Interesting Observation

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by weighit, Dec 20, 2021.

1. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

In my motorhome the CO detector was not operational, no green light. Pulled it out and found a loose wire, probably pulled loose by the past owner? So hooked it up and the thing started beeping loudly. Would not quit, so unplugged it and ordered a replacement. Ours was mounted about 4 inches off the floor in a hallway. Went to the CO site and they say carbon monoxide is lighter than air, and shouild be mounted high near the ceiling. Why are the rv manufacturers installing them at your feet? I will be purchasing a new extra unit and installing where it should be. Where is yours installed?

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We have two CO detectors in our Class A coach. One up front, the other in the bedroom. Both are ceiling mounted. Never mount one down near the floor................:eek:

BankShot......(aka Terry)

3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Both our factory and aftermarket CO detectors are mounted near the ceiling. The combination CO/LP detectors are often mounted low since LP is heavier than air. CO is very slightly lighter than air and tends to rise since it's typically generated by a heat source, but it also spreads wider than LP. I suppose the lower location was chosen for the combination units due to the explosion potential of leaking LP. Personally, I always install separate units in their preferred locations rather than combo units.

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  4. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Our coach has a factory CO/LP gas detector mounted low in the center of the coach. We replaced our two Smoke Detectors with dual use Smoke and CO of course mounted on the ceiling. Better to be safe than sorry.

NYDutch likes this.
  5. leaf peeper

leaf peeper
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Are you sure it was a CO detector? It does no good to have a CO detector near ground level since CO is lighter than air. In both our Bounder & Phaeton, the LP detectors were installed low (both had a solid green light). The CO detectors installed about 5ft off the floor (had a green blinking light) near the bedroom.

6. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

According to our Owner's Manual and a lot of other info out there. It was common, back in the day, to install the detector near the floor. Check out the video.
    Darrell

7. 1999Discovery

1999Discovery
    Expand Collapse

My brand new 2022 Rockwood GeoPro 19FBS has a CO/Propane on the floor under the refrigerator. Makes no sense with a smoke detector on the ceiling. Why didn’t they put the CO/Smoke detector on the ceiling?

8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

My co/propane detector is located at floor level, it is what it is :)

Mike

9. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

The factory installed CO/Propane detector in our motorhome is also at floor level, but the two CO detectors I installed are mounted near the ceiling in the front and back.

1999Discovery likes this.
  10. 1999Discovery

1999Discovery
    Expand Collapse

You need to install a dual CO/Smoke detector where your current smoke detector is on the ceiling. It will only take a couple deaths for RV manufacturers to sort this out and fix it.

11. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

actually I had ordered a exact replacement co/propane last fall as the old one died, It's going right back in the same spot and I do have a ceiling smoke detector
    Mike

#11 mdcamping, Jan 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    1999Discovery likes this.
  12. daltonbourne

daltonbourne
    Expand Collapse
    Traveling

this First Alert's carbon monoxide detector becomes one of the best bargains available I had. Its silence feature was another aspect to catch my attention. It’ll ensure you can silence any unwanted alarms, such as when its battery needs replacement. There’s no reason to believe it’ll become an unneeded annoyance inside your rig.