Strategy for getting into Gulpha Gorge Campground during the week of July 4th

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by whit461, May 29, 2018.

1. whit461

whit461
    Expand Collapse

My wife and I are thinking about traveling from San Antonio to Hot Springs, AR over the July 4th week. We have most of the week off and can change a day or so. We are thinking about driving up the 4th, boondock that night before and look to get in on the 5th. Do we just stand in line, do we wander through the campsite asking (politely) if anyone is leaving? Are we fooling ourselves about getting in on Thursday morning? It's a long drive, but love the reviews and the look of the area.

2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

July 4th holiday week, might be tough to find a site. Could call one of the private campgrounds in the area that get good reviews. :)

Mike

3. jimLE

jimLE
    Expand Collapse

I agree with what mdcamping is saying.do a search for campgrounds in the area(s) that you want to stay.then start calling them.i believe it'd be best to make reservations.well in adavnce for that time of year.

4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

With the 4th falling on a Wednesday, it's likely some people will stay the entire week while others will stay the first half or the second half. Finding Thursday spots will be hit and miss IMO. We always try to make sure that we have reservations for places to stay for Memorial Day, the 4th, and Labor Day.