Uneven Tire Wear

Discussion in 'Towing, Vehicles, Maintenance and Repairs' started by bottlecrusher, Jul 17, 2022.

1. bottlecrusher

bottlecrusher
    Expand Collapse

Hello folks,

I have a 26 ft travel trailer. I use a weight distribution hitch. I have gotten some very uneven tire wear. I have a couple of tires that are wearing only on one half of the tire and mostly on the inside. I have other tires that are wearing in the middle tread more so than the outside tread. Any ideas of what might be causing this and best practices to correct?? I have been inflating to maximum tire inflation and these are the original tires (except the one that was showing metal and we replaced on the road). Thanks for the help.

2. Paythebill

Paythebill
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Most likely a bent axle. Would be my guess. A axle and suspension shop should be able to inspect and adviseā€¦. Wearing in the middle of the tire usually indicates over inflation.

#2 Paythebill, Jul 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  3. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

might want to check the links/shackles that are holding the leaf springs in place. If that link is worn out it will allow the axle to "shift" making the tires run not true under the trailer. Then you end up with odd wearing tires.

Paythebill likes this.