WiFi at campgrounds

Discussion in 'General Community Discussions' started by garmp, Jul 27, 2022.

1. garmp

garmp
    Expand Collapse

Reading a lot of reviews and checking availability of wifi I find it a bit misleading. As though written by an advertising guy. "Wifi is available!!! Don't tell you that it is only available at the camp store or office 6 miles away! I wish there was a selection area describing the availability. Like, only at the office/store, only near the shower houses, campground wide or only in loop A, B, etc.
    Besides our love for the outdoors my wife & I are both internet junkies. As we're constantly online planning/checking our next stop, searching for eateries, sights, etc.

thanks

mdcamping and Paythebill like this.
  2. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Noting that WiFi is only available in the office or store in a review is worthwhile, but subjective reviews from individual reviewers for park wide WiFi would be of little use in my opinion. The wide variety of equipment available means what works for me may not work for you without a full disclosure of the circumstances. My phone might be really poor for connecting to the park WiFi while your rooftop antenna and repeater gets a great signal. And of course what works on one site may not work at all on another site. As useful as knowing the WiFi status might be, accurately reporting it can be quite difficult.

3. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

I no longer really care if the park has wifi as in many places it is worthless anyway or can't handle the amount of people in the park. I went with Starlink and will use that in all the parks we go to this winter.

4. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

We're looking at Starlink, but so far our AT&T and Verizon based hotspots with unlimited data are doing the job for us at less than half the monthly cost for Starlink.

5. Grizzly Valley Bear

Grizzly Valley Bear
    Expand Collapse

We used to care, now we are grateful to be out of cell range and without internet. We plan everything in advance and play it by ear on departure. It's much more relaxing and it really puts things in perspective as to what is important and creates more adventures, but that isn't for everyone.
    That said, I don't have an internet based business or work online.
    I feel bad for those people, you pay good money at some of these RV parks and don't get what is advertised.
    I will keep gramp's post in mind when I do my reviews and include more detail for those things we don't really pay attention to.
    If you are reading this, and you travel in the Yukon, don't expect wifi or cell service at most camp grounds. Most don't have power, except a few of the larger private ones around Whitehorse, Watson Lake, Dawson, and Haines Junction. Hope that helps if your planning.

6. Happy Camper X2

Happy Camper X2
    Expand Collapse

As I tell my wife, I’m during research. I like my Wi-Fi and since we are seasonal and at camp a lot it is important. Our campground upgraded their Wi-Fi this year. It is better than it was but still not great. I am always looking for something but for 4-5 months I don’t want to spend a fortune.

mdcamping likes this.
  7. Chioda

Chioda
    Expand Collapse

What is Starlink?

8. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

Starlink is a low earth orbit (LEO) satellite Internet service that uses thousands of small satellites to communicate with a unique client terminal/antenna that needs no aiming, just a clear view of the sky. The initial equipment investment is $599 and the monthly subscription price is $110 - $135 depending on whether you want a fixed location service or an easily relocatable service. There's also a new in-motion service available with a $2500 equipment fee.

9. Unlikely Adventurers

Unlikely Adventurers
    Expand Collapse

Don't bother paying the extra dough for roaming with Starlink!
    I just change my service address each time we move to another county (don't bother if we're only moving a few miles).
    Home is in Arizona but we are currently on the Oregon coast. I'm consistently getting between 150 and 225 Mbps download speed and 10 to 25 Mbps upload speed. Been traveling full-time with the Starlink since leaving AZ four months ago. Works like a champ!

weighit likes this.
  10. John & Annette

John & Annette
    Expand Collapse

Unreliable wifi that is not secured is why a just bought a portable wifi hot spot that has secured wifi. I don't use much wifi, but wanted to just pay bills, check email etc. I think for about $135 is a great option. Works anywhere you have cell phone coverage. Just make sure you understand the plan options as some options expire at end of each month. Use it or lose it.

11. NYDutch

NYDutch
    Expand Collapse

I have unlimited data service from both AT&T and the Visible division of Verizon for a bit less than $50/mo in total. My AT&T plan is is grandfathered and no longer offered, but my Visible plan is readily available from $25 to $40/mo depending on the features desired.

12. weighit

weighit
    Expand Collapse

We were in a rv park in Apache Junction, Az for most of the winter. You could look across the rv park and see the Verison tower 1/2 mile away. The fellow parked next to us was using Verison as his interent service and could not connect. He could only get one bar on his phone, sometimes.I gave him our Starlink pass word and allowed him to use our system. His use never effected our use one bit.