Changes To Review Submittals

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Webmaster, Jul 4, 2006.

1. travelingfools

travelingfools
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Webmaster @ Jul 4 2006, 10:18 AM) [snapback]4533[/snapback]

We have found it necessary to add some more security to the website when it comes to approving reviews. All members will now have to submit a minimum of three (3) different campgrounds before any of their reviews will be posted on the website. If you have not seen a recent review you submitted posted on the website that is because it is in a holding queue until the five review quota has been met and then they will automatically transfer to the approval queue and will then be posted. Any member that has already posted five or more will see no change. Sorry we have to do this but some campground owner's/employees think they don't have to follow the rules of this website and continue to try to post great reviews about their campground. The "great" campgrounds will never have to do that as they will always receive positive reviews from their customers. :) We have caught several and will continue to do so to try to keep this website as it was intended.

2. tiredofit

tiredofit
    Expand Collapse

Seems to me that a bad review is, obviously, not from an owner of a campground. Although some people just can't be happy with anything, I think a bad review should get on the site quickly. I am so tired of being lied to by the employees about the campground. We arrive and it's just not an appropriate site. Or access is too hard. Or, we are the only rig because everyone else already knows not to go there, somehow. I have tried to use correct punctuation, spelling, and spacing.

3. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

tiredofit,

Please send me a PM over what you are talked about. I do not understand what happen here. :)

4. zash

zash
    Expand Collapse

I am sorry to see that I have to submitt 5 reviews before my review I just submitted will be seen by others.
    I just discovered this sight and made a point to go here as soon as I got home to warn fellow campers of such a poor campground in Pelahatchie Mississippi we experienced. I will be back to this site though to submitt more as I camp. I also will NOT be back to the campground we stayed in Pelahatchie Mississippi.

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Zash,

Welcome to the site. It appears your reviews have already been posted. And for the 100,000th time you do not have to submit 5 reviews. The rules state that it is only 3 reviews. Anyone who is serious about making a worthwhile contribution to this site will not find this to be a hardship.

6. Bryce61

Bryce61
    Expand Collapse

I know this won't be posted nor will any of mine as I May use just three Campgrounds a year. My wife and I use our camper as much as we can but we have a busy life style with many hobbies and interest and camping is just one of many.

Anyway to the point. I use only this site when looking for campgrounds and have by far found it to be the best. This is why I joined as I did not feel that I should sit on the sidelines and wanted to be part of this group. Infact I joined less than an hour age. I realize the need for some censorship but the new rules imposed will not be very subjective to the families that only camp 2 or 3 times a years. What you will see are those that are retired that will be able to meet your post requiements. I hope you rethink your new rules. I also feel that the majority of the people will be able to weed out the posts that are, well I ahte to say it bull.

One peice of inforamation about my family is that my wifes uncle owns a campground that we frequent only once a year for a long weekend. You may never know this for fact but we will never post for our families campground. Our reasons are we would be to biased and we stay fo free which is not fair to those that do pay.

Bryce

7. Bryce61

Bryce61
    Expand Collapse

I must make a rebuttle on my own post. I did not realize that the NEW RULE was actually submitted in 2006. So my earlier post should be posted and I stand corrected. I just joined and I want to say this is an awesome site.

8. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Send the information to "Contact US" down at bottom of page and someone will help you make the changes.

9. nhted

nhted
    Expand Collapse

There really should be another way of weeding out the "self written" reviews without penalizing those of us that are either new to camping or new to this site (I only discovered it through a friend that has RV'd all over the country for years.

We have been camping for 4 years (this will be our 5th) and although I'm sure I could write a review on every campground we have stayed at (we keep our own records of each stay) I still would be unable to submit them because of the time limits set here.

I would certainly hope that the moderator(s), or whoever verifies the reviewers, is also looking at the other side of the coin and weeding out really negative reviews that could possibly be written by a campgrounds competitor (or has anyone even thought of this one)?

10. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

nhted

First off welcome to the website and we hope you enjoy it. All reviews are checked before they go on line. Site has a number of filters and traps that admins look at before any reviews will pass. Lots of reviews are send back or junked and you will never see them. If a review did pass all the test and was added on line and then admin finds the information was from park owner it is removed. Admins receive wrong information on reviews each day. Most problems are poor grammar, spelling, wrong numbers, wrong URL and so one. It is a tough job at times.

