Need Info On Fuel Mpg For Vehicle Pulled Trailer Or Motorhome.

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mstennmom, Oct 11, 2006.

1. KETTERMN

KETTERMN
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(mstennmom @ Oct 11 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]5233[/snapback]

:D We are looking to purchase another RV. We did own a RV for a year or so but sold it about 2 years back. I would like to compare the mileage of different RVs all classes and Trucks used to pull trailers. I would like as many posts as possible so I and others can use it to help determine the best purchase for our use. Could you please describe the RV if it is deisel or unleaded, size, year, make, model etc. and if you tow a vehicle behind or same type Truck information used to pull the brief trailer and trailer description and post what your mileage is on the road or used for towing. I am really confused about what type of motorhome to purchase and unfortunately, for us the mileage is something for us to consider. I thought instead of looking for site after site to get this information which is actually pretty difficult to find, I would ask for the campers to post this information and then we could review this to help us determine which type of camper to purchase. I will not use this information for any other reason and I really don't ask for anyone to leave other information but if they would like to give other relavant info like if they would recommend the camper or vehicle then I would appreciate that as well. I think that this information would be extremely helpful to others out there looking at this information in relation to purchasing a new camper. Thanks for your help.

We have 38 ft 5th wheel with 5 slides outs, fulley loaded, pulling with 1998 F350 truck 6.0 engine we get right at 12 miles to the gallon on gas. We like the fact of droping the home and driving the truck where we need to go after set up.It is easer for us with big family.Hope this helps.

2. RFCN2

RFCN2
    Expand Collapse

We have a 42' country coach affinity with tag. Weight is something like 40,000 lbs. With Saturn tow we get around 7-8 mpg average. Some friends of ours have a 35' Bounder DP and just got back from 8,000 mile trip. They averaged 9.6 mpg towing an Explorer. IMHO these are about the average you can expect. I usually keep my hwy speed about 62.

3. DavyD

DavyD
    Expand Collapse

I have a 30 foot Class "C" Motorhome with a 6.8 liter Ford V-10 engine. In addition, I pull a Saturn Vue SUV. I usually average 7 to 8 miles per gallon in a year that I usually travel around 12,000 miles. One more variable that I will throw in is that I will try to avoid interstate highways and travel on US highways when possible to get to see more of the cities and towns as opposed to driving around them.

4. campinggirl1964

campinggirl1964
    Expand Collapse

Greetings:

Tow vehicle: 2000 Ford F350, 7.3l turbo diesel
    RV: 2006 Silverback 33LBHTS, 35', 10,500 lbs dry

2 recent trips this year:
    Ontario - Florida: averaged 11.6 MPG for entire trip
    Ontario - Massachusetts - Ohio: averaged 12.0 MPG

Highway speed is typically 60 - 62 MPH

5. Tom

Tom
    Expand Collapse

I wonder if the original poster ever came back to read the replys?

6. campinggirl1964

campinggirl1964
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Tom @ Aug 8 2011, 08:13 PM) [snapback]27128[/snapback]

I wonder if the original poster ever came back to read the replys?

I just realized his post was from 2006....hopefully he made his decision long ago, however, it's interesting to see the different comparisons! B)

7. chowhound

chowhound
    Expand Collapse

The original post may have been from 2006, but they have had more replies in the last 30 days than the the original. Although I feel somewht responible for the "rebirth" of this thread, I found it interesting that the everyones results were pretty consistant, despite 5 years of technology advances.

8. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(chowhound @ Aug 11 2011, 07:13 PM) [snapback]27154[/snapback]

The original post may have been from 2006, but they have had more replies in the last 30 days than the the original. Although I feel somewht responible for the "rebirth" of this thread, I found it interesting that the everyones results were pretty consistant, despite 5 years of technology advances.

chowhound I think the MPG has not changed that much because the advances that you would think modern technology has given us is being eaten up with more weight and features. My
    Allegro is a 2000, and in some ways looks like it is ancient compared to how rigs are being built today. More slide outs, tile floors (heavy), bigger fridges, more stowage space to load up on alot junk probably not needed, to name just a few. I also think that you can only do so much because of the aerodynamics and shear size of of todays RV's. When I think of it though, we have had some improvements. Had a friend back in the 80's with a nice size class C. It had a Chevy 454 in it. His average mileage back and forth from WNY to Florida several times a year was in the 3-4 MPG! ranges. If that was still the case today, I would think alot of us would find another way to enjoy the great outdoors and the splendor this country holds for us.

