Hi!

Discussion in 'Welcome to Campground Reviews' started by Kevin765, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember being able to sort the "Members List" by their registration date. Now it just goes by Alphabetical order and, since their are so many of us, it would take too long to scroll thru looking for the members that have been here the longest.

Darrell

BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  2. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

I guess many folks over the years have read my reviews?
    Your contributions have been seen and read:

Times

Paythebill likes this.
  3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

---------------------------------------------------------
    Yes Darrell that is probably true but remember, when you joined there were only roughly 37 members on board so counting and tallying was a piece of cake then. Membership is closing in on 500,000 and if it continues at the pace it has over this past year, we'll be seeing that number pop up by Memorial Day weekend perhaps...........:eek: You older folks had it easy back then, us noobies,not so much...:D

Be well and keep on keeping on, Terry..............(aka noobie BankShot)

Rollin Ollens and Paythebill like this.
  4. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I think 37 is probably close but life back then wasn't as easy as you think. I believe I was using a 80286 running DOS 6.0 and a 300 baud modem. It probably took about 10 minutes just to log on to RV Park Reviews. There were no graphics other than stick men made from text but using ANSI, we could make those stick men flash. One had to navigate just by using key strokes not the click of a mouse. So just to get to the user list and then get it to list by registration date, we had to type in C:\ format and wait about 5 minutes depending on how large your hard drive was. :)

Does anyone know what an 80286 was?

Darrell (ya, I'm old) :)

5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

If I remember correctly, the 80286 was the workhorse processors for most IBM clone pc's for a long time. The competing processor in the Apple macs, Atari ST computers and Commodore Amiga was the 68000 processor.

Before that, the 6502 processor was the leading processor in most 8-bit computers.

6. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Chris, Darrell thank you for the walk down memory lane. I had the 80286 with an amber CRT. I remember how excited I was the day I got it. Then the announcement came that the 80486 was coming to market. Can anyone say floppy disk?

BankShot and Rollin Ollens like this.
  7. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I'm not as knowledgeable as Darrell and Fitz are on PC processors, etc. but just for giggles I can remember when we had our very first PC built by a local shop. It had a whopping 250 mb hard drive, 4 mbs of RAM and a modem that made all kinds of weird but neat noises as it spent 27 minutes loading the websites and pages we wanted to see. We thought we had really arrived on our block. That was back around '86 I believe, when Darrell was driving his new 1986 Winnebago Chieftan 31RT after trading up from his 1984 Toyota pickemup truck with attached camper shell. Ah yes, them was the good old days of roughin' it for sure...............

You guys know who this is.................:p

8. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Actually, my first PC was an 8086. (I think the processor was 8 bits) I had to special order a 40 meg Hard Drive. The modem was 100 baud. The monitor was black and white. My printer was a dot matrix and the internet didn't exist! If you wanted to interact with other geeks you dialed into a Bulletin Board. The reason I ordered the 40 Mg HD was because the whole package cost me about $5000.00 and I expected it to last a long, long time. Silly me! Everything was obsolete within 6 months. I kept the PC for about a year then upgraded to the 286 because I could get a color video card but I kept the 40 meg and just added to the 80 Mg that came with the 286. I passed on the 386 and went directly to to the 486 and wow, was it fast! I can't remember the speed of the processor but compared to what we use today it would probably be equated to a snail. Ya got my first RV wrong. See the pic 1978 Dodge Adventurer SE 150 Club Cab 06 1985 Scamper 17ft Trailer_April_1987.jpg

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  9. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

You got me Darrell, I did get it wrong. Judging by what I see in the picture, it appears that Jerry enjoyed all the comforts of the trailer while you enjoyed those in the camper part of the pickemup truck..........:D While she was able to take a nice hot shower you simply grabbed the old hose and hooked it to any available water spigot. Those cold morning showers must have really got your juices flowing.................:p Love that lift up roof vent. That must have exhausted a lot of cigar smoke out That is a roof vent is in not? Or is it a wind flap that you lifted with a pull chain from inside the truck to act as a wind break to slow down when the brakes weren't doing the job? I am terrible I know buy hey, I was born that way and just never could change................:(

Safe travels to you and the boss, Terry.............(aka BankShot)

Paythebill and Rollin Ollens like this.
  10. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Sorry, but I'm about 7 months older than Weighit having been a member since 3-6-2006 I was also lurking on the website about three years before I registered, but that doesn't count. I don't remember ever having a way to search for members by registration date, but I do know of one that registered on 9-10-2003. Can anyone beat that?

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  11. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

You must have a direct line to the wife. Ya pretty much nailed it. The canopy does hold a wind defector but I did smoke a few cigars back then thus banished to the canopy. I really thought you would have picked up on the bug deflector lettering. I guess I'm just not in tune with your thoughts. :)

Darrell

12. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Not I! But I too was a lurker. Then I felt bad because I was getting so much use from the site and not giving anything back. The rest is history.

Darrell

Paythebill likes this.