Travelling to Texas

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by PatriciaShel, Apr 9, 2022.

1. PatriciaShel

PatriciaShel
    Expand Collapse

I live in Barrie, On and I was planning on leaving Oct 31 to travel towards Galveston. I like to travel about 3-4 hours a day and stay somewhere for a few days (or week) before moving on...

However, I noticed that campsites near Lake Erie close on Oct. 31. Does this mean that the weather is too iffy to travel then? How far south do I need to go before I find a site that is open after October 31.

I'm new to all this and this will be my first trip south for the winter...I'm looking for some suggestions/advice...

Thank!

2. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

I would suggest you use this site to plan the trip, and for your drive time to see where you might end up. Then call those campground in that area and ask when they shut the park, or if they keep some sites open during the November time frrame . Not all parks close, but travel during the iffy weather times can be difficult.

Paythebill likes this.
  3. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I wish I could be more helpful but I'll add my two cents anyway. We live in Western Canada (near Calgary) and usually head south mid October. We have no problem finding open campgrounds along our route. I'm not sure of Southern Ontario's weather patterns but we have never had to battle "winter" conditions during out trips. I am also not sure of your route but I doubt you will serious cold either. I think you will find that accommodations won't be too hard to find. You will be among many "Snow Birds" heading south.

We plan to spend the summer and fall in your neck of the woods this year so we will be hitting the road with you (two weeks earlier) heading for Alabama (ish). If you click on our Avatar you will find parks that we have used during our travels south. None would be of interest to you until you hit St. Louis if that is on your itinerary,

Safe travels.

Darrell

The5goodwins and Paythebill like this.
  4. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

I would second the vote to take the "Duck Tours"! they can be quite educational, and depending on the tour guide can also be entertaining.

5. RonaldSPatterson

RonaldSPatterson
    Expand Collapse

Take Duck Tours , they will help to visit best place.