Dogs In Rv And Bark Collars

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by 2cats1dog, Mar 1, 2007.

1. 2cats1dog

2cats1dog
    Expand Collapse

I'm brand new and tried to post but it didn't seem to take. I hope this isn't a duplicate. If it is, my apologies and I'll apply the wet noodle liberally.
    We RV in a 25' 5th wheel and are planning a 2 month trip around the USA this spring. This will be our first long trip with 2 cats and a new dog. We've traveled with our cats before and it's a breeze. Our concern is the dog and when we're out sightseeing for the day. I know many, if not most, RV parks say "Do not leave dogs in RV unattended". We'll have to. Our new dog, 6 months old Corgi mix is extremely mellow and calm (if you can believe that!). But we are afraid she'll bark and whimper when we leave her.
    Any suggestions? What do others do? What about bark collars?

Attached Files:

2. Cheryl Fuller

Cheryl Fuller
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(2cats1dog @ Mar 1 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]6304[/snapback]
    I'm brand new and tried to post but it didn't seem to take. I hope this isn't a duplicate. If it is, my apologies and I'll apply the wet noodle liberally.
    We RV in a 25' 5th wheel and are planning a 2 month trip around the USA this spring. This will be our first long trip with 2 cats and a new dog. We've traveled with our cats before and it's a breeze. Our concern is the dog and when we're out sightseeing for the day. I know many, if not most, RV parks say "Do not leave dogs in RV unattended". We'll have to. Our new dog, 6 months old Corgi mix is extremely mellow and calm (if you can believe that!). But we are afraid she'll bark and whimper when we leave her.
    Any suggestions? What do others do? What about bark collars?

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Actually, I have never seen a sign in an rv park that said not to leave dogs unattended in the RV - we do it all the time. I have seen signs that said that the dog could not be left outside the motorhome unattended, such as chained up or in an X-Pen. When we are sitting outside the dogs are usually in their X-pen with us, but we do not leave them outside alone. When you leave the dog in the motorhome, pull all the shades down so he cannot see outside and leave the tv on - we leave it on the weather channel because there isn't a variation in volume and they can hear calm voices. We normally stay at parks that have cable, but if they don't, we do have a satellite dish - just prefer to not have to get the tripod out and work on aiming the dish if we are only there a short time. The shades down and the tv masking outside sounds should help to cut down on the chance of the dog barking at something he sees or hears...

3. Beastdriver

Beastdriver
    Expand Collapse

I have seen signs and park instructions that say not to leave dogs in the camper, but I believe that is due to the park wanting to avoid a situation where an animal is left inside an unventilated, hot pop-up, travel trailer, or motorhome without air conditioning. We leave our small dog inside the motorhome for hours, but we always leave one air conditioner on, and, like Cheryl, leave the television on for entertainment. I would recommend against bark collars because, in my opinion, there is something inhumane about shocking or spraying a dog when it barks!

4. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

We have been full timing since 1995 with the same dog. He is normally very quite but we still put a bark collar on him. As long as they a quite the collar won't bother them.
    It is much easier to train them not to bark before they get in the habit. I have been in parks that post not to leave you dog unattended. I would think they mean what they say.

5. campinggirl1964

campinggirl1964
    Expand Collapse

Welcome, 2cats1dog! We have a six year old dog who is quite a barker and because of that we have not brought him along on our rving expeditions. Our neighbour has mentioned the collar to me a couple of times but I don't have the heart to put it on him - I've heard it's not a big deal, but it just seems rather cruel. I'm sure some dog obedience classes when he was younger would have helped significantly. I'm looking into a dog trainer now to see if he can help cure him (or us for letting him??) because we would love to be able to bring him with us. There is a thread called "Traveling with Dogs" in the General Chat forum that might help you out (the last post was in November 2006). Happy travels this spring!

6. MaineDon

MaineDon
    Expand Collapse

QUOTE(campinggirl1964 @ Mar 1 2007, 06:54 PM) [snapback]6312[/snapback]

Welcome, 2cats1dog! We have a six year old dog who is quite a barker and because of that we have not brought him along on our rving expeditions. Our neighbour has mentioned the collar to me a couple of times but I don't have the heart to put it on him - I've heard it's not a big deal, but it just seems rather cruel. I'm sure some dog obedience classes when he was younger would have helped significantly. I'm looking into a dog trainer now to see if he can help cure him (or us for letting him??) because we would love to be able to bring him with us. There is a thread called "Traveling with Dogs" in the General Chat forum that might help you out (the last post was in November 2006). Happy travels this spring!

It was our dog, Dilsea (the name means "loyalty" in Gaellic...she is a Welsh Terrier from Halifax, N.S., i.e, Celtic language and "roots") that got us into the RV travel in the first place. We leave her in the RV for up to 4 hours with the AC running, if needed. As long as she has her bed, her toys, her dish, and her water, I think she is fine....with no or minimal barkingwhile we are gone. We've asked neighbors over they years when we've done this, and they say she has been fine and they haven't heard anything.

We do leave the radio on (classical music from PBS has been best for us) and close down the shades. She always seems to be sound asleep when we return. We take her out for exercise and "attention" as soon as we return......and she is definitely an important part of our yearly travel experience.

7. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

Campergirl, the common misconception is that the collars are curl. It is NOT like the shock you get when you stick you finger in a light socket. It is more like a little pinch. I would never do any thing to a dog that I had not tried on myself.

8. 2cats1dog

2cats1dog
    Expand Collapse

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I like the idea of leaving on the TV or radio and closing the shades. Hopefully our little pooch won't be a problem. She's such a sweet little creature.

9. Big Ben

Big Ben
    Expand Collapse

Just about every yapping dog I have been next to was some body's "sweet little creature". They are the ones that miss their Mommy's.

10. tinybluetj

tinybluetj
    Expand Collapse

We Take our dogs all the time. If your dark barks when home alone, he will bark when left in the RV.
    If not, then simply make sure that he is familiar with the RV. He needs to know that is his "home", and you will return. If he is anxious or scared, he will bark. He should be fine! :wub: (insert doggie smiley here)

If that does not work, there are also bark collars the squirt a liquid at the dog when it barks. A little more humane, IMHO.
    Kathryn

11. jmo

jmo
    Expand Collapse

Darling picture, mellow sweet...sounds like she will be fine. Go and enjoy. As Kathryn said I was thinking how she does when you leave home? Maybe act like you are leaving and hang around and see/hear what happens. A little whining during the day won't bother neighbors and I agree she will get the hang of it once used to RV.

Kate