Rving Cats

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Texasrvers, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

SEP,

I'm glad to hear that you will not be leaving one of your family members behind when you travel. We have always enjoyed taking our pets with us. We have had both dogs and cats, but right now we are down to just one cat.

I'm assuming your new motorhome will have a shower. That's where we keep our cat's litter box. Look back at post #13 in this thread where I explain about our situation. Actually this whole thread has some good tips for traveling with pets, so if you haven't done so I'd recommend you read all the previous posts here. And please feel free to ask other questions if you need to. I'm sure one member or another will be able to help you.

2. dalsgal

dalsgal
    Expand Collapse

We full time with 3 cats. The oldest one is deaf and had never had a collar on him. We put one on and a leash and he loves being hooked up outside in the fresh air. He was severely abused when we got him (broken hips, nose and probably ribs) and had also been attacked by dogs because he can't hear. Our other two we got when they were kittens and immediately put on leashes. They all love to go for walks. When we took over managing this campground we were required to move into a small house on the property. The two youngest had never even been inside a house before and they freaked out. They adjusted in a few days but still go out daily on their leashes and get hooked up so they can get fresh air.

3. telm59

telm59
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Sep 23 2007, 04:57 PM) [snapback]8420[/snapback]

I have a cat, and kitty was 6 when I got my first RV. The first trip with kitty was traumatic. I think kitty thought I was going to dump him somewhere! My cat is normally aloof and "I'll let you pet me when I feel like it" kind of cat. Well, during the first trip, he kept trying to get on my lap while I was driving on a winding road through mountains! During the whole trip, he was cuddle cuddle cuddle (not normal for my cat!), and "Whatever I did wrong, I'll change.... etc."

I finally just told kitty that I wanted to have him with me, that's why the RV, so he wouldn't be alone in an empty house with a pet sitter that came by for five minutes a day. (But I did have an excellent pet sitter!)

Now, kitty knows the drill. He heads straight for the bed and buries himself. If I'm travelling mostly on freeway, I'll let him hang out in the bed. But if I'm going to travel a lot on any type of winding road, I'll crate him (so he won't poop and barf all over the place). There's been many times I let him hang out in the bed only to have to find a place with laundry facilities so that *I* could have clean sheets to sleep in, after kitty got carsick.

JJ

my husband and i have 2 cats...one's a 'hider' and the other lies on the bed or couch....no matter how long the trip....once we've parked....they are as laid back as ever...both housecats...never try to get out...but love watching them when they smell campfires...their little noses are going a hundred miles a second....as i've said...once we've parked....they are as comfortable as possible....

4. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(telm59 @ Oct 20 2009, 04:21 PM) [snapback]19623[/snapback]

my husband and i have 2 cats...one's a 'hider' and the other lies on the bed or couch....no matter how long the trip....once we've parked....they are as laid back as ever...both housecats...never try to get out...but love watching them when they smell campfires...their little noses are going a hundred miles a second....as i've said...once we've parked....they are as comfortable as possible....

You have described our cats to a T. The two we no longer have rode on the couch or bed in our motorhome. The one we still have is the hider until he hears the slides go out and then he is right at home.

Just a word of caution to anyone who travels with pets and whose RV has slides. Be sure you know where your pets are before moving the slide(s) in or out. We have never had a bad incident, but we were told about a cat getting caught behind a slide. To keep our cats from getting behind the slides when they are pulled in we stuff pool noodles in the cracks. They are light to carry; they mold to the opening; they store easily; and are inexpensive. Works great.

5. Gingerbred

Gingerbred
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(SEP @ Oct 20 2009, 02:19 PM) [snapback]19620[/snapback]

Hi all :) I'm from the UK and we are doing a little (actually there's quite a lot needed!) research before we buy our first motorhome. We are thinking of one which is about 24' which I know on the whole motorhomes are much smaller than RVs so this was my main concern: the moggy.
    We are planning a trip up to a year but will have to take the cat with us. He is a fabulously mischeivous British Blue with a face like he ran into a brick wall, but we love him dearly and couldn't leave him.
    I don't think we'd risk letting him out of his basket while we are on the move, only when we have parked. But from reading the posts all your cats have been on leads and have responded well, as well as being inside for many hours while out sight seeing?
    My other concern is the litter tray in this small space and how it's been dealt with.

Any tips, tricks and reassurances would be appreciated!

Our cat rides in the van (tow vehicle) in her carry-case, with us. When we get where we're going we carry her to the TT (travel trailer) and let her out. She has her familiar litter pan and her dishes from home. She's an indoor cat so stays inside when we're camping. She doesn't mind being left alone for long periods of time. We're seldom gone from the TT for more than a few hours. All cats are different. Some hate traveling and will not adapt. Those should he left with a friend or boarded when you travel.

