Ants....how To Get Rid Of Them?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Melissa D. SC, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Melissa D. SC

Melissa D. SC
    Expand Collapse

Hello all,
    We were recently given a 1995 27' Award Travel trailer. It has been used up until a year ago and has sat for the last year under some oak trees.

When we went down to pick it up in FL, the owners found that ants had gotten inside...small tiny ones.... not a major mess but everywhere to say the least and 90% were dead...probably from heat stroke :p

However, we brought it back up to SC and we are still finding ants each day or every other day, just one or two. Last night my husband power washed the whole outside, in the crevices of the awning etc.

Today it seemed there were a few more live ones inside the trailer.....and no more than 10 all total....

Any suggestions on just getting rid of them permanently?

2. John Blue

John Blue
    Expand Collapse

Not a problem. Take a small piece of clear tape and pick up two or three ants. Now go to website below and see what type of ants you have. This will tell you what they will eat. You may also have a supply house in your town that with sell the same products. Very easy is kill them off with the correct products. Most all cities will have the House of Bugs or some name like that.

http://www.epestsupply.com/

3. acenorm

acenorm
    Expand Collapse

You may have more than 10, if they are inside the wood. You may be seeing just what is coming out.

Best Regards,
    Norm

4. Melissa D. SC

Melissa D. SC
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the tips. We are heading to the hardware store today to find something to kill the ones we have.

I think there are more than 10 for sure. We just need to get them to take food back to the rest of the colony to get rid of them all!!

5. meatwagon45

meatwagon45
    Expand Collapse

A few random bait traps in a trailer is not a bad idea. A premptive strike before you get a real mess can save you headache and hundreds. I set a few out each spring and have not seen any yet. All you need is 1 ant to create a colony and they can be carried into your camper after a picnic or even a walk.

6. wfmdfm

wfmdfm
    Expand Collapse

We are up against the same issue here but we have black carpenter ants. I started finding small piles of white flakes in a few spots. I just cleaned them up. Than I noticed the flakes inside the light fixtures Then I found a few ants. I took all the padding ect I could out of the trailer covered the rest with plastic and used a bug bomb. The next day there were dead ants all over. It has taken several bombs to complete the job but I can tell it is working. At this point if I had DTD I would dump it all over!! Good Luck.

7. Luvtheroad

Luvtheroad
    Expand Collapse

Luckily we haven't had any in the camper yet, but I do have a few kitchen infestations each year. As I don't like to use insecticides in the house, I found that spraying them with ammonia works really well. It kills them pretty fast and, most importantly, it messes up their "scent track", so the ants outside don't follow the track into the house. Since I use an ammonia and water solution for a lot of kitchen cleaning anyway, this works out fine. I just wipe up the dead ants with a paper towel. Usually, I never see another one in the kitchen until the next "visitation".

8. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Ooooh! I had not thought about ammonia based products for inside the rig. Thanks for that tip.

AMDRO Ant Block.

This stuff has been incredible: both when we lived in the desert southwest, encountering ants of MEGA proportions, color, and desired foods; but also with our years on the road.

Don't be put off by the price. Think I paid $25 bucks at a Home Depo for a 24 oz plastic container. You don't need much. Sprinkled OUTSIDE your rig.

Based on the cost, I usually scout out the point (s) of origin and sprinkle a couple tablespoon-fulls where I see the ants (usually a trail from some unknown site).

In our 4 years, I've gotten GOOOOOOD at figuring out ant invations.

DON'T forget overhead trees or any vegitation that TOUCHES your rig. Sprinkle at the base of said tree.

Ant doom! :ph34r:

9. Trailer Park Casanova

Trailer Park Casanova
    Expand Collapse

Grants Ants sold at Home Depot and Lowes.
    Takes awhile to work, but once it kicks in it's great IMHO.

10. dog bone

dog bone
    Expand Collapse

I don't have an ant problem at my seasonal site, but on vacation I got the little red ones in. I used a spray and ant traps. We got lucky it wasn't to bad.
    Now when we go away I buy ant granules at lowes or home depot and circle the trailer with it. I also spray the hose and electric cord. So far so good.
    I never thought of ammonia either. Gotta put that on the back burner.

11. Ree

Ree
    Expand Collapse

I was in Sarasota, Fl last winter and had some ants in my coach. I was told ants do not like the smell of orange so I had clorox wipes with orange scent. I wiped down my counters and bathroom floors with it, and left some wipes in different areas of the coach.....no more ants. I couldn't believe it! Don't know if it will work for you but it sure helped me.

12. willranless

willranless
    Expand Collapse

A fellow camper shared this tip with me about how to keep ants out. Spread a small amount of Vaseline on any surface they may climb up such as the water hose, electric cable etc. Not the entire length, just a few inches near the camper. He says the ants refuse to crawl across it at all. I suppose applying it to the jacks and tires could be somewhat of a chore depending on the type of RV you have, but after reading some of the horror stories some have had with ants, it might be less trouble than getting them to leave once they have invaded your RV.

13. RLM

RLM
    Expand Collapse

If there is a preference to use common, non-toxic household products inside of the RV, then consider scented talcum baby powder, cinnamon powder or sticks, or black pepper in places where ants might enter. A 50/50 mix of water and white vinegar can be sprayed in cabinets or on counter surfaces.

