Need Info On Fuel Mpg For Vehicle Pulled Trailer Or Motorhome.

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mstennmom, Oct 11, 2006.

1. mstennmom

mstennmom
    Expand Collapse

:D We are looking to purchase another RV. We did own a RV for a year or so but sold it about 2 years back. I would like to compare the mileage of different RVs all classes and Trucks used to pull trailers. I would like as many posts as possible so I and others can use it to help determine the best purchase for our use. Could you please describe the RV if it is deisel or unleaded, size, year, make, model etc. and if you tow a vehicle behind or same type Truck information used to pull the brief trailer and trailer description and post what your mileage is on the road or used for towing. I am really confused about what type of motorhome to purchase and unfortunately, for us the mileage is something for us to consider. I thought instead of looking for site after site to get this information which is actually pretty difficult to find, I would ask for the campers to post this information and then we could review this to help us determine which type of camper to purchase. I will not use this information for any other reason and I really don't ask for anyone to leave other information but if they would like to give other relavant info like if they would recommend the camper or vehicle then I would appreciate that as well. I think that this information would be extremely helpful to others out there looking at this information in relation to purchasing a new camper. Thanks for your help.

2. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

We drive a 41 foot Dutch Star with a 330HP Caterpillar engine and tow a Honda CRV. We have found that, while driving around 62-63 miles per hour on level interstates, we get around 9 miles per gallon of diesel fuel.
    Of course, this will vary depending on winds, grades in the highway, and other factors. By the way, has anyone yet figured out why diesel fuel, which is basically unrefined very low-grade gasoline, costs much, much more than the lowest grade of gasoline these days? Is it just another example of the fact that we have the best Congress that money can buy?

3. OldSoldier

OldSoldier
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the Forum and I hope the info you receive here helps.

We pull a 25foot 2006 Jayco Fifth Wheel Trailer that weighs about 7300 lbs loaded for the road. We tow with a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6 liter gas engine, Crew Cab, Short bed and 4 wheel drive.

We just returned from a 32 day trip from southeast Arizona up through the Pacific Northwest, and returned through Idaho, Montana, Utah and back to Arizona.

For perspective this is a tough mountainous trip with many mountains and long steep grades.

We covered 4318 miles door to door including in-and-around (without trailer) mileage. I kept detailed gas purchase and mileage records for my own future planning purposes. We achieved 10.8 mile per gallon and paid an average of 2.78 per gallon.

I was pleasantly surprised with performance of the set, both truck and trailer, and am looking forward to planning our next outing. Hope you find the same rewarding experience with what ever you plan to buy.

Good luck,
    OldSoldier

:)

4. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I have a duramax allison 3500 dually and get 16 empty and less pulling anything. I have a 36 foot DP with an ISM engine and get 7-8 mpg and have a 22 foot born free and get 10-11 on a ford cutaway. Speed affect results too. On the Foretravel I do not go into 6th gear till I hit 62 mph.

5. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

We have a 36 ft Foretravel motorhome at 30,000 lbs with 300 HP rear diesel and tow a Honda CRV at 3100 lbs. We travel on level roads at 60 - 65 MPH and get around 8.5 to 10 MPG. In the hills you will get less and on flat roads more. A diesel burns no fuel on down hill runs and on run from Grand Junction, CO into Denver and on east we hit 11.6 MPG. On one trip of 8800 miles our average was 10 MPG over hold trip. The trick is speed, the faster you go the more fuel you will need. The wind can be a problem due to flat front end as times, more fuel cost.

Like Beastdriver said diesel cost less to make and they charge you more to buy it. All the large trucks on road use a lot of fuel and fuel people need more dollars. One more trick diesels run cool at around 180 degs. Gas engines run very hot and on hills will cook. You will lose around 3% power in a gas engine for each 1000 ft of elevation you climb over sea level. More gas and less O2 will heat up a gas engine. Diesels do not have this problem and will run at 13,000 to 14,000 ft with no problems.

6. mastercraft

mastercraft
    Expand Collapse

I have a Chevrolet 2500HD diesel. I pull a 36 foot 15,000 lb 5th wheel. I get anywhere from 11 to 14 mpg depending on the terrain. I have made some modifications with computer chips and exhaust upgrades. I have found that my mileage did not change much, but I have more power. I usually drive between 60 and 65 on the interstate. Best of luck and welcome to the forum.
    I have been thinking the same about the diesel prices. All I can figure is that they are hitting us pickup drivers. I have found the diesel is cheaper in rural areas at the truck stops. I paid thirty cents cheaper in rural GA than I pay around Atlanta. Go figure that!!!!

