Question about Wi-Fi for fellow reviewers

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Bluesbirdy, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Bluesbirdy

Bluesbirdy
    Expand Collapse

Hello to all fellow reviewers!

Would it be possible to write about campground provided internet quality in your next reviews?

As I am from Europe (camping during vacations in the USA, like many Europeans do), I am solely dependent on Wi-Fi for internet and social connections, because roaming data on 4G is not a good option for non-US residents.

So if you have the opportunity to check the Wi-Fi at campgrounds, that would be great!
    Or ask the Cruise America / Road Bear / El Monte campers ;-)

Thank you!

2. garmp

garmp
    Expand Collapse

I would also find it helpful if when wifi is listed as available, where it is available. The entire campground, near shower houses, the office or store only, etc.

Paythebill likes this.
  3. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I don't think too many reviewers are going to map the WiFi coverage for the parks they visit. Maybe listing where they used it would help create a pattern over time though.

4. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

There can be huge differences in the strength within a given rv park. I have been very close to the repeating tower and got low wifi strength where a person on the other side of the park gets good strength. I have resorted to having my own hot spot with my phones, as I know that is a better connections most of the time.

5. Mark Moorman

Mark Moorman
    Expand Collapse

All too often being right next to the park’s access point shows a great connection, only to find out everyone in the park is streaming TV using up the available bandwidth, and causing lots of delays for the general user.

On my last rig I ditched the satellite and replaced it with a Winegard 360. Best move of my RV career. Sold the big rig and bought 5th wheel and immediately added one to it. Got an AT&T SIM card and for $60 month I always have internet as long as AT&T service is available. If not, it has high gain antennas on the roof to connect to the RV park’s WiFi as backup.

6. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

At the park we're in right now the nearest AT&T tower is about 12 miles away and there's no park WiFi. Fortunately, we have both AT&T and Verizon service, and the Verizon tower is only about 8 miles away and our MIMO antenna setup and Netgear hotspot pick it up well enough for general surfing and streaming services like Netflix, etc. We've been many places where one or the other service was good, and sometimes both, and having both has kept us connected everywhere we've gone so far. Our satellite TV service works fine here of course...

Paythebill likes this.