Test Driving a Class A

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by mdcamping, Feb 24, 2021.

1. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Yeah its early June and already you folks are making the news with the heat out west. Last weekend I had the heat running in the house, made my last winter beef stew. Payback is coming though, starting this weekend we are in for an extended heat wave.

Same here Terry it's in my blood to do some sort of camping... "it's what I do" :p

Terry glad your back on the road for Aug have a great trip to Washington, and safe travels with the Beast! :cool:

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  2. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Got to test drive an 2018 Jayco Alante 31V today, didn't seem solid on the road but maybe it was just me or my lack of experience. One thing that was explained by the "sales" guy was it's on a 50 amp circuit, 2X A/C units with a Onan 4000 watt generator. Also included was an "Energy Management System" to load shed when on the generator... for me I see that as just another thing to go wrong.

Anyway we will probably be heading in PA in Sept for the Hershey RV show. We are still on the fence between a class A or a new trailer & truck. (let's not even talk about truck availability...)

We do like the Jayco 24RBS JAY FLIGHT and still considering the Newmar Bay Star or Bay star sport.

We have noticed lots of good deals coming mostly out of Florida on the Newmars, absolutely nothing up here in the northeast.

Mike

3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Glad to hear things are moving forward for you Mike. Choices, choices, and more choices.makes the decision process all the more complicated. Once you decide on the type and class rig you want then you have to go thru all the various makes and models, etc. I've heard lots of good things about Newmar and have in fact talked with a couple of folk on our trips who owned a Bay Star and they really liked it in terms of floor plans and amenities plus the overall build quality. Haven't heard the same for Jayco but I know they have improved from back when they first entered the Class A market. Going to the RV show will hopefully fill your head with even more choices.....o_O Whatever you decide upon I'm sure you and your co-pilot will be happy and enjoy many great trips with it down the road. All the best to you as you fumble and rumble your way thru to the end.................:)

Terry..............(aka BankShot)

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  4. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Well we just jumped off the fence as I just put in a order for a new F150 3.5L HD Ecoboost 4X4 Supercrew
    Hopefully this should get me by the next 10 yrs.

Now all we have to look for a new trailer. The Jayco Jay Flight 24 RBS looks promising, but we shall see :cool:

Mike

5. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Way to go, Mike!! Congratulations cha-Ching:)

mdcamping and BankShot like this.
  6. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

A big "ATTA BOY" to you Mike..........:D That's a great truck, I drive one myself but mine has a gas guzzling V8 that I can watch the gas gauge move quickly towards empty. My neighbor has one like yours and loves it. Next up will be the new trailer and you'll be riding high and good for years to come. Happy for you..............

Terry.............(aka BankShot)

7. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

I just put a deposit on a 2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24 RBS that just came in 2 days ago, trailer looks almost new/used few times, comes with bike rack and grill that connects to the back bumper. also has a solar hookup. I'm going to do a more detailed inspection this coming wed, hoping everything will check out!

Mike

[​IMG]

8. Onemoretrail

Onemoretrail
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Good choice. My son has a Jayco Swift 185 RBS that he has used for the past 10 years. Hope you get plenty of years out of your new RV as well.

mdcamping likes this.
  9. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Looks good Mike. I'm sure you will get many years of enjoyment out of her!

mdcamping likes this.
  10. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Truck & Trailer finally ready to go, using our yearly local camping/fishing trip as a shake down trip.

[​IMG]

Mike

11. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Nice looking rig…. Enjoy….have a great time:)

mdcamping likes this.
  12. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Don't know how I managed to miss these last posts on this thread but I just did. Great looking rig you have there Mike and ironically my neighbor across the way just bought a new 2022 Jayco that looks very similar to yours other than it is a 28 footer with two slides. They just got back a few days ago from their first shakedown trip and all went well other than some hitch problems that have since been taken care. They really like it a lot. No doubt you are going to have some fun times in your new home on wheels and I wish you safe and enjoyable travels in the months ahead. Truck ain't too shabby either.........:D

Happy trails ahead, Terry.............(aka BankShot)

13. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Looks great...right down to the color combination of the Rig and Tow! Looks like there is plenty of room for the pups! Enjoy!

BankShot, mdcamping and Paythebill like this.