Need Info On Fuel Mpg For Vehicle Pulled Trailer Or Motorhome.

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mstennmom, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Bud in Florida

Bud in Florida
    Expand Collapse

Great that you are excited Bud and Donna. If you buy used it is hard to make a mistake. You can usually get most of your money back if you take care of the unit. I have a 36 foot Damon on a Ford chassis and get around 8 to 8.5 even when towing my car. My solution to the high gas prices is to stay places longer thereby spreading the fuel cost over a longer time. Also, you can save with discount camping places like Passport America, and State and National parks. When you add it all up, traveling by RV is still not a bad deal.
    Suppose you went on a week long trip 1000 miles from your home. If you take your RV the gas RT would be about 235 gals @ $3.25 = $763. If you went by car you would use say 90 gal of gas @ $3.25 or $260. Then lets say you spend $25 a night in camping fees or $175, but you would have to spend $75 for motel rooms in a nice place or $525. Plus meals. Eating out vs cooking at the campground that could be a savings of $200. So the RV trip was $763 + $175 = $938 and the trip by car was $785 and you have an additional savings on food so both trips cost about the same and you have your own bed!!!

2. Wind Runner

Wind Runner
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(elkhntr4evr @ Apr 1 2012, 03:58 AM) [snapback]29147[/snapback]
    I am coming back to Fort Hood, TX so if anyone knows of any good deals there and they don't mind helping out a soon to be retiree, it would be greatly appreciated.

You should be just about ready to rotate home now, so my recommendation for the Ft. Hood area is to investigate units in the retirement areas of Arizona. Dry climate, so fewer corrosion problems. A used, good condition low-milage unit will suffer less depreciation than new, at the cost of spending time and money for some inevitable repairs. Even brand-new units will need some repairs under warranty; it just goes with the territory.

Again, thanks for your service. Enjoy your time at home.

3. jmcf46

jmcf46
    Expand Collapse

I pulled a 6900 lb 5th wheeler to Maine and averaged 11 mpg with a high of 13 mpg and low of 10 mpg. The truck is a 1/2 ton toyota 5.7l tundra. It pulled just fine even in moderate upgrades. I chose the 26sab 5th wheeler since it is rated for a 1/2 ton. If I had a 3/4 ton might have pulled easier with better milage.

4. Wydglide

Wydglide
    Expand Collapse

2004 Dodge Durango, 5.7L Hemi.
    2009 30ft Keystone Hideout. Approx. 7,000 loaded.
    Wind at my back avg. 11.5 mpg.
    Head wind as low as 7.5 mpg.
    Durango tows great with the 365 hp Hemi.

5. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I have owned 6 different RVs and lots of different trucks and jeeps. The milage on an RV is not the issue really. Your roads will determine that. You go to the mountains or drive in them you are going to get worse mileage. In the scope of things you just drive there and park and drive the tow vehicle or the toad around more miles than you drive. If you are driving lots of miles than it makes a difference. I put on over 30,000 miles a year on my motorhome but most MHs and trailers are lucky to get 5000 miles a year on them. If you got 10 miles to the gallon or 8 miles to the gallon that means it will be the difference of 125 gallons of fuel over the course of the year. you are talking a difference of 437 dollars a year. If that is a factor in your decision to RV then I would not bother and get a fuel efficient car and stay in a hotel. It is cheaper to do that than to RV. If you are driving a lot of miles then milage might factor in a bit more but then other things factor in more.