"Spam Posts"

Discussion in 'CGR Site Admin, News and Announcements' started by BankShot, Jul 5, 2022.

1. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Just curious..............When a spammer's post gets reported and shortly thereafter is deleted, does that spammer's ID being used to gain access to the forum also get "stricken" from the records so that the user name used cannot be used a second time, etc. For instance when tonynumbnuts joins up and makes his first post selling stuff he should try using himself, is that user name history when an attempt is made to log in to post a second time? One would think that after just a short period of time these morons would get a clue that their posts are going nowhere on this forum and not bother to gain access again. I would imagine it's being handled by the Admins in this manner but just thought I'd ask anyway, Nice to know that when they fire a shot over our bow the first time, the second attempted shot from them is a dud............

BankShot...............(aka Terry)

#1 BankShot, Jul 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  2. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Terry,
    Spammers will just change usernames. If you delete and restrict tonynumbnuts, the spammer will just use a new username example: stevenumbnuts.. and the process starts all over again.

BankShot and mdcamping like this.
  3. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Well Ron, you really had a workout today. What was there seven or eight off topic posts that you reported! Back in the day, when I first joined RV Park Reviews, your first reviews were vetted by sysops before they were allowed to be published. Sometimes it would take a day or two for them to show up but what were published were quality reviews. Maybe it's time to vet Forum Posts for new users before they are published.

I'm sure many of us users would volunteer to vet posts. I would have no problem helping out.

Darrell

BankShot and Paythebill like this.
  4. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Count me in…. ;)

BankShot likes this.
  5. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

Me Three!!! Something needs to be done to get these spam posts off this forum........:mad:

BankShot..............(aka Terry)

Paythebill likes this.
  6. leaf peeper

leaf peeper
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Unfortunately, spammers are part of forums. Once they zero in, they won't go away. It's a game for them to see if they can get something posted before we catch 'em. Out best defense is our great members who notice their posts & report them so we can get their trash off our forum.

As to their user names, the name stays in our database so no one else can register it. However, as pointed out, they'll just spoof a different IP address, get another gmail or yahoo email address & come back with a different display name.

We do have the ability to block registrations from regions that would have no business coming here (i.e. Pakistan, Nepal, Taiwan...etc) to thwart spam registrations.