SunPass

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by garmp, May 25, 2017.

1. garmp

garmp
    Expand Collapse

Well we bought a Sun Pass at the local Publix and filled it with $10 on line. Also signed up for the auto renewal of $10.00. Good thing! DW decided to see Sanibel Island, no problem. When nearing the tool booth I saw the sign $6.00 per vehicle!!!!!! That just chewed that SunPass into pieces. Auto renew kicked in and we've been good. Been on and off the island more times than I can count.
    SunPass is worth the money to me!

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Just curious, does it cost $6 each way on and off the island or is that a round trip fare? And do residents of the island also have to pay that price whenever they travel to the mainland also? Seems a tad steep to me, especially if you lived on the island and commuted each day to work......... :eek:

Glad to hear that pass is working out for you. Bet that auto renewal is clicking off the bucks at a fast clip according to what you tell us............. Enjoy....... :D

BankShot...........(aka Terry)

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

We have friends that live on Sanibel Island. They buy a $400 annual pass that allows unlimited trips to/from Sanibel. That's about 67 trips to break even...

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

It's a sure bet that tax dollars don't pay for the causeway's upkeep and maintenance much the same as ours out here in CA don't. We get taxed to death in our state just in different ways. They keep raising the gas tax and telling us it's going to repair and maintain our roads and bridges, etc. Sad thing is it all ends up in the same pockets and little if any road improvements are ever made, or at least it sure seems that way............ :mad:

Hanging in there, BankShot..........(aka Terry)

5. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

The Sanibel Causeway and Leeway toll system are Lee County operations, so hopefully it's at least self-supporting.

6. garmp

garmp
    Expand Collapse

Bankshot, Like all/most other tolls they only charge you to get on the island getting off is free. Haven't made it home yet, but when we do we will check into our SunPass account and see just what we spent. I'll tell you they'll 50/75 cents you to death. I also believe that we can get a refund on all unspent monies when we check our grand total. But at this point I wouldn't have done it any other way.

7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I know it's like that on our bridges such as the Golden Gate, you only pay one way and the return is free. I would think tho in many cases it would be free to get on the island but pay to get off. Nothing like having the tourists come over and spend their money and then charge them to leave. I wonder why someone hasn't come up with that "brilliant" idea as yet......... :rolleyes:

BankShot.............(aka Terry)

8. garmp

garmp
    Expand Collapse

DW just applied for a refund from SunPass. We had the auto renewal set to $10.00. When the amount drops below a certain amount they automatically add your chosen amount to your account. My case it was $10 increments, which was the lowest allowed. Had to opt out of auto renewal and then request monies returned. Could not ask for entire amount back for some silly reason. We had $10.57 in our account so she asked for $10.56. A few minutes later it was reimbursed to our credit card. They made a penny on us, but we saved about 46% per toll booth.
    I recommend it.

9. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Garmp, your SunPass account is still active. That's why a cent was retained. If you ever decide to return to Florida you can use the same pass. Just start the auto renewal again and you will be good to go.:cool:

10. Pepperell

Pepperell
    Expand Collapse

Speaking of tolls...
    What ever happened to transponder interoperability? That was supposed to be accomplished by 2016. Unless my cell fone is messed up, it's now 2018! Of course, there were no penalties mandated if the various tolling agencies didn't get it done. So here we sit with an EZpass, TXtic, Sunpass, OKey pass, CALpass, etc. stacked on the windshield. Dumb.

11. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Perrerell,
    Florida Express Authority is presently in the process of addressing that issue. The Sunpass can now be used in Georgia. Yes, I agree it is a slow process.

12. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Paythebill likes this.
  13. burnted

burnted
    Expand Collapse