Jerky slide out Tiffin Open Road Allegro

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by Aardvark079, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Aardvark079

Aardvark079
    Expand Collapse

Hydraulic slide would extend normally. However on retract would shudder. Occasionally the slide would retract, stop, then, with the retract switch in retract, would fully extend. I spent two days with Tiffin and the vendors that made the slide controllers. I realized very quickly that the people at Tiffin did not really know how the switching is wired. They did their best, gave me wiring and hydraulic diagrams and called me back a couple of times when they thought of something else. So, I have no complaints about their willingness to help. Eventually I worked out how the system is wired using my volt/ohm meter and the wiring diagrams. Once I had that worked out, I cut the switch open and found Tiffin had used a cheap little switch with poor contacts. If I completely bypassed the switch with a jump wire, the system worked perfectly. I contacted Tiffin for a switch and found they were using a switch that is used to extend and retract a footrest and it cost almost $70. I found a much more robust switch online for $30 and cheaper shipping. Slide works perfectly.

2. Fitzjohnfan

Fitzjohnfan
    Expand Collapse

Good for you for figuring it out. just proves what my parents said back in the '70s about RV ownership. to be sucessful, you need to be a mechanic, plumber, electrician and carpenter.

Paythebill and Rollin Ollens like this.
  3. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

You found out the problem that I'm sure 99.9% of us other Tiffin owners would never have found. Thanks for posting that.