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

nhted,

As John said we have ways of identifying less than honest reviews. I'm sorry, but I do not understand how that penalizes you.

12. countryacresowner

countryacresowner
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(dgc_61 @ Jul 21 2006, 03:31 PM) [snapback]4609[/snapback]

Great thoughts!

I've been on this forum for a long time and I just feel totally offended by this new rule...I think it's totally inappropriate and serves no real purpose.
    I am another vote for there otta be a better way. I reviewed at least one other park that got listed right away. Now my latest review is held up pending who knows how long. I even sent in a correction to another park listed in error but I suppose that can't be released either. Why don't you ask for references from new people before you allow them to review? Rv.Net or Escapees would be good sources.

IT IS FUNNY YOU MENTION THAT IF A DISHONEST CAMPGROUND OWNER CAN POST A BAD REVIEW ABOUT THEIR COMPETITION AND GIVE THEMSELVES RAVING REVIEWS. WELL I THINK THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME. THE REVIEWS SHOW A MUCH HIGHER PRICE THAN I CHARGE SO THAT FOR ONE IS FALSE. THEY TALK ABOUT MY ELECTRIC BEING INADEQUATE AND NOBODY APPROACHED ME ABOUT ANYTHING LIKE THAT. BUT YET THEY WENT TO THE OTHER PARK AND IT WAS PERFECT. THEY SAID MY WIFI WASNT WORKING, MY TV WASNT WORKING. WOW, IF IT WAS THAT BAD I THINK THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN OTHER REVIEWS BESIDES THOSE "THREE" THAT GOT TOGETHER AND POSTED THAT. THERE SEEMS TO BE NO WAY FOR A CAMPGROUND OWNER TO DEFEND HIMSELF. RV PARK REVIEWS NEED TO BE SUED FOR EVERYTHING THEY GOT IF THIS HAPPENS AGAIN. THE PERSON NEEDS TO POST THEIR NAME AND ADDRESS GOING THROUGH THIS SITE AND BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE.

13. Denali

Denali
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(countryacresowner @ May 18 2011, 06:45 AM) [snapback]26123[/snapback]

IT IS FUNNY YOU MENTION THAT IF A DISHONEST CAMPGROUND OWNER CAN POST A BAD REVIEW ABOUT THEIR COMPETITION AND GIVE THEMSELVES RAVING REVIEWS. WELL I THINK THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME. THE REVIEWS SHOW A MUCH HIGHER PRICE THAN I CHARGE SO THAT FOR ONE IS FALSE. THEY TALK ABOUT MY ELECTRIC BEING INADEQUATE AND NOBODY APPROACHED ME ABOUT ANYTHING LIKE THAT. BUT YET THEY WENT TO THE OTHER PARK AND IT WAS PERFECT. THEY SAID MY WIFI WASNT WORKING, MY TV WASNT WORKING. WOW, IF IT WAS THAT BAD I THINK THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN OTHER REVIEWS BESIDES THOSE "THREE" THAT GOT TOGETHER AND POSTED THAT. THERE SEEMS TO BE NO WAY FOR A CAMPGROUND OWNER TO DEFEND HIMSELF. RV PARK REVIEWS NEED TO BE SUED FOR EVERYTHING THEY GOT IF THIS HAPPENS AGAIN. THE PERSON NEEDS TO POST THEIR NAME AND ADDRESS GOING THROUGH THIS SITE AND BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE.

From the user name and description of the bad reviews, I assume this is from the owner of Country Acres RV Park & Motel in Lamar, CO.

The negative reviews said that they paid $36-38. The park's entry on Passport America says that the normal rate is $34 (plus tax, I assume). Doesn't sound like a "much higher price" to me.

The three reviews were posted by three different reviewers, each of whom had previously posted seven to 31 reviews. That doesn't sound like a rival park owner.

Reading those reviews and comparing them with the generally average reviews the park has received in the past, I would guess that the park had some problems with power in November and December last year. Anybody who travels much knows that the quality of cable TV can vary from site to site in a park.

