Changes To Review Submittals

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Webmaster, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

The main reason is that there are currently 198 reviews waiting to be approved, and 95 of them are in line before yours. During the summer it is not unusual for us to get over 200 reviews each day. Each one is read and corrected if needed by one of our volunteer admins. We get to these reviews as fast as we can, but sometimes it takes several days. Please be patient, and your reviews will appear soon.

2. joe4golf

joe4golf
    Expand Collapse

Great job of keeping this site relevant. :)

3. Mingo

Mingo
    Expand Collapse

Your respect for security is appreciated. I just signed up to post reviews and value this site to help research campgrounds. It is a shame that cg's feel they must toot their own horns. May I suggest that instead of penalizing the honest writers, that those campgrounds who post their own reviews be exposed. What better penalty than to post the names of the campgrounds that are not handling themselves ethically? I would not bother to do business with them.

4. Avanti3106

Avanti3106
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Webmaster @ Jul 4 2006, 09:18 AM) [snapback]4533[/snapback]

We have found it necessary to add some more security to the website when it comes to approving reviews. All members will now have to submit a minimum of three (3) different campgrounds before any of their reviews will be posted on the website. If you have not seen a recent review you submitted posted on the website that is because it is in a holding queue until the five review quota has been met and then they will automatically transfer to the approval queue and will then be posted. Any member that has already posted five or more will see no change. Sorry we have to do this but some campground owner's/employees think they don't have to follow the rules of this website and continue to try to post great reviews about their campground. The "great" campgrounds will never have to do that as they will always receive positive reviews from their customers. :) We have caught several and will continue to do so to try to keep this website as it was intended.

5. RVCorgi

RVCorgi
    Expand Collapse

This explains why my earlier review just showed up when I added a few from a recent trip. Too bad you have to do this, but thanks for keeping it honest.

6. havinfun66

havinfun66
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Webmaster @ Jul 4 2006, 10:18 AM) [snapback]4533[/snapback]

We have found it necessary to add some more security to the website when it comes to approving reviews. All members will now have to submit a minimum of three (3) different campgrounds before any of their reviews will be posted on the website. If you have not seen a recent review you submitted posted on the website that is because it is in a holding queue until the three review quota has been met and then they will automatically transfer to the approval queue and will then be posted. Any member that has already posted three or more will see no change. Sorry we have to do this but some campground owner's/employees think they don't have to follow the rules of this website and continue to try to post great reviews about their campground. The "great" campgrounds will never have to do that as they will always receive positive reviews from their customers. :) We have caught several and will continue to do so to try to keep this website as it was intended.

I posted a review and was wondering why it had not been submitted on the website. I had no idea I had to post many before even one showed up. It would be helpful if this was stated somewhere on the home page. The only way I found out was by digging a little deeper and going onto the forum. I use this website all the time to check out campgrounds and was wondering why some that I've stayed at were not on the website. I believe there are many others who have posted and not known why their reviews have not shown up.

7. ron 23

ron 23
    Expand Collapse

W.O.W. that's a shame (the reason) I was wondering why I didn't see a few I recently submitted. Thought maybe you were ill and didn't get to it glad that's not the case. Love the site guys thank you for maintaining it.

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We currently have over 500 reviews waiting to be checked and posted. I think everyone in the country has gone camping in the last few weeks and written a review. Sorry it is taking so long to get through all of them, but we're paddling as fast as we can.

9. loralee

loralee
    Expand Collapse

I also don't like the new rule. I joined this site to be able to check out the camp grounds we are interested in visiting, as we are new to RVing, but to also share about the park we just stayed in. Very few posts about this one, and I think people would like to know it's not a great place to stay. We also fit into the same as many others, we don't visit many sites per year. Looks like what we have to say won't be heard by anyone for quite possibly a long time. Unfortunate for those who might be looking and not know about what we've found out the hard way. Hoping there will be a better way to let those of us who are new to all this to be heard. :(

10. n1vwd

n1vwd
    Expand Collapse

Loralee

I agree with you 100%. I am in the same boat. I went to an RV park that is not listed and had a good time. Came home and did a review for others only to find out that I need five before any are released. We only could afford four outings this year and two of these were to the same park with friends. At this rate it will take years before any of my reviews will show up.

11. HappiestCamper

HappiestCamper
    Expand Collapse

For the last time - it's 3, not 5. Please look at all posts where the admins changed that. If you see 5, that's in someone's quote of the original first message years ago.

12. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

Happy, I don't think anyone reads anything any more. It has been 3 for quite a long time and is not a new rule. No one seems to pay attention to that or even read the rules. If they allowed people to just post one review there would be even more owners posting more reviews to their own campgrounds. Maybe this thread should be totally deleted and started over with no mention of the word/number 5 in it and maybe people would finally pay attention.

