying to figure out how that works.......o_O Anyway, glad I'm not the only one that likes a campground or park to be what it is advertised to be. You named your park so I guess I can name mine. It's called Point of Rocks and it's in Prescott, AZ, a very nice area with lots to do but unfortunately not too many good parks in our way of looking at them. I jokingly renamed this park and called it "Piles of Dirt" and rightly so. Dirt and dust everywhere including the roads and spaces. We drove in with a nice clean, freshly washed coach and left a hour or so later leaving a dust rooster tail behind us as we drove down the road. Like you, we will never go back to that place. The rest of those that rate it so highly are more than welcome to have it all to themselves. BTW, I did read a few reviews on Alpine Rose but couldn't find yours. You did do one did you not? Like the reviews for Piles of Dirt, most of them gave it 7's thru 10's. So I know where you're coming from and don't feel like the Lone Ranger anymore.................. ;) Whatever trips one's trigger I guess......o_O

Travel safe, be well, and always stay on the upside of sewer connections.............. :D

Regards, BankShot..............(aka Terry)

Wildfire likes this.
  4. momdoc

momdoc
    Expand Collapse

Yes I did submit a review and I believe it has published
    momdoc

5. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

yikes! sorry to hear about you bad experience. probably best that you left, I remember having a similar type site once where we had to share our outside dining area with our camping neighbors. I HATED it!

I also read a few of the reviews on Alpine Rose, didn't see it yet. Though if you recently submitted it, I know it's busy this time of year so It may be backlogged in the RVPR data base.

Mike

6. momdoc

momdoc
    Expand Collapse

Well this interesting. I submitted the review two days ago and it has not published. I did another review this morning and it is posted.
    Maybe administration here does not want negative reviews. I certainly hope this is not the case. I will give it another day and then will contact them.
    Any suggestions?????

momdoc

7. Wildfire

Wildfire
    Expand Collapse

It usually takes several days before my reviews are posted so don't give up hope. I believe the last three were a week .:rolleyes:

8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

From what I have read before on the forums concerning this ( and please don't hold me to this because I may not be completely accurate ) first time reviewers or reviews that may contain certain language will go into a query via the automated software to be screened by the volunteer admins before they go online, this may take a few days especially during peak camping season. This is normal and has happened to my reviews also.

If your not a new reviewer and if the automated software picks up no language issues, then it goes directly online.

Mike

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  9. momdoc

momdoc
    Expand Collapse

All my others are posted that day. I have 13 or 15 reviews so far, so this is not the issue. As to language I am sure that I not an issue.
    So we will just hang and see what happens.
    momdoc

10. Russ60

Russ60
    Expand Collapse

There are a large number of reviews in backlog that admins are working through. It is the peak season so give it a bit of time. Negative as well as positive reviews are welcome as long as they meet the posting guidelines.

11. momdoc

momdoc
    Expand Collapse

Yep got posted this morning.
    momdoc

NYDutch and mdcamping like this.
  12. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

This thread is now closed to additional posts. We appreciate the discussion it prompted but, as a rule, the forum is NOT to be used as a alternative venue for reviewing parks. momdoc wrote a strongly worded review of this park and we posted it. There is no reason for the same issues to be discussed in a parallel forum thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.