Colorado RV trip

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by maureenngary, Jun 21, 2022.

1. maureenngary

maureenngary
    Expand Collapse

My husband and I are planning a trip to Colorado next month and would like any insight. We are flying into Denver and then taking a RV roadtrip for three weeks. We have stops planned in Black Canyon, Creede, White Sands, Durango, Mesa Verde. After that we have about a week and were going to head to Telluride and then on to Black Hawk Mountain, Lookout Park and or Ridgeway State Park. We have never attempted to boondock on BLM land. Or just boondock along the way without reservations planned. Is that advisable? Pros and cons?

Finally, can anyone tell us if US 145 is okay as far as traveling in a 36 ft. RV? someone commented it is pretty steep and winding mountain road. We would be traveling that between Cortez and Telluride if I am not mistaken.

Thank you for any advice or opinions or suggestions.

Maureen and Gary

2. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

we have driven most of the routes you will be driving with our motorhomes, and last august we drove US 145 with our current 35' class A. this route is very scenic and the pass is a little steep, but use your tranny to slow you down on the downgrade and you will be fine. there is a really cute campground in Deloris we stayed at last year.

as far as BLM land, im not sure what you will find in that area, but most sites like that are first come first served. we do boondock on BLM land near Beuna Vista sometimes, and even though it might get crowded, you can always find a spot. these areas can be prone to campers partying all night, though.

if you have the time and the $$, take the Durango and Silverton train, very spectacular!

also try to spend the night in the national park campground at the sand dunes. they have a nice ranger talk for kids and adults.

try to set aside time to hike down to the ruins in Mesa Verde. viewing them from above doesnt do them justice.

3. maureenngary

maureenngary
    Expand Collapse

Chris,

Thank you for the info and suggestions! Makes me feel alot better about traveling 145.

We will definitely look into the train. that sounds awesome! We had already planned doing the hike down to the ruins!

Do you by chance remember the campground in Delores? We are staying in Delores/Cortez for several nights.

Again, thank you for the info!
    Maureen

Paythebill likes this.
  4. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

i beleve it was the Dolores River Resort.

have a good trip, and feel free to ask, if you have further questions.

maureenngary and Paythebill like this.