Who knows whether the customers or the park staff were at fault for the less than pleasant interactions the reviewers reported?

14. WE3ZS

WE3ZS
    Expand Collapse

I did not realize when I signed on here that you needed to submit 5 reviews before one gets posted. We just had a horrible experience at a campground in DE and wanted to warn other campers. There are other negative posts about this campground on the internet....head those warnings.. (Not sure if I can name the campground here).

15. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Hmmm.
    It's only 2 or 3 reviews now.
    Make sure you incorporate some detail about the campground itself.
    You know: pad condition, hook-ups, cleanliness, road condition.
    Hope you have many more GOOD camping experiences in your future!
    Cheers!
    B)

16. JDRobar

JDRobar
    Expand Collapse

I didn't read all 19 pages of your responses, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed :huh:; however, I have a suggestion for keeping RV park owners from posting disingenuous comments on the site.

If, while reading about a particular park, the reader is offered the capability to see all reviews an author has ever created along with date created, in the reverse order created, it will make deceitful entries a harder task.

If a single entry to a Park is suspicious, by looking at the poster's history, RVers can formulate their own opinions about the reviewer/entry. Did all their entries happen on the same date (as an unaware, conniving person might do)?

17. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

JDRobar,

Your suggestion sounds like a good one, but if I am understanding your comments correctly we already have this ability. Look at any review and you will see a message at the end that says, "The user that posted this review has XX other reviews online. Click here to see them." The reviews contain the date and are in reverse order so that members can see a particular person's past reviews. This is what you are suggesting, isn't it?

Now however, there is one comment where you are a bit off base. You say, "And hey, maybe some Park owners submit heartfelt reviews on a legit basis - that's cool - I'm sure some of them take a busman's holiday too. Afterall, we're just looking at opinions here, right ?" Legitimate and heartfelt or not, our rules state that park owners or employees may not submit reviews for their own or any other park. We feel this removes any temptation to embellish or degrade parks unfairly.

Thanks for your interest in making this a better website. Your input is appreciated.

18. JDRobar

JDRobar
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Texasrvers @ Jun 19 2011, 04:09 PM) [snapback]26536[/snapback]

This is what you are suggesting, isn't it?

To quote Duck Dodgers of the 24th and a half Century, "This wouldn't be so embarrassing if it weren't so true."

Whoops! Ah say....Ah say son...... To be truthful, I hadn't needed to look at the Reviews just yet, as I'm as stuck as a bug on fly-paper til the little lady retires at the end of this month :( . I made a REALLY bad assumption based purely on what other comments (or lack thereof) I had read in the first three pages. My apologies for the lack of proper research, I'm heartened you realized it was in the interest of helping.

On the "off base" comment, just my opinion (we all know what they are like, and that everyone has one ;) ). Having said that, I'm also aware of the adage that if you join a society, be willing to accept its rules. So, no beef here, sir. :D

I'd like to say, you are very tolerant in your attempts to hear people out. Obvious while you provide a free service you are indeed aware, nay, striving to give EXCELLENT service. From my perspective, that breaks a lot of molds!

Please, keep up the good work.

19. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(JDRobar @ Jun 19 2011, 06:13 PM) [snapback]26538[/snapback]

To quote Duck Dodgers of the 24th and a half Century, "This wouldn't be so embarrassing if it weren't so true."

Whoops! Ah say....Ah say son...... To be truthful, I hadn't needed to look at the Reviews just yet, as I'm as stuck as a bug on fly-paper til the little lady retires at the end of this month :( . I made a REALLY bad assumption based purely on what other comments (or lack thereof) I had read in the first three pages. My apologies for the lack of proper research, I'm heartened you realized it was in the interest of helping.

Not a problem. Just hurry up and get to the end of the month so that you can use those reviews and get out on the road!!

20. dbwtexas

dbwtexas
    Expand Collapse

OK, I have reviewed 7 campgrounds today! I am a new member & am playing catch-up. We left Texas on June 15th & are now in Maine. Needless to say we have stayed at several campgrounds since leaving home. I am curious as to why my reviews have not posted?(eibbedtx@yahoo.com)