Route 321 from from I81 in Virginia to Gatlinburg

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by hopefulone, May 6, 2018.

1. hopefulone

hopefulone
    Expand Collapse

Anyone done this route? Trying to get to Imagination campground and wanting to know how curvy/windy/hilly this route would be (well 321 is the one we are not familiar with.

I81 we are very familiar with:)

2. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I am not quite sure what you are asking. Route 321 is a secondary road on the east coast of VA. Virginia to Gatlinburg from the east coast is generally Interstate most of the way.

3. hopefulone

hopefulone
    Expand Collapse

Sorry. My information was left out in the subject line of the thread. We have an alternate route to gatlinburg from Roanoke. The route says I81 to I 40 to highway 73/321 to gatlinburg. I believe that 321 may be the foothills parkway? Wondering how curvy 73/321 in Tennessee is?

4. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I camped at Smokey Bear Campground on US321 about 15 miles east of Gatlinburg 8 years ago and the road was narrow with no shoulders and windy. Imagination is just down the road, so expect much the same once you get off I-40/I-81.

5. hopefulone

hopefulone
    Expand Collapse

Uggh.... that’s what I was afraid of. I appreciate your reply.

6. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

I have lived in the Roanoke area of VA and in Georgia and been to the area you are going many times. From Roanoke via I-81 & 40. Then Hwy 66 south toward Sevierville where you will pick up 441 and then 321 into Gatlinburg is the route that I would take.

Or you could do I-81 to I-40 to 411 over to Sevierville and on into Gatlinburg. 411 is a nice road. To include using it all the way into GA.

321 does run between Gatlinburg and I-40 in the western part of NC. I have not been on that road so I can't help you, there. Gatlinburg sits on the north edge of the Smokey Mountains so I suspect that 321 has some rising terrain the closer you get to the town. That might be what Onemoretrail is referring to.

Couple other notes. If you do take the route that I would, know that you will be going thru Sevierville and Pidgeon Forge where there is tourist traffic. If you pick a campground east or south of Gatlinburg you will be going thru the town's narrow streets. Doable, just watch out for parked cars and pedestrians.

If you have a chance, I would recommend the short drive over to Maggie Valley area. Waynesville has a nice downtown area.

John E. Baker III likes this.
  7. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

US 321 is a decent two lane road south of I-40. Driven it a few times as a back way into Gatlinburg. It runs through the valley so it is not too winding. You should have no trouble with the route.

The Foothills Parkway is a separate route that joins I-40 a few miles east of where you would pick up 321 from I-40. Very nice drive, similar to the Blue Ridge Parkway, but curvy and has a couple of steeper inclines.