Texas to Ouray, CO area

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by fulltimewannabe, Jan 31, 2018.

1. fulltimewannabe

fulltimewannabe
    Expand Collapse

Headed up to Ridgway SP end of July. Plan to take hwy 69 out of Walsenburg to catch hwy 50 over Monarch to the west. Then south at Montrose down to Ridgway.

My question is this...about 11 miles south of Texas Creek, there is a road labeled 1A on Google Maps that appears to be a "short cut" to pick up hwy 50 at Cotopaxi. Has anyone taken this short cut that can comment if it will be ok pulling my 40ft 5er thru there?

Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Mark

2. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

Mark,
    I have not taken this short cut, but by looking on the satellite map it does not appear to have any sharp curves. However, in spots the road looks rough where perhaps it’s been patched. You might want to reach out to the Cotopaxi Store on Hwy 50 and County Rd 1A and see if they can tell you the road condition. You may even ask the folks at the KOA in Cotopaxi.

Let us know if you take that route and how it works out.

3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Google Street Level view shows it to be a pretty nice road. It runs in a valley going into Cotopaxi. I agree with the advice to call, but it sure looks as if it is intended as a shortcut for westbound traffic headed to US50.

4. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

1A is fine, it is the same as the rest of US 50, some curves, but your 5er should do just fine. I have driven it several times in my motorhome.

Chris G.
    Westminster, CO

5. fulltimewannabe

fulltimewannabe
    Expand Collapse

Great to hear!!

Thanks for the info!!

I'll report after my experience.

Thanks,
    Mark

6. blueaaron

blueaaron