7. Butch

Butch
    Expand Collapse

Fuel mileage is a subject that has many variables, speed, weather, weight, location, driver, and equipment. When we had our 5th wheel-truck combo, fuel mileage was at best just shy of 10 mpg at 9.86. We had a 2000 Ford 4x2 F-250 super-cab w/ 8 foot box, single rear wheel, w/ a v-10 gas engine, a 4R100 transmission, with a rear gear ratio of 3.73 posi . We were towing a model 3520 (36 foot) 1997 Jayco Designer- two slide unit that was at the tow vehicle's tow limit, 14,500 lbs. The truck, itself, would obtain a fuel mileage 16 mpg over the road. The truck was equipped with a roll-up " Pace Edwards " tonneau cover.
    We now have a 2003, 36 foot, Holiday Rambler Vacationer w/ a workhorse chassis. The workhorse chassis has a 8.1 liter, 496 cu in, v-8 gas engine rated at 340 hp, an Allison 5 speed transmission, and a rear gear ratio of 5.38. We tow, w/ a tow dolly, a Hyundai Elantra, at a total weight of just under 4,000 lbs. Total weight of 26,000 lbs. The fuel mileage varies between 6.5 to 7.8 mpg, sure wish the fuel mileage was better, but in speaking to others, the mpg figure, seems to be about the same.

8. camperdad18201

camperdad18201
    Expand Collapse

We have a 31 ft fleetwood pace arrow motorhome w/454 chevy gas engine. We get around 10-12 miles per gallon avg, and I don't like to putt up hills :) :) Hope this helps

9. deerslayer

deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

I own a 30ft nomad about 8500lbs pull with 3500 dulley 454 gas burner went to the moutains last week got about 10 11 mpg had my foot in most of the way 70 75 mph

10. oldcutup

oldcutup
    Expand Collapse

We just purchesed our 36' Dolphin last year. We could not be happier. The rig has a chevy vortec engine with a 5 speed Allison transmission. It by far is the sweetest running MH I have ever owned. Our tow is a small 2 dr hatchback and the MH dose'nt know it's back there.
    The average MPG is 7.5 to 8.0. Can't complain about that with all of the reserved power this Work horse Chassis has. The five speed transmission reves the engine around 2200 rpm at 67MPH.
    I can't speak to the fithwheel portion of your question. I had a one ton dually under a truck camper and it wouldnot pass too many stations.

Happy camping Oldcutup

11. Leezerman

Leezerman
    Expand Collapse

I have a GMC 2500hd 6.0 4x4 with 4.10 axels. I pull a 27 ft Aljo fifth wheel coming in at 7500 to 8000lbs loaded. Just ran up to the mountains last weekend for some boondocking and averaged about 10mpg but it should improve some ( :unsure: ) as I only have 2500 miles on the truck.

12. oldcutup

oldcutup
    Expand Collapse

Comparing apples and oranges

Just a few additional thoughts about your dilemma of truck or MH, diesel or gas.

The first thought is that the initial purchase would put the diesel in a more costly category. You will pay 10K to 15K more for a diesel equipped unit. The cost of diesel fuel is more and the service factor is more.
    I have had reports of a diesel equipped MH will average 12 to 15 MPG.
    You would have to drive a lot of miles to make up the difference. Diesel engines are meant to be driven long and hard distances.

A diesel truck (dually) will cost a bundle if it’s equipped properly. You should also have a need for a 40K pickup setting in your driveway. The same thing applies having a MH lying around your yard.
    We have considered both options of partial-full timing, but my wife likes the fact that you can refill our coffee cups and serve up lunch as we go down the highway. Also, you have to stop to use the restroom. That in itself would make the wife stay at home. Not part of the plan!

I also see setting up a 5th-wheel as a lot of trouble. If you are going to be in one spot for a long time, then a 5th-wheel may be the way to go.

When you are selecting a way of life you wish to accomplish when hitting the road. There are other things to consider besides gas mileage. There are several books you can purchase to help you make that decision.
    Good luck, oldcutup

13. jojolima

jojolima
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(oldcutup @ Oct 20 2006, 11:23 AM) [snapback]5301[/snapback]

Comparing apples and oranges

Just a few additional thoughts about your dilemma of truck or MH, diesel or gas.

The first thought is that the initial purchase would put the diesel in a more costly category. You will pay 10K to 15K more for a diesel equipped unit. The cost of diesel fuel is more and the service factor is more.
    I have had reports of a diesel equipped MH will average 12 to 15 MPG.
    You would have to drive a lot of miles to make up the difference. Diesel engines are meant to be driven long and hard distances.

A diesel truck (dually) will cost a bundle if it’s equipped properly. You should also have a need for a 40K pickup setting in your driveway. The same thing applies having a MH lying around your yard.
    We have considered both options of partial-full timing, but my wife likes the fact that you can refill our coffee cups and serve up lunch as we go down the highway. Also, you have to stop to use the restroom. That in itself would make the wife stay at home. Not part of the plan!

