Discovering the Northeast

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Travel Concerns' started by DJones10, Aug 2, 2022.

1. DJones10

DJones10
    Expand Collapse

I know this is a wide open question. We have traveled pretty much the whole US except the Northeast. Our average time of travel is 2 to 3 months before heading home to Colorado. I have been going though the forum and copying information on places to stay and visit however some of the posts are over 6 years old. Some of our highlights so far is Nova Scotia, Boston (old town), Niagara Falls, Northern NY, White Mountains, National Parks, Gettysburg and places in between. I am interested in history my wife not so much. However we both enjoy the outdoors. We hike and bike. We try and stay in State and Federal campgrounds and try to take in what nature has to offer. We avoid big cities but will do day trips in if it has historical significance or a must see attraction. It is my turn to plan the trip and reviewing the map and forums it is mind boggling. Too many states. Haha

I read in one post it was recommended to cross into Canada via Sault Ste. Marie then head east to Novia Scotia and work your way down from there.

Thanks for any suggestions on where to start. I realize there is a lot of country to cover. Oh yes we will be towing a 31' fifth wheel if that means anything.

Thanks again

Dave Jones

mdcamping likes this.
  2. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Hi Dave, welcome to the forums! although i really cant help you with your question on the northeast area, id like to say hi from a fellow Coloradan.

Welcome!
    chris g.

mdcamping likes this.
  3. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum!

When we did our trip to NS (yarmouth) and then to PEI, we took the high speed ferry out of Portland ME, the same ferry is now runing out of Bar Harbor ME/Acadia National Park, (just infomation for you) https://www.ferries.ca/thecat/overview

Gettysburg and Lancaster PA are worth stops.
    Niagara Falls is okay, Quebec City was a delight
    White Mountains NH, I would recommend Fransted Family Campground, tons of stuff to visit.
    VT, Winhall Brook COE, lots of VT country charm in the area
    NY, Watkins Glenn State Park and Letchworth State Park were rated in the top ten state parks in the USA. ( I prefer Watkins Glenn as there is more to do in the general area)

if you have any specific questions on an area just let me know and I'll try to help

Mike

Rollin Ollens and Paythebill like this.
  4. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We have/are travelling that route right now. We are Canadian but, in order to save time and gas money, we entered into Minnesota from Manitoba and entered back into Canada through Sault St Marie.

We stayed on the American side for a few days to check out the Soo Locks (definitely take the boat tour).

We did a round about tour to Algonquin Provincial Park (it was on my bucket list) then to Ottawa before heading back down to Niagara Falls. You must to the boat ride into the mist. Maid of the Mist leaves from the American side but Hornblower does exactly the same trip from the Canadian side. History in the area.....quite a bit. “The Olde Angel Inn” located in Niagara on the Lake is the oldest, still in operation, pub in Canada. If you are into winerys, there are plenty to visit in the area as well.

Ottawa obviously has a lot of historical significance (for Canadians) but you, being an American, may be interested as well. Not far away from Ottawa is the “Diefenbunker”. This was built to house the government and related agencies in the even of a nuclear war. It is now a museum.

Next on the “historical” agenda for us was Old Quebec City and the Plains of Abraham. Just an FYI, we had no difficulty speaking only English while we visited the Province of Quebec. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit there. To get to Nova Scotia from Quebec you will have to travel through New Brunswick. But before you get to Nova Scotia you may want to visit Prince Edward Island. We met nothing but very friendly people there. Life is pretty laid back and the landscape is beautiful. If your wife ever read the Anne of Green Gable books, this is where it all took place. Just an FYI. We were a bit disappointed with our visit to “Green Gables”. Sadly, it is pretty much a tourist trap now. But, “Silver Bush” Lucy Montgomery’s (aka Anne) uncles place is exactly what we envision Green Gables to be like. And, if you like good sea food, this is one of the provinces to be in.

Since Nova Scotia is already on your radar, I’m sure you are aware of it’s features. We are here now and love it.

You will not have any difficulty travelling in and around eastern Canada with your 31 ft 5er. You can check our profile if you are interested in seeing where we have spent our nights.

Safe travels

Darrell

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  5. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

I'm glad you posted this Mike. We will be in and around theses areas this fall and I knew you would have some good suggestions. I always try to get my info from the locals.

Thanks

Darrell

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  6. Stiles

Stiles
    Expand Collapse

Hi Mike, we roll from CT so we consider the northeast MA, ME, NH CT, RI. I would suggest stopping along the shore is spots from Mystic CT up to the Coast of Maine. Point Judith RI has a nice campground that will allow you to take ferry day trips out to Block Island and Martha's Vineyard. Either of these islands would be a must if you can. There is also Cap Code which is beautiful but it has it traffic issues June-Sept. Newport RI is fantastic with mansion tours and great restaurants. Then up the MA coast, Glouster MA is a great area along with Newbury Port. All the shore towns up the Maine coast are beautiful especially wells, Kennebunkport, Bar Harbor. If you prefer to stay inland then there is a real nice campground in MA called Normandy Farms. Can be a day trip into Boston from there. There is plenty of noce lakes and camping in NH and VT. Lake Winnipesaukee in NH. Willington VT is a great small VT area along with all the ski mountain towns, Stratton, MT Snow, Killington, Stowe. All have great hiking and chairlift rides. Not to mention Arcadia in Maine. But make reservations early!!

7. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

Goo

Good info for me. Thanks Stiles

Darrell

Paythebill and mdcamping like this.
  8. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

We've done the ferry to Block Island from Point Judith, Fishermans State Park Campground is just down the road where you can ride your bikes from your campsite to the ferry. Block Island is worth the day trip. Fishermans is one of those state campgrounds where you need to book WAY in advance. :cool:

Mike

Paythebill likes this.
  9. mdcamping

mdcamping
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member

Hey Darrell, or anyone who may have a question, I'll try to keep an eye on this thread for questions. (hopefully I can help)

This forum could use more New England members! :cool:

Mike

Paythebill and Rollin Ollens like this.
  10. Rollin Ollens

Rollin Ollens
    Expand Collapse

We
    We probably won't hit your neck of the woods until mid to late October. I hope the RV parks aren't so busy then as it's hard for us to pinpoint arrival dates right now. We will be flying back to Alberta the end of September for a week then returning to New Brunswick to continue our tour of the East Coast. Looking forward to the fantastic fall colors that we have ben hearing about.

Darrell

Paythebill likes this.
  11. DJones10

DJones10
    Expand Collapse

Thanks all for the helpful information. We just got back from camping at Lake Dillon, Colorado. I highly recommend it if you are up or down this way. Lots to do. Anyway will be sorting thru all the new information. This gives me a good start. My wife and I thought we should try this in the fall/ late summer since we are retired. Will post more questions as I go thru my planning

Thanks again

Dave Jones