Hwy 385

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Jimnkay2300, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Jimnkay2300

Jimnkay2300
    Expand Collapse

I am thinking about driving up Hwy 385 from Dalhart Texas all the way up to the Black Hills National Forest in South Dakota.
    1. anybody driven this highway and how was it on the hills. Should I avoid this route???
    2. Along this route is there any good suggestions on RV sites
    I will be pulling a 42-foot 20k high-profile 5th wheel.
    Any information is gladly appreciated.
    THANKS

2. Cyclonic

Cyclonic
    Expand Collapse

I have never traveled this route, so I have no details of it, but a look at the map seems to indicate that is stays to generally flat lands, so it should be easy towing for the most part until you get into the Black Hills.

Generally speaking I prefer traveling the US highways as opposed to the Interstates, they are a little bit slower and more interesting as you pass through towns rather than going around them. They do, however, take longer, but out there there is no better route either.

Tomorrow we are heading to the Hocking Hills area in OH from just west of DC. Plan to take US 50 most of the way. Should be a fun drive :)

Paythebill likes this.
  3. docj

docj
    Expand Collapse
    RVing Expert

Usually, the numbered US highways are reasonably good. I'm not sure but I think that 1 and 2-digit highways rank above 3-digit ones, but even if that is true the difference is small.

Paythebill likes this.
  4. MelindaK

MelindaK
    Expand Collapse

I have taken 385 up to Hwy 50 in Colorado that section is good and you should have no issues. When we went to the Black Hills we took Hwy 83 N went up through Canadian, TX , Scott City, KS, and jig and jagged over to Ogallala, NE.

Paythebill likes this.