paper or plastic (or china)?

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Fitzjohnfan, May 22, 2022.

1. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

So, for no reason whatsoever, I thought I'd post this question for discussion. when in your RV, what is your usual routine for dishes and silverware? do you use disposable stuff, or reusable stuff, and wash dishes afterwards? does it make a difference if you are full timing, on a long trip or just out for a weekend?

we will use real plates and cups if we are in an RV park with full hookups (to be able to dump the Grey water), otherwise, we'll use paper plates and plastic cups.

discuss....

later,
    Chris g.

Paythebill and mdcamping like this.
  2. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

We normally use paper plates for meals as they are easy and quick to dispose of and save having to wash every day. For soups and other hot liquid stuff we use plastic bowls, same for salads. For drinking coffee we use our favorite mugs. For cold drinks and wine, etc. we use regular glassware. Eating utensils are regular flatware but on occasion we do use plastic stuff. And we make sure our paper towel inventory is fully stocked as we do use a lot of those So far after all these years this has worked out fine for us..........

BankShot...............(aka Terry)

#2 BankShot, May 22, 2022
    Last edited: May 22, 2022
    Paythebill and mdcamping like this.
  3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

yeah for the most part we lean toward the paper plates, especially with the big meals, also throw in a bunch of paper towels. We do have/use china but for the most part it is for the smaller meals. Eating utensils though it's more toward the metal knives & forks. Most of our serving platters is plastic.

I must say when I do help set a table (indoor or outdoor picnic) it is under the strict guidance of DW... as I know better ;)

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  4. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

We use stoneware and even have the Waterford drinking & wine glasses on board. We are not skrimping on our travel and want to enjoy the lifestle when we are out. Use the dishwasher every 4th day to clean the silverware and plates, and cups. Do use paper plates for breakfast for some reason?? Never stay anywhere other than a rv park plugged in with full hook ups. Just the way we roll.

Paythebill likes this.
  5. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

When staying at a park with shore facilities we use use our dishes, glass and flatware for all meals. When boondocking, some paper plates (depending on type of meal). Breakfast is usually eggs on toast so we can get away with using a paper towel. Lunch is a hot dog or sandwich so again, a paper towel. Dinner is always a sit down so dishes are insisted upon (but wiped clean with a paper towel so less water is needed for washing up). It sounds like we use a lot of paper, but really, we buy the rolls with "half sheets". Trash is minimized as well. Most we can burn. The rest has to be packed out. Our preference is boondocking 'cause we hate having slide to awning neighbors. Gimme the deer and the antelope for neighbors please!

Darrell

Paythebill likes this.
  6. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

We use both paper plates and plastic plates. If at a full hookup site we use plastic plates otherwise paper. Always use metal utensils. Can't stand plastic knives and forks.

michael_moreno likes this.
  7. michael_moreno

michael_moreno
    Expand Collapse

I have a great set of metal dishes with everything from soup plates and hot plates, but I also have a large supply of paper plates on board (I don't like the plastic ones for some reason). We also have paper glasses, glass ones we use only for wine and of course a large supply of paper towels.

8. Janet H

Janet H
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I use a mix of paper and real plates as well, depending on circumstance and all eating utensils are metal. Pet peeve: paper plates that absorb moisture. Soggy plates are a bummer.

Paythebill likes this.
  9. Kristy Taylor

Kristy Taylor
    Expand Collapse

We use plastic plates and plastic forks.