What roadside assistance do you use?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Fitzjohnfan, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Since it is so darn quiet (no replies since last wed.!), i thought I'd ask a straight forward question:
    Which roadside assistance do you subscribe to (if any), and why? If you don't mind mentioning how much you pay, that would be useful too.

Reason I ask is I'm looking to change companies and would like your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Chris g.

Paythebill likes this.
  2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi Chris - We use Coach-Net thru National Interstate Insurance. Great company. They covered a $600 tow some years from out on I-8 just east of Yuma back to Phoenix and the repair shop who did all the repairs that were covered by the insurance company. Can't remember what the deductible is but I believe it's only about $100 out of pocket. Our annual cost for both insurance and the roadside assistance is about $1,100 if memory serves me. Hope you can hook up with a good reputable and reliable company as I know there are other good ones out there.................

Regards, Terry

Liam658 and Paythebill like this.
  3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

We have a direct Coach-Net account, and they have saved us probably a few thousand dollars more than we've paid them for the 10 years we've had them. We renewed last year at $279 for 3 years as I recall, and there are no deductibles, just sign and drive. I don't know what the current pricing is for new members though.

Paythebill likes this.
  4. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

We have Good Sam Roadside assistance. Knock on wood, we have not had to use the service. We renewed just this month for $119.00 for a year. New members will pay a little less for the first year.

5. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I had Good Sam this year but plan on going back to Coachnet next year. The key feature that I realized GS lacked was that if Coachnet dispatches a mobile mechanic to you,it pays for the service call and mileage; you only pay for parts and labor. GS will dispatch a mechanic but doesn't promise to cover any costs.

Paythebill likes this.
  6. WillyBill

WillyBill
    Expand Collapse

We use Allstate for all of our insurances and for their RV Roadside assistance. Have only used the roadside for autos so far but they were good on those times.

Paythebill likes this.
  7. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

We have had Good Sam for many years, and I think we also pay the previous mentioned $119 per year. This covers not only the coach but all our cars, not just those being towed. We have always had good service, mostly minor incidents except for one time which involved towing the coach over 30 mi. to a repair facility. We have probably paid more in fees than the service costs, but you just never know when something is going to happen.

Paythebill likes this.
  8. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

It's worth noting I think, that GS does not actually have a roadside assistance service. Instead, they contract with Allstate for the plan they offer under the GS name. That contract is due to expire next year unless they've extended it.

Paythebill likes this.
  9. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

I have just let my Good Sam Roadside Assistance lapse and intend to sign up for the FMCA roadside assistance. It is advertised as costing U$69 per year and will cover me for all vehicles plus my 5er even though I'm based in Canada. It also appears to have better benefits than GS and other providers. https://site.fmca.com/fmca-rv-roadside-assistance

Paythebill likes this.
  10. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Thanks everyone for your info on this subject! Hutch, the FMCA plan is not bad, but they have a small catch; you must have your FMCA membership extend past the expiration date of the roadside assistance. This means, you almost have to have a 2 year membership with FMCA in order to get 1 year of roadside assistance.

I'm letting my FMCA membership lapse next year in August, so I cannot get the roadside through them.

Paythebill likes this.
  11. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

Hi Fitzjohnfan. Thanks for this nugget of information. I hadn't realized this was needed- mainly because I hadn't researched it fully to this point but I certainly appreciate the heads-up on this. That may ramp up the cost beyond what I was expecting. Thanks again.

Paythebill likes this.
  12. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We are based in Canada and use AMA (They do cover us in the US). I can't put finger on the exact cost but it's just over $100.00 Cdn / year.

Darrell & Jerry

Paythebill likes this.
  13. garmp

garmp
    Expand Collapse

What a timely find on my part, (godda check here more often) as we're looking into Roadside assistance programs. I believe that I have it narrowed down to either CoachNet or FMCA and am leaning towards CoachNet although there is quite a cost difference. But won't move until after the first of the year.
    Keep posting your thoughts, please.

Paythebill likes this.
  14. CampingRooster

CampingRooster
    Expand Collapse

We use Good Sam. Like other have mentioned, I like the fact that it covers all of my registered vehicles; even my boat and trailer. We haven't had to use them yet and we're not looking forward to using them either.

Paythebill likes this.
  15. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Good thread!! We only have our AAA which I believe only covers just the vehicles we drive, so no road side assistance for the trailer we own now. Now on our hopeful next RV, I will be looking back at this thread. Might even start a new thread. :cool:

Mike

#15 mdcamping, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Paythebill likes this.
  16. TopEssayServices

TopEssayServices
    Expand Collapse

Good thread

Paythebill likes this.
  17. Bama Camper

Bama Camper
    Expand Collapse

Coach Net - two encounters over the years, both good results. very pleased.

18. Liam658

Liam658
    Expand Collapse

Oh cool! I also use Coach-Net, they work great. I do not regret the money spent :)

19. solo_rider

solo_rider
    Expand Collapse

We have Camping World roadside assistance and have used it twice in the last year. Both times our jeep had to be towed and both times after dark on the freeway. They kept in touch with us while we waited and came well within the given time frame.

20. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Greetings solo_rider;

We’re glad you had road side assistance but concerned you had to use it TWICE! What was the problem with your Jeep?

Darrell and Jerry