WiFi using a SIM card (Unlimited data using Verizon)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Zylawy, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Zylawy

Zylawy
    Expand Collapse

Hello All,

I am looking at getting a 5th wheel and moving out west from Ontario. As a parent, having a 9 year old without internet will drive my wife and I nuts.

I am looking at buying this product: https://winegard.com/products/cellular/4g-lte-hotspots/connect-4g-mobile/connect-2-4g2 and getting a SIM card / account from Verizon. (I have someone who can mail me what I need from the US and I do know this works in Canada)

The trailer in question is:
    https://www.jayco.com/products/fifth-wheels/2021-north-point/377rlbh/ I am new to RV'ing and I will assume this will be mounted on the top of the trailer, but as my background is IT; can I run ethernet cable from the roof into the trailer? 54 MBPs per device is ok for some of the things using wireless, but I do plan to work remotely. Cell connections at least here in Ontario are actually 1 Gbp/s.

I would like to know what other use or do for internet access for long term stays? As I am planning on living here, this is not simply just a vacation to enjoy the great outdoors (although I will enjoy it when I can)

Regards,
    Stephen Zylawy

2. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

I suggest that you read some of the material on the Mobile Internet Resource Center (MIRC) website. The folks who run it are good people and aren't affiliated with any specific manufacturers. As a result you can get accurate, unbiased information. IMO the problem with getting advice from forums such as this is that people post "this is how I do it" rather than giving you a broad perspective.

Some of the MIRC information is free; some requires a subscription. You can find the MIRC here: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

3. Zylawy

Zylawy
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the time to reply Joel,

The part I linked is listed on that website, however I am looking more into detail as to (if possible) to run Cat 5e or 6 within the trailer to all the TV's and the office space on the one I'm looking at purchasing. I would assume most new trailers would have this as an option but I wasn't able to get an answer from the dealer I am buying from.

If I go cellular, I can get an 802.11 AC wifi adapter for each device and get 162.5 mbps this leaves me 861.5 Mbps split per devices at 4G (minus my one machine). However if I am cabled, I can saturate the whole 1 Gbps pipe which is 1024 Mbps.

Sorry for the wealth of information but I used to work for an ISP company which also has line of sight internet.

I will reach out to my dealer and see if Ethernet can be ran within the trailer as they build it. The only thing I would need is a DMARC location within the trailer to go to a router and double NAT the firewall. This is ok as I won't be using VPN to come from the outside in, or having a server in my trailer which would need outside access.

Regards,
    Stephen Zylawy

4. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

With all due respect, I'm not sure when I've ever believed that my WiFi network was the limiting factor in my data distribution system. The speeds you can realistically expect to obtain from cellular sources in rural areas are slow enough that 802.11ac or ax won't be the limiting issue.

IMHO it is far more important to consider how use a load balancing or connection bonding router to "meld" multiple connections to obtain an adequate speed for streaming and other activities. I currently use three cellular connections plus the RV park's WiFi to support a couple of laptops, several Rokus and smartphones.

Personally I wouldn't waste time or money on wiring cable. It's easy enough to get a router that supports 802.11ax as does my new laptop.