6. nicki

nicki
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Eric&Rita @ Feb 23 2007, 08:52 PM) [snapback]6204[/snapback]

We have a pot-bellied pig and a bird, and we also bought the RV for them to travel with us. The pig is a real challenge to get in and out of the bus. A 7 foot ramp had to be modifed a few times, added rubber slats so he could get a grip and he still has trouble going up. It's all worth it for the looks and conversation a pig starts. The pigs name is Frank Pignatra and he's almost 2 years old. Our bird is a Golden Capped Conure and is about 16 years old and my little sweetheart. It's definitely a lot of work and trouble to take your pets along, but we couldn't see any other solution if we were going to travel. Sometimes I wish we had just got a small dog like everyone else, but then we wouldn't be who we are. :D We love our pets.

Just wondering about the pig--my daughter is getting a miniature pig for Christmas and it never occurred to me to take him camping with us. We have somewhere to leave him when we do go camping, but just in case we decide to try to take him w/us, I was wondering--do you mention to the CG owner that you have a pig? If so, what are the reactions? Have you ever not been allowed at a CG because of your pig? Does he affect your ability to go out sightseeing? Just wondering...thanks!

7. SEP

SEP
    Expand Collapse

I think what we should do is rent one out and test him out on it. I guess as mentioned some hate it fullstop but some can live with it and adapt, hope he's like this.
    Maybe we should provide something larger than the typical basket one would use to take him to the vets. At least he would be able to curl up to sleep during our long journeys, again space is key.
    Have watched some amusing youtube videos of cats in harnesses being walked. I just find the concept of controlling cats with scepticism. Cats will sit when you want them to walk and walk when you want them to sit. It's the people who hate cats and lengths they go to try and protect their gardens from cats which amuses me. Cats can get anywhere.
    Anyways we will hire a motorhome, get him a harness and lease and see how it all goes. Will report back soon!

8. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

We have been fulltiming for 6 1/2 years. When we started out we had my old cat Mikey who was 17 yo at the time. He adapted to the harness and leash right away but didn't travel in the truck well. He mostly hid under the back seat on the floor. He was with us for 9 months and adapted to the lifestyle well. He died in Alamo Texas on Christmas day 2003. We then got the other cat Casey that didn't do well with Mikey so Mjs brother had him. He was about 7 or 8 and did pretty good on the traveling and he had been used to a harness and leash so it was no problem. He was the one that taught me about how far to go each day. After about 100 miles he would start wanting to know if we were there yet. The farther after 100 miles we went the more vocal he got. We lost him in to diabetes Gardner Maine in 2006 but I still don't travel much more than 150 miles a day anymore. Well, maybe 200 if I'm in a hurry. In May 2007 I went into a petsmart to just look at the kitties and we had talked about getting two if we got another cat. Of course the kitty gods were working overtime and there were two orange tabbies that were twin brothers and had to be adopted together that were about two years old. They have been the best cats for this lifestyle. When we travel they go into their carrier and are put in the back seat of the truck and sleep until we get where we are stopping. They both walk on a harness and a leash but I have learned not to take them both out at the same time as they will not go in the same direction. We have seen a lot of people with cats in our travels and it isn't that unusual to see one on a leash.

9. olivercamper

olivercamper
    Expand Collapse

We have two cats that are leash trained and love to go camping! Leash training can be done with love and patience....our cats learned the only way they were going outside was on a leash and they love it!

10. WhyFly?

WhyFly?
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Eric&Rita @ Feb 23 2007, 10:52 PM) [snapback]6204[/snapback]

We have a pot-bellied pig and a bird, and we also bought the RV for them to travel with us. The pig is a real challenge to get in and out of the bus. A 7 foot ramp had to be modifed a few times, added rubber slats so he could get a grip and he still has trouble going up. It's all worth it for the looks and conversation a pig starts. The pigs name is Frank Pignatra and he's almost 2 years old. Our bird is a Golden Capped Conure and is about 16 years old and my little sweetheart. It's definitely a lot of work and trouble to take your pets along, but we couldn't see any other solution if we were going to travel. Sometimes I wish we had just got a small dog like everyone else, but then we wouldn't be who we are. :D We love our pets.

Hi, we also have a pot bellied pig we'd like to take with us in our RV. Do you have trouble finding campgrounds that allow it? It seems many people are uneducated when it comes to pot-bellied pigs as pets and think that they are exotic or farm animals and don't allow them on the campgrounds. Meanwhile, they are clean, intelligent pets. We also got the 7 foot ramp and are in the midst of training. Can you advise of your camping experiences with your piggie? Thx!

11. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

whyfly,

I sincerely hope you get a reply to your post, but I would like to point out that the topic is pretty old, and the member who talked about their pot bellied pig has not been active for a while so they may not see your post.

But welcome to the forum, and maybe someone will be able to help you.

12. TrailerParkBoys

TrailerParkBoys
    Expand Collapse

13. DXSMac

DXSMac
    Expand Collapse

Well, since this topic has been revived, I have traveled with a cat since I started RV'ing. At first my cat did not like it. He would poop, piddle, or barf during the travel. He has gotten better, but if I'm on a winding road, he has problems.

My cat is now 15, and as of the last vet exam, he is now starting the slow descent into being CRF. Cats can still live one or a few years being CRF (renal failure). The vet said either he has to come to the vet once a week for fluids, or you sprinkle something called EPAKITIN on it's food. EPAKITIN supposedly slows down the CRF progression by causing the cat to not absorb something or whatever.....

I'm steeling myself for the eventual...... and being thankful for each day it's still alive and doing fine.

14. nedmtnman

nedmtnman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jul 2 2013, 08:31 AM) [snapback]34008[/snapback]

Well, since this topic has been revived, I have traveled with a cat since I started RV'ing. At first my cat did not like it. He would poop, piddle, or barf during the travel. He has gotten better, but if I'm on a winding road, he has problems.

My cat is now 15, and as of the last vet exam, he is now starting the slow descent into being CRF. Cats can still live one or a few years being CRF (renal failure). The vet said either he has to come to the vet once a week for fluids, or you sprinkle something called EPAKITIN on it's food. EPAKITIN supposedly slows down the CRF progression by causing the cat to not absorb something or whatever.....

I'm steeling myself for the eventual...... and being thankful for each day it's still alive and doing fine.

When we started fulltiming 10 years ago I had my cat Mikey that was 16 at the time and we lost him to Renal Kidney Failure in the Rio Grande Valley. That was a tough loss but he went pretty quick once it started. I hope your kitty does a lot better. In 10 years we have only been catless for 9 months. After Mikey we got Mj's cat Casey back and he died in Maine from diabetes. We now have Bill and Bob who are 8 ( got them when they were 2 ) and travel great. The love the different places we go ( most of the time ).

15. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

QUOTE(DXSMac @ Jul 2 2013, 10:31 AM) [snapback]34008[/snapback]

My cat is now 15,

JJ, I was so glad to hear that you still have your kitty. We still have our 15 year old also--soon to be 16. He gave us a scare about this time last year. He lost a lot of weight, but the vet never really found anything wrong. She said his stats weren't just good for a cat his age. they were good for any age cat. He lost about 3 1/2 pounds in 2 months before he leveled off, and he has not put it back on even though he eats well. The vet said she thinks he just lost muscle mass because of his age, and foruntately he has been fine since then.

A few years ago we "met" a cat in a shop in Albuquerque that lived to 21 years old. Hope both of ours will do that well.

16. jkramer48

jkramer48
    Expand Collapse

We are fulltime RVers, and have a cat who travels with us. When he was almost a year old, we decided to sell our home and start exploring the USA when we retired. Knowing our cat couldn't be outside with us, unless on a leash, I decided to train him to walk with a harness/leash. I found one made especially for cats at a Petco store. It took time (about a month) and patience to train him, and lots of treats and praise. You just have to be calm, use very short sessions, and don't give up. I started by dangling the leash, and letting him play with it, then moved on to putting the harness on him, eventually hooking the two up and taking him outside. It helps if you let the cat go where they please at first until they get used to it. Eventually, I progressed to using commands, and our cat does well most days.
    We found a mesh tent, about 6 foot square with a domed top, it folds up compactly, almost like an umbrella, that is made for cats. Ordered it from Amazon.com, and I put a rug inside for him, small litter box, toys, and a small cat tree. He spends hours outside in his tent, enjoys being close to us.
    Our cat loves camping, is good when we are gone sightseeing, as long as he has views from the windows, his toys to play with, and lots of attention when we are home.
    Recently, we started taking him with us in our Jeep Wrangler for a few hours. He is gradually getting used to this much smaller ride. We stop every hour or so, take him out for a walk and play time, and of course his toys and food, litter box come along.
    From what we have seen in our 1st year as full timers, cats are definitely much easier than dogs, less work, and quieter. Although we have met other couples with cats, only a few brought their cats outdoors with them, as they didn't think a cat could be trained to a leash.