Hello, noob here…

Discussion in 'Welcome to Campground Reviews' started by SRStarks, Jul 10, 2022.

1. SRStarks

SRStarks
    Expand Collapse

So glad I found this website; such a great source of information and great people. I am just beginning my journey toward rv park ownership, and I say “thank you” up front for replies to my (many) questions.
    Susan

2. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

hi Susan, welcome to the forum! Ask away, and we'll try to offer some helpful info or advice.

regards,
    Chris g.

3. BankShot

BankShot
    Expand Collapse

I'll second what Fitz said, "welcome to the forum". I have a question for you. Where will your RV park be located? If it's within our RVing area we will try to stop by for a visit when we are in your area. If not I'm pretty sure others close by will do so also. Keep us posted on when you are settled in and open for business...................

Good luck with your new venture, BankShot............(aka Terry)

4. SRStarks

SRStarks
    Expand Collapse

Hi and thank you for your replies. I’m in Arizona and my goal is to create an Oasis in the Desert. I am limiting the number of sites because I want to make sure each guest has a best experience possible during their stay. Convenience and up to date features at each site I feel are important to my target market, while at the same time are amenities that are appealing across the board.
    If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations for a design/development firm, or someone who is a knowledgeable in startup details from a-Z, I’d really appreciate the referrals. Thanks again and have a great day e1!

5. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

Welcome, I live in Az and like to see that we are getting another rv park. Would love to hear all about what it is your going to do and also where in the state it will be located. Best of luck on the new adventure.

6. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

you can get advise all over the spectrum of RV park building and ownership, and i can only offer a few suggestions to think about:

1) make sure your electrical system is top notch, and can handle all possible loads. make sure utilities are buried deep enough to avoid damage from tent stakes (did happen). being in the desert, assume most RVs will be pulling close to 50ams with 2 ACs running full blast.

2) make sure your website does not lie or overstate your amenities. dont call yourself a "resort" if all you have is a parking lot with hookups. if you advertise WIFI, be sure and state if its throughout the park or only in certain areas. READ OTHER THREADS HERE about wifi. one residential router in the clubhouse will not cut it for complete park coverage.

3) Bathrooms and showers in RV parks are going more and more for privacy. see if its in your budget to build large, private (possibly unisex/family) showers.

4) try to have good grassy dog walk area(s). a fenced area with a bunch of weeds is not very inviting. having more than one will allow dog owners to make it to the pet area before the dog relieves themself in another site.

just a few suggestions, im sure others here willhave a bunch more.

regards,
    chris g.

mdcamping and SRStarks like this.
  7. SRStarks

SRStarks
    Expand Collapse

Hi- regarding site hookups: are there specific features or upgrades for the electrical system/pedestals to ensure optimal functioning? I want to be sure that every site has the best electrical available so that my guests never have to cut back on usage in order to run their ac(s) full blast.

8. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

i think you can assume that any RV over 30' is going to need 50amp service these days, and 50amp will be needed to run 2 AC units which most larger RVs have. its nice to have a 30amp and 20amp outlets for smaller and older units. just make sure the entire system can handle any load. i've been at parks where everything runs fine most of the time, but as the park fills up and tempuratires rise, campers start getting low voltages and other electrical problems.

just some additional info. i just read an article about KOA turning 60. in the article, they quoted the CEO saying these prices;

" A couple of months ago, speaking at an “RV Park Industry Power Breakfast” in Indiana, O’Rourke acknowledged there aren’t enough campsites to meet demand. But she explained that it would be hugely expensive to do so—$17,000 to $18,000 per site to expand an existing campground, $45,000 to $55,000 per site when building a new park"

mdcamping and SRStarks like this.