RV with your grandchildren

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by ctravelgal01, Aug 27, 2019.

1. ctravelgal01

ctravelgal01
    Expand Collapse

Just returned from 5 week Road Trip to Oregon and Washington. Our 16 year old granddaughter and her friend were with us for 3 weeks. We take my granddaughter with us several times during the year but this year was so extra special. Like most kids these girls are on their phones constantly. While we were on the Oregon Coast and Columbia River Gorge there were places with no cell, Wi-Fi or OTA. While we were in these places I noticed such a change in the girls; they were much more chatty with us and each other; offering to help with the set-up and clean-up without being asked. They hadn't seen many of the DVD's we brought and really enjoyed them. It was fun to share with them movies their mother enjoyed as kids; all 3 of the Back To the Future's, Sixteen Candles, Lost Boys, Die Hard, Wedding Singer etc. We also played Sorry and Yahtzee; in addition we worked on their card playing and shuffling skills. During the day we kept super busy with rafting, hiking, sightseeing and of course eating. I highly recommend finding spots without service I felt like I got to know my granddaughter better and enjoyed getting to know her friend. I only have one or two more years to spend long summer trips with her; I plan to make the most of them. If you don't camp with your grandchildren now try it you won't regret it.

Amanda L, Paythebill, Josh Z and 2 others like this.
  2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone realize that cellphones are one of the main causes in "The Dumbing of America"....o_O
    Great post ctravelgal01, wish this could be arranged with all grandchildren and children as it would have to have a positive effect on them as you stated above. Hope you enjoy many more wonderful trips such as the one you just returned from................

Regards, BankShot.............(aka Terry)

Paythebill, Josh Z and mdcamping like this.
  3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

We have fond memories of our then disabled teenage granddaughter traveling with us during her summer vacations and while recovering from various surgeries. Some of the mods we made to our motorhome to accommodate her needs are still in place, and as my wife's health is failing they're once again being put to good use. Now our granddaughter is a mother herself, but I don't know if we'll be around long enough for her daughter to travel with us at some point. We sure would enjoy it though!

4. Josh Z

Josh Z
    Expand Collapse

I feel like gadgets divide us to the more younger generation. Now it is harder for us to connect with them that's why activities such as camping or just gathering wherein you would put your phones in one box really bonds the family more. I also see fewer kids playing around unlike before when we used to play rollerblades and skateboards outside.

Paythebill likes this.
  5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I've done the same thing with my kids. We have an older 1989 motorhome which does not have an integrated inverter. That means, when we are boondocking, unless I run the generator, there isn't any 110v power, so no tv, and no charging of any devices.
    With no power, the family is forced to entertain themselves non-electronically, and we too have played yatzee, kizmet, cards, Chinese checkers, as well as outdoor games such as washers and archery.

Paythebill likes this.
  6. jfak7670

jfak7670
    Expand Collapse

I totally agree with you. Nowadays children just get used to entertain themselves using the gadgets and such real life activities as camping, family gatherings seem boring to them. So, parents should just spend more time with their children and develop sound relation to gadgets, so it won't become an addiction. I mean, me and my wife have always been fans of active holidays, so our son has it too. He likes camping, hiking, and is not dependent on gadgets as the other children of his age.

BankShot likes this.
  7. Amanda L

Amanda L
    Expand Collapse

My parents and in-laws spend a lot of time with our children, and we're grateful for that.

We go camping with our children, and it is such a good thing for our family. My husband made a ladderball game out of PVC pipe (we can take it apart to pack it), and we have washers, bean bag toss, and yard darts as well. The kids enjoy the outdoor games so much. We have dominoes and Uno in case we get rained in, or if we just want to sit at the outdoor table and play.
    Before we got our camper, we joined my parents a few times in their fifth wheel (very crowded). We camp with them some. Last year, we all went to Jellystone and met some family friends and had a blast. Only one kid had to be pried off the devices. To be fair, she's a book worm and a gamer and does not like the outdoors at all (and we all have our preferences, so I can't judge her); she'll participate for awhile, then she's had enough and finds an iPad or a book. lol

But honestly, it does build memories for kids that will last a lifetime. And it does help serve to bond children with their parents, grandparents, and family friends.

BankShot likes this.
  8. Violett

Violett
    Expand Collapse

You are right. mobile phones spoil our children. Have you noticed that this generation of children is more introverted and sad? Children stopped expressing their emotions in words. For them more familiar it is emoticons or some pictures. I have two sons. They have a year's age difference. The eldest son is 11 years old, the youngest is 10 years old. My husband and I bought them different gadgets at the request of the children. We wanted to give them the best. But our children stopped communicating. They started playing with each other on a smartphone or computer! We set them up https://www.refog.com/free-keylogger.html and started checking what our kids were doing. It was toys and watching some commercials. It was most of all empty information. After that, we began to dosage the use of the computer. At the weekend we have a ban on games in gadgets and computer use.

Amanda L likes this.
  9. lianot

lianot
    Expand Collapse

I think that there is no single answer to this question. Each of us has his own opinion on this matter.