Morro Bay Ca

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by bccamper, Feb 23, 2007.

1. bccamper

bccamper
    Expand Collapse

Anybody out there have some good campgrounds, things to do in the Morro Bay Area.

2. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

We have stayed at Rancho Colina just outside Morro Bay. We use this as a base camp, nothing to do in the RV park, but it is very clean reasonable rates and friendly staff. You do however have to drive into town. Morro Dunes is right on the Beach but is really in my opinion a very big parking lot, only stayed there once and it wasn't bad, many more things to do, esp if you have kids. During the summer can get very crowded.

As always just my opinion,

3. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

We have stayed at Morro Dunes a couple times. Right off the beach. I would give it a 7 or 8. The state park is pretty nice. they just did some serious remodeling with in the last couple years.
    I would recommed a visit to Hearst Castle while you are in the are. Very cool.

4. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Big Ben @ Mar 2 2007, 12:11 PM) [snapback]6329[/snapback]

We have stayed at Morro Dunes a couple times. Right off the beach. I would give it a 7 or 8. The state park is pretty nice. they just did some serious remodeling with in the last couple years.

Is Morro Dunes a pretty nice place. Like I had stated it has been quite awhile since we were there. From what I can remember it was pretty tight when I had a tent trailer, now I'm haulin around a 35'er. So needless to say it's been 7 or 8 years since we have been there. I also have 2 labs that travel with us.

5. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

Rodman, there are some site that were small. It may depend on what you ar camping in. It is nice for the dogs because you can go out the gate and you are on a dog friendly beach.
    The moderator on the Good Sam full time forum is the Host at the state park. If I were to go over there now that is where I would stay.

6. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

Outstanding. They seem to get mixed reviews and like I said it's been years since we have been there. We are in a 35' TT now and my dogs love the beach, it's just real hard to find dog friendly beaches. Looks like we are going to be going in a couple of weeks. Thanks Big Ben

7. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

Rodman, if you don't want to stay there that is a public road in behind there so you could drive back to the dunes with the dogs. Just another option.

8. bccamper

bccamper
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(rodman @ Mar 2 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]6330[/snapback]

QUOTE(Big Ben @ Mar 2 2007, 12:11 PM) [snapback]6329[/snapback]

Is Morro Dunes a pretty nice place. Like I had stated it has been quite awhile since we were there. From what I can remember it was pretty tight when I had a tent trailer, now I'm haulin around a 35'er. So needless to say it's been 7 or 8 years since we have been there. I also have 2 labs that travel with us.

9. gwbischoff

gwbischoff
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(Big Ben @ Mar 3 2007, 12:32 AM) [snapback]6343[/snapback]

Rodman, if you don't want to stay there that is a public road in behind there so you could drive back to the dunes with the dogs. Just another option.

Morro Dunes is cool. We have a 35'er w/2 slides and we needed every inch of it. But, we were pointed right a Morro Rock and the kids had a blast on the beach.

Someone wrote a review about some sewage smell but we had no problems.

WiFi signal was the best we've encountered and we were down at the far end of the park. Office folks are nice. I'd definately go there again.

10. jperera

jperera
    Expand Collapse

We stayed at Morro Bay State Park and enjoyed that. We have not been there since it was redone and it looks like some of the sites are longer. Just looking at the ReserveAmerica site, there are still sites available.

I second the opinion about Hearst Castle. Also, we enjoyed the little town of Cambria and just enjoying the coast.

11. rodman

rodman
    Expand Collapse

We are going out the end of next month. I think I will give Morro Dunes a try after hearing this. If you do stay anywhere in the area and want a great steak go to Oceano and go to Roco's. My daughter and her friends would drive all the way from Santa Barbara just to go there and when they are in the area they never miss it.

Just my opinion,

12. Scott and Kathy

Scott and Kathy
    Expand Collapse

There is also a fairly new park Morro Strand. It is on the same street that the Morro Dunes is on, just a few more steps to the beach. It is getting pretty positive reviews, I think for a big rig it is a much easier in and out.