Oops, I Dropped A Spoon In My Rv Toilet

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by DXSMac, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Votreraph

Votreraph
    Expand Collapse

I found this post(very old post) looking for an answer about dropping a spoon in my black tank. (At this point, who cares why... it happened)

I bought a 2" fishing magnet. I cut the water and went under the black tank. My wife would look sundown the toilet drain with a flashlight. I moved the magnet under the RV until I felt the spoon move. I measure approximately the distance of the drain from wall inside the bathroom and did the same under the black tank.

By moving the magnet I achieved to bring it exactly where the toilet drain is and my wufe spotted it. I tied a rope to the magnet and "fished it up". (At first, the spoon was in the wrong direction but after some wiggling...it became vertical... got lucky)

I hope one day I can help one person

Have a nice day

NYDutch likes this.
  2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Welcome to the group! I'm glad the magnet trick worked out for you, but for others I suggest testing similar utensils first to make sure they're attracted to the magnet strongly enough for retrieval that way. Real silverware and some stainless steel alloys are not magnetic or weakly magnetic at best. Another suggestion would be to dump the dishwater in the toilet bowl without holding the flush valve open so hopefully you'll notice an overlooked utensil before it becomes a problem.

3. Votreraph

Votreraph
    Expand Collapse

It's true, I tried it before and it worked with the other spoons so I was glad. Yes, I suggested to don't flush the toilet at the same time lol.

4. Dadeo

Dadeo
    Expand Collapse

That spoon would have been a permanent fixture in the black tank. Never to be retrieved.

5. cldamonhall

cldamonhall
    Expand Collapse

Just did the same thing! Had to reach in and and grab it!

6. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Sorry, have to ask... How does one lose a kitchen utensil in the black tank? Why are kitchen utensils anywhere near the bathroom?

7. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I can only guess. For most of us., the grey water tank fills quicker than the black. I know some folks that dump their dish water down the toilet in order to balance the discharge. Lots of people don't do a final check to make sure the dish pan is completely void of utensils. How do I know. As a camp host, I used a metal detector around the sites at the end of the season. You would be amazed at what one finds. :)

Darrell

Paythebill likes this.
  8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Looks like this longtime member had a routine on keeping the black & gray water tanks ballanced :cool:

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  9. vakesef329

vakesef329
    Expand Collapse

We dropped a metal spoon down the toilet once. Went to the dollar store and got a grabber about 2ft long. You push the end and little fingers come out so you can grab things, Anyway after I flushed the tank it was still there and I grabbed it with the tool. Took a little time and then the wife said she didn't want it anyway. What a waste of time xD

Rollin Ollens likes this.
  10. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

That's odd. I'm replying but a copy of your text did not follow. Was your test to see if this result was expected? If it was, you passed. If not then this must be spam!! :)

Darrell

Paythebill likes this.