9. elkhntr4evr

elkhntr4evr
    Expand Collapse

I have not yet purchased an RV and am looking at buying a Diesel Pusher, so I appreciate everyones comments to the person that asked questions concerning Motorhomes to Travel trailers, and Fifth wheels. I plan on getting mine when I return from Afghanistan within a few months. I have about two more years until I retire, and love being in the outdoors, and traveling. I love to drive. I am coming back to Fort Hood, TX so if anyone knows of any good deals there and they don't mind helping out a soon to be retiree, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all of your great information even though it was back in 2011, it was very helpful.

10. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(elkhntr4evr @ Apr 1 2012, 04:58 AM) [snapback]29147[/snapback]

I have not yet purchased an RV and am looking at buying a Diesel Pusher, so I appreciate everyones comments to the person that asked questions concerning Motorhomes to Travel trailers, and Fifth wheels. I plan on getting mine when I return from Afghanistan within a few months. I have about two more years until I retire, and love being in the outdoors, and traveling. I love to drive. I am coming back to Fort Hood, TX so if anyone knows of any good deals there and they don't mind helping out a soon to be retiree, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all of your great information even though it was back in 2011, it was very helpful.

First off, Thank You for your service. My son served 3 tours in Iraq and 1 in Afghanistan with the Rangers.

When comparing type of RV to get into, the one basic premise is that you will be towing something. Pick up towing a trailer or fifth wheel, motor home, either class C or A eventually you will be towing either a car on a dolly or flat towing a car behind you. If you are a pick up type of guy then the fifth wheel will give you by far the most room and floor plan options. Trailers are more econimiacal, but I have seen some that are as nice as fancy class A motor homes. I prefer the class A motor home {bus type) because of the convenience of having your living space with you as you go down the road. Need to go the the bathroom while on the highway, just pull over and use yours. Want a snack to a full cooked meal while traveling, the kitchen is right there. Pull into a campground after dark, just back in, plug in your electric and hook up the water, set your auto leveling jacks on auto and in about 10 mins. your set for at least the evening. Shop around, get as much info from dealers and users and you will do fine. Good Luck with your deployment and future RV'ing!

11. RV Camper1

RV Camper1
    Expand Collapse

Welcome aboard, Elkhunter! It is good to have you here. There are a lot of veterans in the group. I am Viet Nam era and exNavy. We have three sons all exArmy with our youngest recently retired from 24 years service.

On the RV choice, there is a lot to consider. I think that you might get more help if you were to also read the forums of the Escapee's RV Club.

12. KentuckyCampin

KentuckyCampin
    Expand Collapse

I have a 2011 30' jayco jayflight swift and tow it with a 2011 Chevy silverado 2500 hd. It has the 6.0 gas engine w/6spd auto tranny. Last year I kept track of all the mileage just to see what I got, and it is right around 10-11 mpg. We towed from KY to FL last fall and thats what I got down and back as well. I drive this truck as my daily driver and only get about 14 mpg, so a 3 or 4 mpg drop towing a trailer wasnt too bad.

13. Bud and Donna

Bud and Donna
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(campinggirl1964 @ Aug 6 2011, 07:15 AM) [snapback]27108[/snapback]

Greetings:

Tow vehicle: 2000 Ford F350, 7.3l turbo diesel
    RV: 2006 Silverback 33LBHTS, 35', 10,500 lbs dry

2 recent trips this year:
    Ontario - Florida: averaged 11.6 MPG for entire trip
    Ontario - Massachusetts - Ohio: averaged 12.0 MPG

Highway speed is typically 60 - 62 MPH

14. Bud and Donna

Bud and Donna
    Expand Collapse

We are seniors who used to have motorhomes but dropped out and have been working .... Would like to be able to go back into Rv ng before we are too old to do anything. We know we want a motorhome, as like to be able to bake, cook, etc on the road. However are concerned about cost, mpg, right choice for this stage of our lives. I'm thinking 28 ft class c for economy, small foot print that can park just about anywhere - my hubby is thinking diesel, and large, class a...... Any advise from those that are there? We are relatively low income so need to make the wisest decision possible and from reading the forum, it sounds like mpg is still in the 8mpg level. Is there anything new in this area or is that still true? Are there any really good choices for this stage of our lives or anything to steer clear of?

Thanks for any nut you may be able to give!

15. pianotuna

pianotuna
    Expand Collapse

Hi,

How about a 30 foot class A? It may have better fuel economy than a class C and the Ford v-10 would do about 10 mpg. If going to diesel on a sprinter chassis that could be 15 mpg--but the upfront costs are so much higher that there are no real savings over the life of the RV.

16. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

A 28ft class C is not going to get any better mileage than a smaller class A gas and the footprint is going to be about the same too. Many women like C's because they drive somewhat like a Ford van. When my wife and I bought our 32ft class A she too really wanted a smaller C because she thought she would not be able to drive the higher profile body that the A provides. Five years later, she wouldn't think of anything but a class A, she often takes our rig out on sisters weekends touring around the New York State Finger Lakes region of wineries. As far as cost goes, there are a ton of older A's out there with low mileage (not always a true indicator of use because some are parked in campgrounds for the season or extended periods of time) and little wear and tear for not alot of money, especially if you forgo options like slide outs. Good luck on your quest and keep us informed how you make out and fills us in when the adventures start again.

17. Bud and Donna

Bud and Donna
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(pianotuna @ Jun 27 2012, 06:33 AM) [snapback]29845[/snapback]

Hi,

How about a 30 foot class A? It may have better fuel economy than a class C and the Ford v-10 would do about 10 mpg. If going to diesel on a sprinter chassis that could be 15 mpg--but the upfront costs are so much higher that there are no real savings over the life of the RV.

Thank you for the info - you bring up good points that we will consider. We had ruled out diesels just because of the cost. I guess I'd hoped for better than 10 Mpg.... We'd had a truck & camper with 17 mpg but are too old to climb over the cab etc at this time..... And don't want to go back to a 5th wheel & the hassles as didn't go out because of the hassles so have least come to the conclusion we are MH people.... Just a bit scared of making a mistake at this point of our lives. :)

18. Bud and Donna

Bud and Donna
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(vincee @ Jun 27 2012, 08:45 AM) [snapback]29846[/snapback]

A 28ft class C is not going to get any better mileage than a smaller class A gas and the footprint is going to be about the same too. Many women like C's because they drive somewhat like a Ford van. When my wife and I bought our 32ft class A she too really wanted a smaller C because she thought she would not be able to drive the higher profile body that the A provides. Five years later, she wouldn't think of anything but a class A, she often takes our rig out on sisters weekends touring around the New York State Finger Lakes region of wineries. As far as cost goes, there are a ton of older A's out there with low mileage (not always a true indicator of use because some are parked in campgrounds for the season or extended periods of time) and little wear and tear for not alot of money, especially if you forgo options like slide outs. Good luck on your quest and keep us informed how you make out and fills us in when the adventures start again.

Thank you for the input - I've driven a 30 ft class a befor just thinking of being able to use it more often for things like overnight visits to the kids, etc and most of all gas mileage. As funds are limited - want to be able to use and enjoy... Not just park. :)

19. vincee

vincee
    Expand Collapse

Unless you guys go with a Sprinter type class B (large conversion van) you are going to be hard pressed to get any kind of mileage over 10mpg. A side note, I have gotton as high as 11.92mpg on my 32ft A by taking two lane roads and driving at a leisurely pace. As far as not wanting to make a mistake, if you look, touch, fiddle and poke and talk, talk, talk, you'll be ok. Your not new to RV'ing so you already are ahead of the curve in knowing what to look for, your needs and likes etc. Go and do it (like the Nike ad) take a chance and you may surprise yourself on how much you do know and how good your judgement is, This darn Beautiful country of ours is out there with a large Open sign waiting for your arrival! Enjoy and good luck.

20. Bud and Donna

Bud and Donna
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(vincee @ Jun 30 2012, 07:03 AM) [snapback]29860[/snapback]

Unless you guys go with a Sprinter type class B (large conversion van) you are going to be hard pressed to get any kind of mileage over 10mpg. A side note, I have gotton as high as 11.92mpg on my 32ft A by taking two lane roads and driving at a leisurely pace. As far as not wanting to make a mistake, if you look, touch, fiddle and poke and talk, talk, talk, you'll be ok. Your not new to RV'ing so you already are ahead of the curve in knowing what to look for, your needs and likes etc. Go and do it (like the Nike ad) take a chance and you may surprise yourself on how much you do know and how good your judgement is, This darn Beautiful country of ours is out there with a large Open sign waiting for your arrival! Enjoy and good luck.

We may have found the one, a 2000 Bounder 31W with 14k miles. It is on a Ford V10 and very clean, good response & ride. They want $27k for it... Say it should get 10-12 mpg if you use cruise control & good judgement. Am excited & scared....