How for do you travel in one day?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by Travelinbandman, Jul 11, 2020.

1. garmp

garmp
    Expand Collapse

We like to go by the 2, 2, 2 rule. Try not to drive more than 200 miles a day, don't drive 2 days in a row, unless necessary, and arrive by 2pm. This is the most critical one, cause 2pm is cocktail hour. One has got to rest & relax! After all that's why we retired.

2. TraceyCornish

TraceyCornish
    Expand Collapse

We usually drive about 250 miles a day. If we go more, we won't have time to relax and enjoy nature.

3. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

I used to do 600-800 miles in a day in my Class A but now I figure 400 miles a day max and I usually add in an extra day to the trip as well so we can stop early a couple days or see something on the way. I do not have reservations other than the destination parks the rest of the time we find a park or use a rest area or Walmart.

Paythebill likes this.
  4. jikasas33

jikasas33
    Expand Collapse

We are definitely searching forward to this journey after a manner too lengthy dry spell sitting at the launch pad. Hope you and your circle of relatives are all in appropriate fitness and playing a while on the street additionally. I plan on blending up a massive batch of margaritas

5. Kevin765

Kevin765
    Expand Collapse

This is a good piece of advice, I'll keep it in mind. Thansk!

6. klarkwhite

klarkwhite
    Expand Collapse

Looks great, thanks for helping guys!

7. Tbx2

Tbx2
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone have any suggestions for mapping a trip from southeast Missouri to key west Florida. Rv traveling virgins so we are open to suggestions

8. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Since it is our product, I have to mention RV Trip Wizard. It does require a yearly fee, but it is a great program for mapping out routes and finding RV parks along that route. There is a 7 day trial if you would like to try it first. Just go to https://www.rvtripwizard.com/

Paythebill likes this.
  9. Paxdiver

Paxdiver
    Expand Collapse

I follow the 3/3/3 rule. 300 miles, arrive 3 pm, stay 3 days min.

10. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Sorry Bankshot, we usually also remove posts that refer to a deleted post, but I somehow missed doing that this time. Now that your post has been replied to, I have removed all those posts following the deleted post, but I will leave this one up for a short time so that others who saw these posts will know what happened.

As for your marbles, that's still questionable.:D

11. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

No problem Texasrvers. I had also reported that post but after Darrell had evidently already done so. I have tried to not reply to posts such as this but this time I couldn't stop myself. Just gets old having these numbnut spammers joining and then posting crap like that. Thankfully they don't stay up very long as you folks are on the ball and get them deleted pretty fast. Onward from here............

Regards, Terry.............(aka BankShot)

12. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

You folks are on the ball too by reporting them as quickly as you do. Thanks for your help.

13. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Just a polite suggestion, If this problem gets worse, maybe consider having new member posts get screened before they are posted on the forum, like something similar to how new members reviews were screened in the past.

Mike

Paythebill and BankShot like this.
  14. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Good thinking Mike, excellent suggestion. Seems that lately there have been more and more of these spam type posts coming from new members and their very first post. Surely there is a way that the programmers can set up a screening process whereby a first post will be "captured" and read before it is allowed to be posted on the forum............???

Hope all is well with you and family, Terry.............(aka BankShot)

Paythebill likes this.
  15. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thanks for your input. I'll pass along your suggestions.

Paythebill likes this.
  16. VW_Vista

VW_Vista
    Expand Collapse

Wife and I both still work full time and only have a week or sometimes 2 for a longer RV vacation. We also live in St. Louis Mizzery, so that means it's at least a 2-day drive to get anywhere worth going.

Typically our 1st 2 days, and last 2 days of the trip we are just trying to put as many miles behind us as fast as possible. 500-600 miles per day is about my limit now before getting delirious. Once we're in the neighborhood of where we want to be, we try to keep things between 100-200 miles per day, preferably closer to no more than 150 so that we have time to stop and see the sights, do an activity, etc and not have to be up the crack of dawn (this is supposed to be vacation, right?) but still get to a campground before supper time.
    Years ago we would just take off and wing it with no reservations and no concerns over campground availability. over the last 3 years or so that has become nearly untenable with crowds, crowding, and COVID closures. and we try to book ahead as much as possible which is a radical change to our travel style and has been difficult. As a result we've wound up in more KOA's in the last 2 years than the last 20 combined since they have an easy App and easy after-hours registration with usually enough sites held back for transient travelers like us.

Paythebill and Travelinbandman like this.
  17. VW_Vista

VW_Vista
    Expand Collapse

"Hey Garmin navigate to Key West Florida"

I mean, we're gonna need more details mate. otherwise just follow the interstates.

18. vakesef329

vakesef329
    Expand Collapse

woaaw I am impressed after reading this..

19. Claudia Go

Claudia Go
    Expand Collapse

Obviously this is a very individual preference. We have been RVing for 9 years now and mainly stick to east coast and NC to TX. This summer however we are going from NC to NV. Day one we will be driving 12-13hr (with my husband and I taking alternating 3hr shifts). This is just to get as far away from the east coast as quickly as possible. After the first day our longest day is 5 hours and that is on the way back. so we will average about 3-4 hrs. We have the advantage of having two experienced drivers and knowing our limits. It really is up to you.

20. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

very true! it seems that the first afternoon leaving our home state, we generally push the limits of driving. we will generally drive 5-6 hours that first day, arrive late in a walmart parking lot, or some other boondocking location and just stop to get sleep. the following days will be limited to about 6 hours driving, 3 in the morning, 3 in the afternoon.

your stats are quite a bit more than that, but if you are comfortable with those miles, hours and schedule, enjoy! that's the beauty of RV travel, flexibility.

Paythebill likes this.