Grand Teton camping RV and tents

Discussion in 'Destinations and RV Parks' started by BonnieGardner, Aug 1, 2022.

1. BonnieGardner

BonnieGardner
    Expand Collapse

I am planning a 2 week trip to the west for 3 families, 2 have 35' 5ers (52' total length of truck and fifth wheel) and one is using tents. I looked on this forum to see if there has been information I could use to help me find a campground that will accommodate our group. I am having a hard time finding something that is within 30 miles of the Grand Tetons. Most places that have RV spots won't allow tents and those that allow tents have a camper max length of 30'.

Any suggestions?

2. Texasrvers

Texasrvers
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

3. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

i see what you mean. i did some quick research on some parks in the area, and parks that can accomodate larger RVs say "no tents". kinda frustrating since most parks usually mix up their sites.
    has your tent family thought about renting a small RV, like a pop-up trailer or teardrop? these can be towed by most cars, a would qualify as an RV for the RV only parks.

just a thought.

4. John S.

John S.
    Expand Collapse

i know some of the places have no tents due to the number of bears in the area or bison that frequent the area.

5. newkcmoedoe

newkcmoedoe
    Expand Collapse

It won’t help you but there are reasons for no tents in that area. The Tetons are prime grizzly habitat as well as home to large ungulates such as elk and moose. Those animals are not a good mix with tents. And from an economics view land is unbelievably expensive in the Jackson hole area. Rv sites generate higher rental rates than tents so the prudent business plan is cater to RVs, not tents.