On the outside, a mixture of Windex and liquid ivory soap sprayed on hoses and electrical cords is effective. The soap will work to help clean the hoses with water when you are finished with them.

I sprinkle Borax powder around the perimeter of the RV when at any campsite. Ants and spiders won’t cross that line. A product called Diatomaceous Earth is very effective, but not quite as cheap as borax.

14. rmorrison100

rmorrison100
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for your tips.

15. FosterImposters

FosterImposters
    Expand Collapse

Spring Break...
    Ok: any tips on ridding a park of teenage, mutant, ninja ants?
    :rolleyes:

Especially the ones infesting expensive rental RV's?
    :lol:

16. hapse

hapse
    Expand Collapse

Hello All,

I m killing ants solution to say for anyone please follow my instruction then remove ants ur home.
    10 solution to suggest please follow u. ok

10 Simple Solutions to Help You Get Rid of Ants for Good

Sticky tape

Is a multitude of ants walking toward the treat jostle on your ledge or some sweet prize in your wash room? Here's the means by which to dispose of ants utilizing just tape: Create a "canal" around the question by encompassing it with sticky tape or channel tape set sticky side up. Ants or not, it's dependably a smart thought to have a flexible move of pipe tape around the house. Here's the means by which to dispose of the 10 most sickening bugs in your home!

Basters

On the off chance that you've had it with imparting your living quarters to bugs or ants, give them the push by sprinkling boric corrosive along any breaks or fissure where you've detected the interlopers. Utilize a baster to blow little measures of the powder into difficult to-achieve corners and any profound voids you go over. Note: Keep as a primary concern that boric corrosive can be lethal if ingested by youthful youngsters or pets. Ensure you know these 13 mysteries about bugs that nuisance control will never let you know.

Chalk

Another incredible case of how to dispose of ants: Keep them under control by drawing a line around home section focuses. The ants will be repulsed by the calcium carbonate in the chalk, which is really comprised of ground-up and compacted shells of marine creatures. Disseminate powdered chalk around plant plants to repulse ants and slugs. Look at these blood sucker insider facts that will ward off the nuisances for good!

Flour

Thinking about how to dispose of ants without unsafe pesticides? Sprinkle a line of flour along the backs of storeroom racks and wherever you see ants going into the house. Repulsed by the flour, ants won't traverse the line.

Vases

In the event that fire ants torment your yard or porch and you're burnt out on getting stung by the minor aggressors, a vase can enable you to extinguish the issue. Place the window box topsy turvy over the ant colony dwelling place. Pour bubbling water through the deplete opening and you'll be torching their home. Additionally, pot these 8 splendid plants to keep mosquitoes out of your yard!

Lemons

You needn't bother with bug sprays or insect traps to subterranean insect confirmation your kitchen. Utilize lemons; they're more intense than you'd understand. Simply look at all these family things you can clean with lemons rather than synthetic compounds. Here's the manner by which to dispose of ants with the lemon treatment: First, squirt some lemon squeeze on entryway edges and windowsills. At that point crush lemon juice into any openings or splits where the ants are getting in. At last, dissipate little cuts of lemon peel around the open air entrance. The ants will get the message that they aren't welcome. Lemons are additionally powerful against cockroaches and insects: Simply blend the juice of 4 lemons (alongside the skins) with 1/2 gallon (2 liters) water and wash your floors with it; at that point watch the bugs and bugs escape. They abhor the scent. Attempt one of these 8 ensured approaches to bug-confirmation your kitchen.

Oranges

Dispose of the ants in your garden, on your yard, and along the establishment of your home. In a blender, influence a smooth puree of a couple of orange peels in 1 to container warm water. Gradually empty the arrangement over and into ant colony dwelling places to ask the little bugs to leave for good. What's more, snatch these 8 confided in mosquito-repellant items next time you go shopping.

Pepper

A few of your yearly summer guests have attacked your kitchen. Those ants are searching for sugar. Give them some pepper. Cayenne pepper sprinkled in spots where the ants are looking, for example, along the backs of your ledges or on your baseboards, will disclose to them that no sugar is ahead. In the event that you discover the ants' home state excessively near yours and it's making them migrate to your kitchen, cayenne pepper can help dispose of it. Pour the pepper down the insect opening and say so long to ants.

Plastic compartments

You observe weakly as the ants walk up the open air table leg, onto the tabletop, and into the tasty outing dishes you made for your family. Here's a secure method to leave them speechless: Place a plastic compartment on the base of each park table leg. Load up with water. The ants won't have the capacity to slither past. These 10 normal tick repellent cures really work!

Salt
    Diverse sorts of salt. Ocean and kitchen salt. Top view on two wooden spoons on dark foundation.
    On the off chance that ants are beating a way to your home, block them by sprinkling salt over the door jamb or specifically on their ways. Ants will be debilitated from intersection this hindrance.

17. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

We had fire ants create a convoy up and down our electrical cable last spring. The Vaseline trick (just a ring around the cable) worked well. When we return to TX next week I'm going to put Vaseline on the electrical cable and the water hose.

One thing I did learn is that if you put the Vaseline on after they've already started going up and down something like a cable, you will end up stranding hundreds of them inside your RV and they will go nuts looking for a way out. That can create all sorts of other problems!

Paythebill likes this.
  18. TraceyCornish

TraceyCornish
    Expand Collapse

I was interested to read your comments, thank you for sharing.

#18 TraceyCornish, Sep 14, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2020