Hurricane Harvey

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mdcamping, Aug 25, 2017.

1. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

To all the folks in Texas or who could be in harms way please stay safe in this difficult time.

Mike

cbpierce69 likes this.
  2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks. We are inland and should be OK, but we can always use the good wishes.

3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Us folks out here in No. California have no clue as to what it must be like to go thru a storm such as this one is. I've been in a few mild hurricanes (if you can call any hurricane mild) in my day and a couple of nasty typhoons out in the south Pacific but nothing like the people on the gulf coast of Texas are facing right now and for the next few days. Stay safe Texasrvers, glad to hear you are inland and not having to face this one head on..................

All the best, BankShot...................(aka Terry)

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Just want to add to my above post. To any and all RVers that are being affected by this terrible storm that is wreaking havoc and destruction on the Texas gulf coast and now inland also, I hope everyone is safe and on high ground and that losses are minimal, if that's even possible in a storm of this magnitude. To think that earlier this year I was amazed at the rains we were getting in No. California and how I thought that 6" in a 24 hour period was just unbelievable. WelI I just watched the news and found out that several areas in and around Houston have received 27" in that same period of time!!! My heart goes out to everyone being affected and I just hope the no more lives are lost. It's events such as this that makes us all feel very, very small and also how very, very big Mother Nature is.............

With safe thoughts to all, BankShot................(aka Terry)

5. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Our rain gauge overflowed last night at 6" but I think we have gotten somewhere above 9". Fortunately our rain is coming in waves so there is time for it to run off pretty well before another shower hits. The Houston area is getting continuous rain and that makes a big difference. They had video on TV this morning of people being rescued from an RV park south of Houston. The water was up to the door on a 5th wheel. There are probably other parks in this same situation, so I hope everyone gets out OK.

6. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Hard to fathom all the devastation, hope this does not turn into another Katrina.

Stay safe everyone!

7. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

They had video on TV this morning of people being rescued from an RV park south of Houston. The water was up to the door on a 5th wheel.

I wondered about this... :(

8. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

If anyone wants to help, this seemed like good info from FMCA website:
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Volunteer with RV Disaster Corps
    RV Disaster Corps has put out a call for RVers to staff volunteer centers. Volunteers with RV Disaster Corps assist people displaced by storms and help first responders. Because RV Disaster Corps volunteers have their own accommodations, they can relocate to the impacted area without requiring scarce local housings resources.

2. Help Evacuees Find a Safe Place
    The Texas Association of Campground Owners has identified RV parks with space available for Hurricane Harvey evacuees: https://texascampgrounds.com. It is recommended to call the parks in advance; availability may change based on current weather.

3. Make a Donation
    The following organizations* are accepting donations for South Texas relief efforts.

American Red Cross: www.redcross.org or call 1- 800-RED CROSS or text the word HARVEY to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
    The Salvation Army:give.salvationarmyusa.org or call 1-800-725-2769.
    Catholic Charities USA:www.catholiccharitiesusa.org
    RV Disaster Corps:www.rvdisastercorps.org

*Please note FMCA is not affiliated with and/or advocating these organizations.
    ----------------------
    Chris G.
    F3508s

FosterImposters likes this.