The importance of live entertainment at a campground

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Bdawson, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Bdawson

Bdawson
    Expand Collapse

Hey there.
    I recently assumed the title of GM at our campground. We're open 22 weekends a season and this we brought in 11 bands as entertainment (roughly $600 per band). It was overwhelmingly received but I do have seasonal renters questioning the cost vs the need. Anybody else have experience with live music? How important is it to your activities schedule?
    Thanks in advance for any input.

2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

We avoid parks with live music or other entertainment unless it's confined to a community center or other inside venue where it doesn't disturb campers that favor peace and quiet.

3. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

Feel the same way, we would not go to a campground with live music. In the past the loud music echos throughout the campground, not what we want.

4. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Everyone has their own respective ways to go RVing or camping but for us when we go camping we look to stay at RV parks that are not "party parks". Live music, as NY Dutch pointed out above, if offered, should be confined to an indoor venue and not performed live outdoors where it will distract and annoy others who want peace, quiet, and evening socializing done to the tune of a nice glass of wine, etc. We would not reserve space in a park or campground that offered live music, especially in the evening hours around an outdoor fire and barbecue, etc. where the participants would no doubt be drinking their beverages of choice and possibly becoming loud and rowdy after one too many. Your choice as to how you wish to run your campground. I hope whatever you decide works out for you and your guests...........all of them.............:)

BankShot................(aka Terry)

Pete-k, Paythebill and Rollin Ollens like this.
  5. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I agree with the other posters, at best, you will only appeal to a small majority of your guests with live music. The others either wont like the music choice, or wont like the noise.

An exception might be if you bring in "camper dancer" square dance group to entertain and show your guests how to square dance. Maybe live band kareoke also.

Paythebill likes this.
  6. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I echo the above posts. If I read a review of any park that would advertise live music or even piped in music I would avoid it completely. Party parks are not for me.

Darrell

Pete-k, Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  7. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

I think a bit more information is needed before you can get the answers you need. What type of park is it? It sounds like a seasonal park. Is it a destination itself, or is it just a convenient location for local attractions. How big is it and what effect does $600.00 make on budget? Does the music interfere with other activities or is it conducted at a location and time where the sound doesn't really bother others? What is the attendance like? Do you get only a few attendees or does a large number of people show?
    You are going to get complaints no matter what you do. If you stop it, people who enjoyed it will complain. You are already getting complaints from those who don't attend. It is really all about expectations. If people rent at the park expecting entertainment, activities and the like you probably need to continue. If the renters are there to go to the beach, or commune with nature, or be close to Disneyland you likely are wasting money.

8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

We don't seek out parks for live entertainment, that said the last park we stayed at had a live band going as we could here the music very well. wasn't a issue for us as the band finished at the posted quiet time so we were good for the few hrs of music. The park we stayed at was located in a scenic contry type area with not much attractions around. Campground had a large seasonal presence along with lots of transients.( maybe 50/50) We have stayed several times because of the rail trails in the area and the campground has a good review reputation.

When we were younger and traveled with our kids we looked for the resort type places and having live entertainment would alway be a bonus.

Mike

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  9. caheaton

caheaton
    Expand Collapse

I camp to enjoy the outdoors and nature. I would never stay at a park or campground that features live music or other type of planned activities (short of nature hikes or similar activities).

Pete-k, Paythebill and Rollin Ollens like this.
  10. cerih

cerih
    Expand Collapse

I think that the advantage of camping is just the lack of noise. There are discos and bars or festivals for that

weighit and Paythebill like this.