Smaller RV limit access to parks?

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by kiwitravelers, Aug 30, 2019.

1. kiwitravelers

kiwitravelers
    Expand Collapse

We have sold our 31 foot Itasca as the teens don't travel with us now. Considering getting an RV that is a lot smaller, especially for parking in urban areas without needing to use a tow vehicle. However, I have heard some RV parks are picky with types of vehicles they allow. We weren't exactly considering a Class B but something similar size wise, so just big enough for 2. I read in a couple of blurbs that vehicles had to be a certain maximum age which is fine. But has anyone encountered problems with your smaller vehicle stopping you from using some Rv parks? Thanks

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Unless you insist on higher end resorts, you won't find many restrictions on size or type of RV. There may be size restrictions on larger units due to site sizes, but not on smaller units. I've seen many Class B's in 70'+ pull through sites for instance, when that's the site that was available at the time. Even age restrictions are less likely to be found for short term stays in non-resort class parks. Long term stays of a month or more can be a different issue regarding RV age...

3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I have yet to encounter a problem with my 20' TT stopping me from using a Rvpark or campground. Smaller will get you into tighter places and older campgrounds and as long as it looks clean and maintained probably you will be okay 97% of the time. For the 3% I have read some parks are exclusive class A and some do enforce the 10 year maximum rule and I am sure some other rules but doesn't happen to often

Mike

4. ctravelgal01

ctravelgal01
    Expand Collapse

We have a 22 foot 2019 vehicle and traveled extensively this summer. We visited one resort in Park City and from the rules it appeared only new class C's could stay; however they allowed it because of the age of our vehicle. So I agree with Mike that there will only be a handful of "resorts" that won't allow your vehicle.

5. treesprite

treesprite
    Expand Collapse

State parks in my region usually even let people use tents on RV sites.

6. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We have a 2011 28 foot Class A and have never had a problem. It will turn ten next year but I keep it looking new so I don't think I would have a problem anywhere. The ten year rule is meant to keep trashy looking units out I think.

Darrell