Wilderness thermostat wiring

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Hunter6855, Nov 15, 2021.

1. Hunter6855

Hunter6855
    Expand Collapse

Can anyone please help with wilderness thermostat wiring

2. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Can you identify the manufacturer of your existing thermostat? It could be made by Honeywell, Dometic or there a few other brands out there as well. Once you have that info you can google to find a wiring diagram.

Darrell

3. Hunter6855

Hunter6855
    Expand Collapse

I currently am using the RV Comfort HC and replacing it with a Honeywell Focus pro 5000. My issue is, I have a brown cased thermostat wire with, black, brown, red, white and green, the red wire in this bunch isn't currently being used. I have another set of 2 wires that are red and white and are a much smaller gauge, these 2 wires are currently hooked up to the red and white of the RV Comfort HC.

4. Hunter6855

Hunter6855
    Expand Collapse

Im wondering why the red in the brown cased thermostat wire isn't being used because red usually would go to the R or RC ( power ). My single 12 volt battery is no longer any good, it's been this way for some time, I always plug in when I'm camping, either to 30 amp household or generator so really no need for the battery. This is my current hookup and everything is working fine, I just don't know how to switch over to the new thermostat being that it's really not an RV thermostat

Attached Files:

5. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Well sir, I am afraid your issue is over my head. I'm usually pretty good with wiring as long as I have a diagram that reflects the product I am working with. I googled the owner's manual for your presntly used Thermostat. It does show a Wiring Diagram but sadly does not list the wire colors. For whst it's worth this is the link.https://old.rvcomfort.com/rvp/pdf_documents/1976659.pdf I didn't bother looking up your new Thermostat because not knowing info on the old one doesn't help with the new one. Sorry. I hope pne of our other users will be able to offer more help than me.

Darrell

6. Hunter6855

Hunter6855
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for looking into it, I really appreciate it. There is some other info, here is the diagram of my current thermostat and you can see from the pics I posted that the wire colors on the stat don't all go to the same colors on the thermostat wire. For instance, like the yellow wire from the stat it's supposed to be the air conditioning I believe but if you look at the pics the yellow wire goes to a black wire in the thermostat wire but I'm willing to guess if I took the cover off the AC unit inside they probably changed the yellow wire to a black wire because everything works fine, I'm just kind of afraid to hook it up in fear of damaging something. Really I guess my only concerns are the hot wire, if the thermostat is run off of its own batteries does it even need to have a hot this is what confuses me.

Attached Files:

7. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Wow. Your situation sounds a bit hairy. Can you not use a test meter to check the sources? I have run into similar situations on my Winnebgo Motorhome. For what ever reason (I think a cost saving measure) a lot of the 12 V wiring is not colored. It's all white. I have not been in a situation where I have not been able to identify uses yet, but it does make life interesting trying to decypher what wire does what. Just an FYI. Black is normally considered a HOT lead, White is neutral and Green ground. (Not trying to be facetious. Just want to make you aware in case you are not) The company that built the cooling unit is not the same as the one that designed the switching. That sequence may just be correct as your thermostat could have been engineered to run multiple heat or cooling units at once. You should have the wiring digram for the furnce and the cooler in order to make sure you get it right.

Good luck and again, I hope someone in our forum has performed what you are attempting and can help.

Darrell

8. Hunter6855

Hunter6855
    Expand Collapse

Thanks again, yeah it's definitely confusing and yeah I'll look into the wire schematics of the air conditioner and heater to make sure before doing anything. Tried calling an RV dealer but nobody calls back. Maybe an HVAC guy would know what to do since they deal with thermostats often. Anyway I really appreciate your input. Thanks again and have a good day.
    Sean

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  9. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

After rethinking this, to many variables here. as you mentioned I would get a hands on HVAC tech. IMO

Good luck
    Mike

#9 mdcamping, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    Rollin Ollens likes this.