Route from Calgary to Portland Or

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by icanon, Jan 6, 2019.

1. icanon

icanon
    Expand Collapse

Hey everyone. Newbie here :)

Planning travelling from Calgary to Portland Oregon (looking at camping at Olde Stone Village)
    I'm hauling a 33' TT and google maps suggesting route 95 & 90 I'm wonder has anyone travelled this route?
    Is there lots of steep climbs and deep descents? Any parts of rte 95 or 90 should I be aware of?
    I'm travelling with my family and safety is my top priority. Have lots of driving experience but not in mountainous conditions coming from the east...lol

Also, if you have any campground suggestions along the route please don't hesitate to advise.

Thank you and looking forward for all your replies.

#1 icanon, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  2. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Greetings icanon;

Firstly, welcome to RV Park Reviews. There are a lot of friendly people with all kinds of information to share with you.

Then, in answer to your question.......there are a number of options for you to consider. I have made this trip a number of times, a few different ways.

Are you looking for the most direct route? If so you will be taking highway 22 out of Calgary and if you are familiar with the area you will know both 2 and 22 are susceptible to wind. I would do 22. More scenic and more direct. Then highway 3 crossing at Kingsgate. These are not supper wide roads but very easily traveled and no serious hills that come to mind. 95 to Spokane and on to Kennewick is again not a turnpike but an easy drive. From Kennewick to Portland takes you along the Colombia River. Very nice highway but there are some pretty good grades to contend with. If you take your time, use your engine and trans to control your speed and don't use your brake pedal unless you have to, you will be just fine. I really enjoy this route.

Are you looking for the easiest route to drive? If so, I would follow highway ONE all the way to Abbotsford BC then head south on I 5. It will take you a little longer to do. You will not be able to take advantage of the cheaper fuel prices found in the States. There are still a couple of grades but pretty mild. First being Scott Lake just west of the city, then Field Hill just over the BC border, next is Illecillewaet just west of the Rogers Pass Summit. Then there is Revelstoke and finally, the grade from the summit of the Coquihalla to just before Hope. After that there are a few smaller hills but, all in all, an easy drive all the way.

My most favorite route is to head down through the Okanagan from Sicamous crossing the border at Oroville to highway 20 just past Omak and do the North Cascade Highway. Very scenic but a little more on the narrow side. A number of hills but this is meant to be a slower drive. Once you get to Sedro Woolley follow I 5 to Portland.

We have stayed at a couple of RV Parks near Portland. None that I remember being spectacular but one I will definitely stay away from is Pheasant Ridge in Wilsonville.

I hope I have been able to give you a little bit of help. I expect some others will jump in as well.

Darrell

Paythebill likes this.
  3. icanon

icanon
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the warm welcome.
    Awesome suggestions! So detailed and helpful.
    Thank you so much.

4. Hutch333id

Hutch333id
    Expand Collapse

Icanon,

Hello and welcome to RVPR. I have done this journey several times from Cochrane using either 22 to Hwy 3 and the Crowsnest Pass or going straight west along the TCH and then crossing towards Radium Hot Springs before heading south down Hwy 95. This is nice and scenic.

I don't know what sort of campgrounds you prefer (mine are full hook-ups) but there is a great CG (Riverside) at Kimberley that offers either full or partial connections and isn't too badly priced. It's about 5 hours from here and the drive is fairly easy, especially after Radium.

From there it's about 90 minutes to the border crossing at Kingsgate and then south to Spokane as Rollin Ollens suggests. For fuel, if you need it, fill up at the gas station on 95/2 just before descending in to Bonners Ferry, ID. We have often stayed at Spokane RV Resort, Deer Park, WA (about 10 hrs from Cochrane on either route). Full service sites, concrete or asphalt pads, great swimming pool and good golf (if that's your thing). This is about U$35 per night. New Costco in Spokane (north side) that has the most fuel pumps I've ever seen and each one has diesel if you need that.

From there, straight south down Division Street, Spokane (beware of the 13'10" height restriction at the railroad bridge just before I 90.

Alternatively, from Bonners Ferry head straight south towards Coeur D' Arlene and then pick up I90 west. Costco gas/diesel just off the 95 at Hayden prior's to the I90.

Either way, then head down towards Kennewick. We stayed at a COE CG (Plymouth Park) which is very reasonable and has good services (except wi-fi). Close to Hermiston for groceries, restaurant, fuel, etc. (Be aware that in Oregon, you cannot pump your own fuel)

From there, west along I84 to Portland. I've only ever passed through there and traffic is always very heavy from my experience. There is a Costco at Tigard just through Portland for cheap gas and Diesel - tight but I was able to haul a 40' 5er through the pumps and back on to the streets without any problem.

Safe travels whatever way you go. I did review all of the locations so take a look at those if you want more details about the various stop-overs.

Regards

Richard

#4 Hutch333id, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Paythebill and Rollin Ollens like this.
  5. icanon

icanon
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the welcome.
    I will certainly check it out I'm in the planning stages and could use every bit of suggestions Routes CG and gas etc. I use truck uses gas btw.
    Thanks