Advise on our 1ST trip

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by Jimmymont, Feb 18, 2022.

1. Jimmymont

Jimmymont
    Expand Collapse

Just bought a 5th wheel and new to the RV world. I was wondering if I could have some advise on how ambitious we should be and what to expect on our first trip.

2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Hi and welcome to the forum. Have you had some experience in towing a 5th wheel? if you haven't you should take the time to either go thru an RV driver's training program or find a large parking lot where you can do some practice before going out on the open road. If you have experience you should have learned early on that driving and handling any large RV is a totally different animal than driving your family car or truck. RVs don't accelerate or stop anywhere close to what a car does. Next thing is that many drivers of smaller vehicles don't care much about you and don't want you anywhere near them so they will cut you off to get around you or mess with you when entering a highway on an on ramp or trying to change lanes to get off at one. Not always on purpose but just out of ignorance of not knowing about RVs and how they work, etc. And don't be surprised to have a few of them give you the famous one finger salute as they whiz by you after following you on a two lane road with traffic for a few miles. Be cautious at all times! Be alert as to what's happening not just close to you but also to what's going on a ways up ahead. It will all fall into place as you do learn all the basics but still you should always remember you are the pilot of a cruise ship and not a speedboat. Ask questions of other RVers you come in contact with. Get to know you RV inside and out as there is a lot to learn and so many things to keep track of at all times. I am taking up some space here I know and others will jump in with lots of other good information so I'll close in saying that RVing is a great experience. It can be frustrating at times but overall it can also be life rewarding. Don't hesitate to ask questions at anytime they pop up. This is a friendly and very helpful forum with many very knowledgeable folks here to lend a hand when needed. Enjoy your new RV and keep us posted on your travels by making sure to use the reviews side of this site to post about the places you do visit and spend time at....:D

Safe and happy travels ahead, BankShot............(aka Terry)

Paythebill, garmp and Jimmymont like this.
  3. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

On your first trip, try camping as close to home as possible. That way, if something goes wrong or you forget something, its not a big deal.

Also, the RV life is a little slower pace than when you might have taken road trips in just a car. Instead of driving all day and night and as fast as you can to get to your destination, take your time, slow down, and arrive at your next RV park before dinner. This way, you will have time to set up (with sunlight), make dinner, and spend the evening relaxing. Slowing down on the highway will save on gas too! Most RVers drive 200-400 miles in a day.

Regards,
    Chris G.

Paythebill and weighit like this.
  4. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Well done Terry! My reply was very terse simply because my short stubby fingers don't do well until I have had at least one cup of joe plus, the wifi signal I'm picking out here in the boonies of Yuma is faint in the morning for some reason. Your reply covers so much more than my basic. It's a good thing you are around to cover our butts!! :)

Paythebill likes this.
  5. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

When we switched from a travel trailer to a long 5th wheel and large truck, we hired a driving instructor for a day to give us pointers to help us keep the sides in place on the 5th wheel when making turns. I knew that the new trailer cut corners but had no idea how much till the instructer laid out cones and i ran over all of them! That new to us 5th wheel was NOTHING like driving the trailer to a campground. Then we learned to slow down and enjoy the trip. I'm sure you will learn everyday you take it out. Enjoy the ride. Others here have given some very useful information.