People also don't seem to appreciate how much time it takes to check out each review before it does get posted. The admins do have a right to a life outside of approving reviews. If they didn't do the wonderful job they do then this site would not be worth looking at. They do their best to keep it accurate and honest.

13. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(dalsgal @ Sep 9 2011, 03:00 PM) [snapback]27539[/snapback]

The admins do have a right to a life outside of approving reviews.

We do???!!!! Aw, man, I didn't know that, and I've had this %&*$# computer chained to my leg all this time. Thanks for letting me know. :lol:

Also, thanks (seriously) for the kind words about our efforts. We appreciate them.

Finally, I am pleased to report that several of the admins got together one day recently and worked all of the 500+ reviews in the queue. So at one point for about 10 seconds we were all caught up. So thanks for your patience and support.

14. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

I would like to add this. On the 500 plus reviews, we spend so much time working the pile down in order to get all reviews on line as fast as possible I had saddle burns for days. Reviews are coming in 200 to 250 a day and everyone ask what happen to my one review.

Now we have the ones that are so poor we cannot read them, ones with new words we have never found anyplace, ones on the wrong park, ones that spell check was never done, and you see this all takes lots of time to correct. Life is not easy working here. If people would check the review and fix all the mistakes before you send them in we could work faster. :)

15. Aftica

Aftica
    Expand Collapse

Well, I am so bloody impressed with the attention that the Admins show to this that I have sung praises far and wide including to the great folks on iRV2.

My reviews are posted sometimes withing an hour and I have had some great exchanges with the Admins on the Board.

Unless you have run and maintained a Discussion Board like this, Folks then you have absolutely no idea of the work involved.

Bravo all and thank you!

QUOTE(John Blue @ Sep 9 2011, 09:39 PM) [snapback]27545[/snapback]

I would like to add this. On the 500 plus reviews, we spend so much time working the pile down in order to get all reviews on line as fast as possible I had saddle burns for days. Reviews are coming in 200 to 250 a day and everyone ask what happen to my one review.

Now we have the ones that are so poor we cannot read them, ones with new words we have never found anyplace, ones on the wrong park, ones that spell check was never done, and you see this all takes lots of time to correct. Life is not easy working here. If people would check the review and fix all the mistakes before you send them in we could work faster. :)

16. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

Here's a thought - get more Administrators/Mods. When I first started using this forum, the number of reviews was somewhere south of 50,000. It is well more thandouble that now as is the frequency of people wondering where their reviews are. This tells me that IF a primary goal is to remain up to date and near real time, you don't have enough folks doing the job - and I agree that it is a job.

I've always complimented the work done here and have been helped several times by the reviewers with either mistakes I've made or in answering questions from me. I know that during peak times for camping, my reviews may be delayed in print until such time as they reach the top of the queue and it doesn't bother me. I suspect that the majority of the complaints may come from those who are new or relatively new to the forum and they, like me, will quickly learn what it means to be patient.

In the meantime, thanks for doing a good job for all of us. You don't need to be defensive although I suppose even those with thick skin can get a little upset with complaints from those who don't necessarily know better.

If there is a better site one can use for reading reviews, I wish someone would point it out to me.

17. Kawartha

Kawartha
    Expand Collapse

If you are a seasonal camper, then you certainly would not be in a position to review any but your own campground.

18. abbygolden

abbygolden
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Kawartha @ Oct 5 2011, 10:21 PM) [snapback]27823[/snapback]

If you are a seasonal camper, then you certainly would not be in a position to review any but your own campground.

Huh??? Seasonal or not - and most of us are seasonal - why would we want to review a CG other than one's we've stayed in? I know there are those who have an axe to grind because of a perceived bad review and want to counterbalance it, but those are pretty obvious and any seasoned reader can figure it out pretty quickly.

19. chowhound

chowhound
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Kawartha @ Oct 5 2011, 10:21 PM) [snapback]27823[/snapback]

What are you trying to say?

It would seem if you stay there you review it. I am not sure how long you stay (seasonal or not) at a CG has much to do with it, other than if you don't like it you tend to cut your stay shorter, and can move to somewhere else.

20. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Kawartha @ Oct 5 2011, 09:21 PM) [snapback]27823[/snapback]

I think they meant that if you are a seasonal camper, you would only stay at one or two parks for the whole year, and possibly those one or two parks are the only ones they stay at (ever), so they might never get over the 3 park minimum and their reviews would never show up.

Just my interpritation.