I also see setting up a 5th-wheel as a lot of trouble. If you are going to be in one spot for a long time, then a 5th-wheel may be the way to go.

When you are selecting a way of life you wish to accomplish when hitting the road. There are other things to consider besides gas mileage. There are several books you can purchase to help you make that decision.
    Good luck, oldcutup

14. jas&nik

jas&nik
    Expand Collapse

I have had 2 trucks pull the same 35 ft fifth wheel first was a 09 gmc 2500 hd with 6.0 gas. It pulled ok in Kansas were it is flat with some small hills got about 6-8 mpg at 65mph. Just depended on the wind there are times we fight high winds out here. My current truck is 11 gmc diesel. We just returned from Colorado last week and averaged 10-11 mpg and I try to run 65-70 when I can

15. chowhound

chowhound
    Expand Collapse

We started out in a 31 ft winnebago with the ford v-10 genrally got between 9.5 and 10.5 mpg. the best ever was 11.6 mpg with a tail wind. When we added a Jeep Liberty tow vehicle the mpg dropped a little more than 10% to between 6.5 and 7.8. We now have a 38' Tiffin with the Cummins 6.7 L diesel pulling the same Jeep liberty mpg is between 8.5 and 9.0.

I also have a dodge 2500 Mega cab with the smaller cummins 5.9 L engine. empty, mpg was about 15 to 16 in city and 18 to 19 on highway. I put the complete Banks Power system on the truck from ram air to 4" pipes front to back. Now have a big boost in mpg to 18 city and a little over 20 on highway when empty. When pulling a 21' Triton on the highway and dialing up the power boost a little mpg runs between 16 and 17 mpg. I would highly reccommend you consider the banks system. Now I am waiting and considering one for the new Tiffin.

16. VtLee

VtLee
    Expand Collapse

We have a '97 Ford F-250 that has been used only for camping. The engine is 7.3 liters with a 5 speed standard shift. We started out with a 10ft. truck camper and averaged 14 mpg. We then switched to a 30ft. Jayco Eagle 5th. wheel which weighed around 10,000 lbs. and we averaged 11 mpg. Last year we bought a 27.5 ft. Cougar 5th wheel which is around 8,000 lbs. and more aerodynamic. My MPG has been pretty consistent at around 13, depending more on speed than anything else. I try not to go over 65 mph. I would assume that the newer trucks would get better mileage. Since 2007 the new diesel fuel formulation is not as powerful.

17. Tallboy

Tallboy
    Expand Collapse

Have a used 2000 Kenworth T-600. Was modified to carry two motorcycles. That was the main reason for getting it. Has a 430 hp diesel enigne. Pulls a 15,900 pound trailer. Truck gets 8.5 to 9.5 mpg.

Have have since sold the motorcycles and have a car. Don't tow it behind the trailer since there are so many states where it's illegal to we'd be to long anyway.

Have thought about selling the truck and getting a 2011 or newer Dodge, Chevy, GMC, or Ford with the new and improved engine, but not sure it will pull the trailer up a 7% grade at the speed limit. Which I can do now.

18. Meyer Camping

Meyer Camping
    Expand Collapse

Our 2002 GMC Yukon XL 2500 has the 8.1 liter engine and tows 12,000 pounds so it handles our 7,400 pound (empty) with no problems. Over the last 37,000 miles we have averaged 9.93 mpg. over that period. For us, the biggest factor is speed. I try to keep the speed at 60 when pulling the trailer since our mileage can drop to 6.5 when pushing hard.

19. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

I think the moral of the whole story is that you can expect to get between 8 to 10 miles per gallon humming along between 60 and 65mph, and it does not matter what combination of rig you run. I confirm this with my 31ft Allegro with the V10 Ford. For trips longer than a weekend outing (which is going to be between 75 to 150 miles from home), I just use an average of 8mpg for my trip budgeting purpose. This has worked well for my wife and I and we gererally have a little extra $$ left over from fuel costs. We also plan time based on the 60-65mph base for stops and arrival times etc.
    As other posts have pointed out, unless you want to be destained only to the campground, you have to tow something. The question is then what do you want to drive day in and day out when you are not camping? We also like the idea of tooling down the two lane with the abiltiy to have sandwiches and snacks as we make time to our destination.

20. pgfamily

pgfamily
    Expand Collapse

We have a 2011 F350 4x4 with the 6.7 diesel, and tow a 32' jayco weighing 10000lbs. We get about 12mpg doing about 70mph. I'm told that when I get a few more miles on the truck, I'll start getting a few more mpg's too, so I'm happy.